Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

We need a New forum just for Modern and Bullion threads.....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 out of the 19 threads on the first page are about modern and bullion stuff....arrrrrrrrrrgh!image

Comments

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    They are the most active Registry Sets and this is the Set Registry Fourm
  • Options

<< <i>15 out of the 19 threads on the first page are about modern and bullion stuff.... >>

There's a message in there somewhere...image
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>15 out of the 19 threads on the first page are about modern and bullion stuff....arrrrrrrrrrgh!image >>

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    What's so wrong with Moderns? Oh wait...that's right you despise them. Don't worry; your great grandchildren will thank me for saving my modern crap when they collect their classics in the future!!

So here is a your welcome to them!!image
  • Options
    I'm sorry but todays moderns will NEVER be tomorrows classics!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

They will still be ugly and there will be billions of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    So you're suggesting they do away with the Registry forum and turn it into a modern/bullion forum?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    The registry is more friendly to moderns since you don't need to have half the wealth of Venezuela to complete the sets in high grades.

Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd have to toss in $20 Saints, $20 Libs, and lots of other classics as well as they are very close to being bullion as well.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    The registry is more friendly to moderns since you don't need to have half the wealth of Venezuela to complete the sets in high grades.

Badger

That's just it..................you have to have deep pockets to pay the stupid money that high grade moderns bring. Which I don't understand at all...why not buy beautiful classic coins with all of that money instead of butt ugly moderns!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sorry but todays moderns will NEVER be tomorrows classics!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

They will still be ugly and there will be billions of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

So we might as well use the circulation issues for pocket change and
    the bullion coins for a store of wealth. The proofs will be OK as presen-
    tation pieces and all those half and dollars can be employed as commem-
    oratives.

I think you have the "final solution" for the "modern problem".

As to the future, no one will want to remember anything after 1965 anyway.
    The numismatic world ended when silver was removed from the coinage. If
    Congress wanted people to have coins they would give them to us for free
    or require that we purchase them.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RoadRunner - I don't know how you figure that $20 Saints and Libs are bullion!?image

CladKing - Yes, spending is ALL that the clad coins good for. I can see collecting them in the 66 - 67 range to complete sets. But the ultra high grades going for thousands is just crazy.

I still don't see how a coin made yesterday by the billions in MS70 can be worth 10K to someone when you can get a 69 for next to nothing and you can get a 66 or 67 out of almost any mint set. These coins ARE NOT RARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Ya and this forum is just so active that it realy clogs it up!

Get real!!!!!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ya and this forum is just so active that it realy clogs it up!

Get real!!!!! >>

Amen.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>RoadRunner - I don't know how you figure that $20 Saints and Libs are bullion!? >>

Probably because most of them are. PCGS has graded more Saints then every modern series combined.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry but todays moderns will NEVER be tomorrows classics!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

They will still be ugly and there will be billions of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

First it is YOUR OPINION THAT THEY ARE UGLY. Personally I happen to like a bunch of the modern series and don't collect ANYTHING before 1965. I may have a grand total of 10 coins in my house before that date with many thousands after.

Second, who says there will be billions of them?? The only ones being saved are from collectors. The rest get used in circulation which makes them worthless since they aren't MS and then they get destroyed or lost. They may have made billions of them, but there will not be billions of them in High Grade in 40-50 yrs.

The high grade ones are already hard to find. You would know that if you got off you modern bashing pedestal for 10 minutes. But oh well...if you don't like what I collect thats fine by me, enjoy your ugly seated coins and the rest of them that you so fondly collect!
  • Options

<< <i>The registry is more friendly to moderns since you don't need to have half the wealth of Venezuela to complete the sets in high grades.

Badger >>

That is Funnyimage!

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The registry is more friendly to moderns since you don't need to have half the wealth of Venezuela to complete the sets in high grades.

Badger

That's just it..................you have to have deep pockets to pay the stupid money that high grade moderns bring. Which I don't understand at all...why not buy beautiful classic coins with all of that money instead of butt ugly moderns! >>

Ahhh..because YOU don't understand something, others shouldn't collect the way they want but rather the way YOU want?
    I see.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Every few months Dimeman has to cry and moan against the moderns and bullion coins. He starts a thread then cries about what trash they are. I do agree a new forum about moderns and bullion would be welcomed by me. I get tired of idiots like Dimeman squawking about things he doesn't know anything about. I say go back to your shoebox of crusted pieces of yester year because no one here thinks that if your brain was TNT you could even blow your nose.

We collect what we like and I don’t understand why you can’t get that through your head. No one cares that you hate these wonderful coins as millions of people are extremely excited about them. These people will set the value of these coins not whiney old codgers like Dimeman.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Every few months Dimeman has to cry and moan against the moderns and bullion coins. He starts a thread then cries about what trash they are. I do agree a new forum about moderns and bullion would be welcomed by me. I get tired of idiots like Dimeman squawking about things he doesn't know anything about. I say go back to your shoebox of crusted pieces of yester year because no one here thinks that if your brain was TNT you could even blow your nose.

We collect what we like and I don’t understand why you can’t get that through your head. No one cares that you hate these wonderful coins as millions of people are extremely excited about them. These people will set the value of these coins not whiney old codgers like Dimeman. >>

Here WE GO again.......image

Ken
  • Options

"millions of people love these beautiful coins"

Where the heck to you get this crap. There's a handful of you idiots that love these butt ugly coins and you want to say you know all about coin collecting and badmouth me.

Most of the modern and bullion lovers are only in it to flip coins to you idiots that will pay STUPID money for coins you can get in circulation in a few grades less.

I sure would hate to be the last idiot holding that 15K 2003-P cent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here WE GO again.......image >>

Kinda like M*A*S*H*'s "Five O'Clock Charlie".
    Pick the date & time of the next attack. image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ground Hog Day!!!
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I personally would like to see a circulation strike clad coinage forum. There could also be a modern proof
    and satin finish strike forum also (just so their threads don't clog the aforementioned forum.)
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a dimeman forum. Then he could go there everyday and dish other peoples collections.

edited for modern crap spelling.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here WE GO again.......image >>

Kinda like M*A*S*H*'s "Five O'Clock Charlie".
    Pick the date & time of the next attack. image >>

Sure, I remember him.

His bombing was so off the mark that it was perfectly
    safe to go out and watch him miss. Wagers were taken
    on the exact amount by which he'd miss.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I do feel that I am now betraying my modern roots. I just bought a proof half dime. I think that is classic? It was pretty.

Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    YAWN !!!

Haven't we seen/heard this show before.

Sorry, Dimeman but you are one sandwich short of a picnic on this one.

Moderns support Classics and vice versa.

Most young up and coming collectors will start with change and then possible get interested in the older coins.

Putting others down for collecting certain coins is very childish.

There are many collecting that were born after 1964 on these forums.

These threads are getting old.

• Options
    This is sad......sad for Dimeman. Get a life.

Eric
  • Options
    I'm not putting anyone down! Collect what you want! But it is what it is........moderns are ugly and are NOT rare!!!!!!
  • Options
    Dimeman,
    I like Classics too.
    Starting in Lincoln Cents, I rolled into Large Cents.

I collect many classic type coins, buffalo and merc dimes ect.

However, I am not collecting AE silver and gold....

Why, I just choose not to. I am not a platinum collector either.

All collectors add to the hobby.

OK, for the record I do believe some coins are uglier than others....
    I just don't care if other love them, ugly or not.
    Even in the classics, there are some less than pretty coins out there.

I enjoy mint errors and die varieties. But, those are ugly to some......

We'll, Large Cents and reading Dr Sheldon's "Penny Whimsy" got me started.

We can all benefit from the Good, The Bad and the Ugly! (Now, thats a good movie as well!)

There are rare moderns as well as common classic coins.
    Of course, most of the modern rarities tend have some die varieties that tend to be rare.

But it seems to drive you nuts that a 2007-D MS69 SF Lincoln cent is worth more than a 1878 7TF Reverse of 1878 Morgan Dollar in MS64.

It's just the way it is.

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But it is what it is........moderns are ugly and are NOT rare!!!!!! >>

Okay, put your capabilities to the test...

Please locate in spare change the following Jefferson Nickel dates in Mint State 65 Full Steps... all must be PCGS certified by you within the next 6 months:

1960-D
    1961-D
    1968-D
    1969-D
    1969-S
    1970-D

And here's the math... a 60-D... maybe 30K because it would be unique... the 61-D... there is only 1 other which PCGS says is a 27.5K coin... the 65, only 1 other (5K)... the 66 would be a pop 5 coin (3K)... the 67 would be a unique coin (12K)... the 68-D would be a top pop of 1 coin (12K)... the 69-D would be unique (at least 15K)... the 69-S would be unique (15K)... and the 70-D would be a pop 2 coin (5K). Hum... basicly you could make a ballpark of 124.5K just off these nine coins... funny how most of the ones searching for these holy grail coins have never seen one, but the uneducated think there easily found.

So, you say the moderns are ugly (yeap... I fight so you can express your opinion... in some countries around the globe, you wouldn't want to publicly announce your disdain for what the government does) and there are billions of these coins available... my second question to you is... do you collect every grade of dimes and every dime you see from your series of specialty? I doubt it. Neither do most of us (even I only hoard Jeffersons in mint state and some major varieties in lower grades).

I really do appreciate the fact you don't collect these coins... it makes them that much cheaper for me to hoard.

Finally... Thank You very much for your level of knowledge... you have saved all of the modern collectors! I think all of us who used to collect moderns should give you all the credit for this intervention.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Now, go back to your collection of dimes and be happy. You are the best friend any of us could have.image

Oh, and I forgot one last thing... Thanks for the modern thread you added to the boards... 16 out of 20. Good Job!

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "a 60-D... maybe 30K because it would be unique"

That would be for an MS64FS coin - we already saw one of those sell.

A true MS65FS 1960-D - a whole lot more than $30k I suspect - maybe $50,000??!!!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Steve you made my point. These Jeffs you just listed are not rare...they are expensive with FS. It would be like me calling a 1945-P dime rare. They are dirt common, but a 67 with FB is 45K. That is stupid money when you can buy the same coin without the bands for 40 or so bucks. Jeffs and Lincolns and even Washington quarters are not to be thrown in with the modern butt ugly Ike, SBA, and ALL other modern dollars. I don't know why they can't design a pretty dollar. They almost did in 1977 with the Liberty, but NO they had to make possibility THE uglyist coin EVER!!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the modern stuff is darn pretty. You must admit that.

Ken

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "These Jeffs you just listed are not rare..."

I believe even guys like the senior brass over at Heritage have stated that they have never come across a gem FS 1960-D Jeff nickel (despite hard searches in the 1960's and early 70's!) PCGS has already graded a few handfuls of key date 1926-S nickels in gem grade (close to $100,000 coins). No one has ever seen a true gem FS 1960-D nickel - yet dimeman firmly argues the coin is not "rare".

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    The best way for this whole thing to end is to have PCGS give DIMEMAN his own forum with him as the only member then he could ARGUE with Himself forever.
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed
  • Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>Steve you made my point. These Jeffs you just listed are not rare...they are expensive with FS. It would be like me calling a 1945-P dime rare. They are dirt common, but a 67 with FB is 45K. That is stupid money when you can buy the same coin without the bands for 40 or so bucks. >>

Dimeman...you can't compare two dis-similar coins to evaluate "stupid money"...the coin stands on it's own merits. 1916 Mercury dimes are dirt common...but it's not "stupid money" to pay 100 times their price for the same coin with a little "D" on the reverse. The same applies to the FS nickels you're talking about.

Some people collect dates, others like to collect quality. Because others build their collections differently than you doesn't make them wrong. image
  • Options

<< <i>We need a New forum just for Modern and Bullion threads..... >>

WHY?

I collect both, Modern and Classic, it is nice to have both on the same forum. If you don't like one or the other, then only open up the threads that interest you. As the saying goes, "live and let live".

JMHOimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please locate in spare change the following Jefferson Nickel dates in Mint State 65 Full Steps... all must be PCGS certified by you within the next 6 months:

1960-D
    1961-D
    1968-D
    1969-D
    1969-S
    1970-D >>

Ever notice that modern bashers never take up this kind of challenge? Even though the payoff would be HUGE? Okay, I'll make it even easier. Just locate any 1965 through 1967 SMS coin in DCAM, any denomination. Should be no problem. Afterall, they're just common modern crap.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Please locate in spare change the following Jefferson Nickel dates in Mint State 65 Full Steps... all must be PCGS certified by you within the next 6 months:

1960-D
    1961-D
    1968-D
    1969-D
    1969-S
    1970-D >>

Ever notice that modern bashers never take up this kind of challenge? Even though the payoff would be HUGE? Okay, I'll make it even easier. Just locate any 1965 through 1967 SMS coin in DCAM, any denomination. Should be no problem. Afterall, they're just common modern crap.

Russ, NCNE >>

Hell, I'd go one better. Just try to find any of the later dates in nice attractive VF.

Then after you search a few rolls of uncs come back and tell us that there are still
    millions out there.

Nobody cared about grade in those days and some of the coins weren't set aside.
    There aren't millions to check and even if there were millions to check it would mean
    just millions of inferior coins. That might not be a gem in the lot.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>15 out of the 19 threads on the first page are about modern and bullion stuff....arrrrrrrrrrgh!image >>

I do not have a problem with it. If you do not like modern stuff, then just scroll down past it. I scroll past lost of stuff, it is much easier than switching forums.
  • Options

<< <i>"a 60-D... maybe 30K because it would be unique"

That would be for an MS64FS coin - we already saw one of those sell.

A true MS65FS 1960-D - a whole lot more than $30k I suspect - maybe $50,000??!!!

Wondercoin >>

Mr Wondercoin,

uhhh... that's why I said "maybe" image It's moon money (or I hit the lottery bigtime) to me.

Mr Dimeman,

Please don't tap dance your way out of it... your blanket statement that "I'm sorry but todays moderns will NEVER be tomorrows classics!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will still be ugly and there will be billions of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" just shows exactly what you know... absolutely nothing about the modern series or the rarities that are sprinkled throughout. Many people I highly respect on these boards have tried to tell you, but you won't listen... too bad for you.

Keep enjoying your classics, but do us all a favor and lose the negativity against what others enjoy.
    It is, by the way, our choice to collect them.

Steve

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    FS Jeffs and twincam...you missed the whole point. You can not compare a 16 dime to a 16-D dime! Those are a different coins altogether. Where as a 60-D Jeff and a 60-D FS IS the same coin date and mint. One just has a hair more detail. You can get (according to the price list) that 60-D in 65 without the steps for 30 bucks, which is exactly the difference that I used with the 45-P Merc. Those bands ARE STUPID MONEY!!!!

All I am saying is that a 1960-D Jeff is common as dirt just like the 45-P dime, buy very rare and expensive with the FS and FB designations!

There are several Mercs. that have moon money price tags if you want the bands. I would rather have a 67 without the bands than a 65 with bands and pay a lot less to boot.

If you look at my set you will see my coins are NOT all unc and most of my Mercs and Roosies are NOT FB. I will not pay the moon money for the bands. I would rather have a higher grade.

That is all I am saying!
  • Options
    No one has missed the point that you are a jerk. At least that is perfectly clear. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't get into the name-calling but I will say that people should stop whining about a "new forum" here and a "new forum" there...
    It isn't like the registry pages get so full in just minutes/hours/days (like the USCF does) that it is difficult to do a quick glance.

I am one of those that doesn't feel like I need to go into someone's house and tell them what they should improve, or do my way, but rather, I go in, enjoy what the host has and, if I want something else, I go elsewhere.

There are some ideas that have large merit but, for the forum listings themselves, just leave things where they are as PCGS is comfortable with that and it is their house.
    And....people are comfortable with classics and moderns...why does one group (usually the classics) feel they need to exert control?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Dimeman,

Your change of the subject still hasn't worked... read the title of your thread and your comments concerning moderns. Your blanket statements against moderns had nothing to do with bands, steps or strike... just moderns. Since you still haven't gotten it or appologized... nevermind.

<< <i>why does one group (usually the classics) feel they need to exert control? >>

Bochiman... Amen brother Amen!

Steve

• Options

<< <i>FS Jeffs and twincam...you missed the whole point. You can not compare a 16 dime to a 16-D dime! Those are a different coins altogether. Where as a 60-D Jeff and a 60-D FS IS the same coin date and mint. One just has a hair more detail. You can get (according to the price list) that 60-D in 65 without the steps for 30 bucks, which is exactly the difference that I used with the 45-P Merc. Those bands ARE STUPID MONEY!!!!

All I am saying is that a 1960-D Jeff is common as dirt just like the 45-P dime, buy very rare and expensive with the FS and FB designations!

There are several Mercs. that have moon money price tags if you want the bands. I would rather have a 67 without the bands than a 65 with bands and pay a lot less to boot.

If you look at my set you will see my coins are NOT all unc and most of my Mercs and Roosies are NOT FB. I will not pay the moon money for the bands. I would rather have a higher grade.

That is all I am saying! >>

Dimeman:
    That is just crazy!

I like merc dimes, but much prefer the FB versions.
    You seem more like a Dansco, nice circulated collector.
    At least that way you won't get ripped paying moon money for coins.
    OH, I almost forgot..Those classics are really common too in lower grades!

Just stay two steps down from the top grades and you can collect alot for cheap.....

Come on. Collect all ms65 mercs for all I care, but most are not that rare.
    Take on a challenge and get some FB dimes.

• Options

<< <i>I won't get into the name-calling but I will say that people should stop whining about a "new forum" here and a "new forum" there...
    It isn't like the registry pages get so full in just minutes/hours/days (like the USCF does) that it is difficult to do a quick glance.

I am one of those that doesn't feel like I need to go into someone's house and tell them what they should improve, or do my way, but rather, I go in, enjoy what the host has and, if I want something else, I go elsewhere.

There are some ideas that have large merit but, for the forum listings themselves, just leave things where they are as PCGS is comfortable with that and it is their house.
    And....people are comfortable with classics and moderns...why does one group (usually the classics) feel they need to exert control? >>

I don't think making suggestions on the format of a Message Board equates to going to someone's house. This is a forum for PCGS and coin collectors in general so if there are members who want to see a change there is no harm, shame or insult in suggesting so if done respectfully. You disagree with a new forum but that is one opinion, there are others here that are really sick of modern bashers and would hopefully reduce it with a new forum. Maybe not but it has some merit.
  • Options
    Griv,

Great point.
    However, many of us collect both.

It is rather senseless to divide when we all collect US coins in this forum.

It is like getting into a "Which Car is Best" discussion.

Many flavors out there for everyones taste.
    Some just want to get in your face about your decision.