Home U.S. Coin Forum

What the hell did Heritage do to their online listing

Comments

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big problem is there's a very large FUN auction coming up and it takes alot of homework at home before going to Florida.

This is going to make it very difficult and will make it less likely that I will (a) find what is being offered and (b) feel comfortable bidding.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow i hadn't checked there for a while but they must have hired the same guys that tried to "impove" the ebay search system. Checked the 2&3 cent pieces and everything is just all mixed up--no order. It definately sucks--Someone please email them this thread and tell them to change it back or i will certainly not be spending much time there anymore. The website before was easy to use - If changes like this are made and the website becomes more difficult to get around in-their business will surely go down. People need 'ease- of- use' websites- not complicated 'hard- to- manipulate- in', types of websites. Bob

Edited to add---WHERE IS THE OPT OUT BUTTON? At least ebay let you opt out and go back to the old system.
  • raysrays Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I much prefer the old format. It was very easy to use and intuitive.
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭
    toooo difficult to navigate
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Ok, it's clearly not well-designed. We are the guinea pigs here.

I'm trying to look at auctions and buy-it-now's keep coming up. What? And the coins aren't in date order. It's very confusing to say the least. It has potential, but it's early
    beta level, no way it was ready yet. Roll it back, tweak it, give it a real beta somewhere, then go live.
    Just did a search for "VAM" in the auctions and now I have 10 pages of virtual bourse overpriced garbage to wade through. Doesn't seem to be a way to avoid this.
    Ouch, this is really awful.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played with it more last night. If you want to find something very spcific in the auction archives, you can do it. BUT, it used to be much easier to look down the various columns and pick out grades, services, prices, frequency of appearances, etc.

Trying to look at the new catalog prospectively is impossible! image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty web savvy, but MAN is that clunky!

The old system seemed to work fine for me.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • This system is just simply terrible! For those of us who are not computer geeks it is just about the most convoluted and user unfriendly navigation system on any of the auction websites.
    What used to be a simple, clear and easy to use system has now become an unbelievably complex labyrinth that pays great homage to the designer's ego but does nothing but complicate what used to be a simple and highly functional system that all of us could use.
    I tried every combination of words to search for a 1909 S Lincoln in ms 64 red.
    I got mostly 1909 VDB red-brown, 1909 liberty nickels and a few barber dimes.
    No 1909S VDB coins at all.
    Ok! Heritage, you have proven that you can produce a system that would make MIT graduates and NASA scientists envious--- now give us back the one that was usable! Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins website: www.djwcoin.com
    dalias13@hotmail.com

• << <i>Tried it. I can use it but it is a serious regression in usability from the prior page. The number of clicks to set up a filter and the limited number of coins that I can see without scrolling is a real downside.

keoj >>

I totaly agree.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    All targets met
    All systems working
    All customers satisfied
    All staff eager and enthusiastic
    All pigs fed and ready to fly.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Good!!

Ken

• << <i>I did a search for 1877 Indian Cents and a bunch of 1939-S Lincoln cents showed up because the PCGS population is... Guess what....1877! >>

Yes it did pull up a bunch of Lincolns, but one more click, hit indian cents in the left hand column and it filters only the indian cents the 39's go away. The program has a few glitchs, but what I'm seeing, reading the complaints, is people simply aren't used to the system and haven't learned to navigate it. One other user complained about not being able to filter out the buy it nows and only show the auctions. Well this took me all of 3 seconds to figure out. And required 3 mouse clicks. One thing that is different, the auctions are organized by ending date rather than date, which makes sense. But sometimes it's nice to show dates in order. There might be a way around this, haven't played long enough to know. One feature I really like is the quick stats in the left column. You can quickly see how many pcgs, MS63, and so on. I see this system as having potential, and I'll be one of the few that admits I like it.

• << <i>This system is just simply terrible! For those of us who are not computer geeks it is just about the most convoluted and user unfriendly navigation system on any of the auction websites.
    What used to be a simple, clear and easy to use system has now become an unbelievably complex labyrinth that pays great homage to the designer's ego but does nothing but complicate what used to be a simple and highly functional system that all of us could use.
    Ok! Heritage, you have proven that you can produce a system that would make MIT graduates and NASA scientists envious--- now give us back the one that was usable! Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins website: www.djwcoin.com >>

Type in 1909-S Lincoln in search, then sort MS64 then sort Red in left column, at the bottom sort results by: item title A to Z. This will display all the 1909-S MS64 Red lincolns. Like I said earlier, just takes some getting used to. Total mouse clicks 4. Simple as that.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Did they hire the same consultants who reformatted CW?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What used to be a simple, clear and easy to use system has now become an unbelievably complex labyrinth that pays great homage to the designer's ego >>

That one sentence says it all.

Russ, NCNE

• << <i>

<< <i>This system is just simply terrible! For those of us who are not computer geeks it is just about the most convoluted and user unfriendly navigation system on any of the auction websites.

David J Weygant Rare Coins website: www.djwcoin.com >>

Type in 1909-S Lincoln in search, then sort MS64 then sort Red in left column, at the bottom sort results by: item title A to Z. This will display all the 1909-S MS64 Red lincolns. Like I said earlier, just takes some getting used to. Total mouse clicks 4. Simple as that. >>

Sorry--- It's NOT as simple as that. I tried to follow what you said and got lost somewhere between search and sort. I really hate to display my computer ignorance this way but that's how it is.
    I'm really computer stupid but I handled the previous Heritage Archives easily.
    I was right in the middle of some extensive research in preparation for the upcoming FUN show and I am now shut down and stymied.
    It may be "just as simple as that" to you but the whole thing is simply too complicated for me to spend the time trying to figure it out.
    I just don't think all the new "bells and whistles" have added anything really meaningful and necessary when at the expense of complicating and rendering useless(for me anyway) a system I really relied on for important research.
    Now what used to take just a few seconds to look up all prices realized has become a much more time consuming adventure.
    It's tough to bid on expensive coins that I can't research so I guess I'll have to rely on published price lists the way we all did before there was a Heritage Archives.
    Maybe as time goes by my grandkids can lead me through this mess as they did with my dvd player.
    Dave W

dalias13@hotmail.com
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    If I was a consignor, I would not be too happy right now.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh crap! What a mess! They must have hired some coders from "if it ain't broke, let's fix it anyway eBay".

Russ, NCNE >>

I think their coders are trying to build up their resumes so they can get jobs at eBay.
  • BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

Agree!

Should have left things the way they were!
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

<< <i>I really hate to display my computer ignorance this way but that's how it is. >>

It isn't your computer ignorance that's the problem. It's the new layout. Even if it were, Heritage - and anybody with a coin web site for that matter - needs to realize that a large percentage of their customers are NOT computer geeks. In fact, many of the biggest spenders are those that are a bit older and didn't grow up with PC's. It is imperative that they keep things simple and easy to use. The previous site accomplished that quite well.

Russ, NCNE
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    i just tried it. i had complaints of the old for example.
    when i wanted to see 1865P half eagles i would end up pulling
    up all 1865 half eagles. like 1865-S also.

now i cannot do even that.

sad sad day at heritage. this is quite embarrassing and useless
    without an hour of tweaking and figuring it out.
  • This is the kind of situation where you find out a lot of interesting things about a company. Anyone can make a mistake, although this one looks like it was done and implemented without anyone at HA trying it themselves. And since they've always had their act together in most ways, this is surprising. So now, how they deal with the displeasure of a lot of us regular customers will tell the tale. Stick to their guns, or back off and let us use their site easily again?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh crap! What a mess! They must have hired some coders from "if it ain't broke, let's fix it anyway eBay".

Russ, NCNE >>

I couldn't have said it better myself.
    I'd think most folks at Heritage aren't computer geeks either and had no idea what was coming.
  • 1. There is nothing you did with the old version that you cannot do with the new "improved" version. It might take an extra click or two but its all there. There is also a lot of new functionality.

2. I've never seen so much whining about a service that is FREE!

Who is John Galt?
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen so much whining about a service that is FREE!

Yeah, right - like there's no profit motivation in bringing me back to that site again and again. image

• << <i>1. There is nothing you did with the old version that you cannot do with the new "improved" version. It might take an extra click or two but its all there. There is also a lot of new functionality.

2. I've never seen so much whining about a service that is FREE! >>

Fine. You like it. But no need to get hostile.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• << <i>Yeah, right - like there's no profit motivation in bringing me back to that site again and again. >>

Regardless of the motive it is the BEST free resource on the net.

Who is John Galt?

<< <i>2. I've never seen so much whining about a service that is FREE! >>

The service certainly isn't free to their consignors, and they are the ones that will be hurt by this mess.

Russ, NCNE
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    ah, lets blame the user. so typical!

many of us have used 100s of web interfaces from many different
    webpages. if we cannot figure it out in a few seconds to a whole
    minute..

well it is broken! HA's fault. not the user.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah, right - like there's no profit motivation in bringing me back to that site again and again. >>

Regardless of the motive it is the BEST free resource on the net. >>

Sounds like a statement from someone who will soon be out of business.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

• << <i>The service certainly isn't free to their consignors, and they are the ones that will be hurt by this mess. >>

About this mess you are referring to. I notice that Stacks has their January auction 2 days before Heritage. You can currently see exactly zero coins from this sale on their website. In contrast, you can now see over 5500 coins from the upcoming Heritage sale. What am I missing?

Who is John Galt?
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Heritage!!! Are you listening?

I have consigned many coins to you and I buy many from you. This new system SUX and I will take my business to your competition. I dont have the time to "figure it out". Sorry.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

<< <i>What am I missing? >>

The point.

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>1. There is nothing you did with the old version that you cannot do with the new "improved" version. It might take an extra click or two but its all there. There is also a lot of new functionality.

2. I've never seen so much whining about a service that is FREE! >>

Free? Heritage charges 15% commission to the auction winner. For buy-it-now coins, the price is
    set by Heritage and includes all their overhead. For Virtual Bourse items, Heritage again takes a commission from the seller.

Free my left nut.

• << <i>The point. >>

Ah, it's all clear now.image

Who is John Galt?

• << <i>Moose, you seem to have found two bugs in the new system -- one that we were aware of (proof coins in auction previews), and one that we were not (sorting of coins in previews).

The system is designed so that you can choose to look at all Indian Cents together, or only circulation strikes, or only proofs. That works for current auctions and the archives now; just go to the "Finish" field and click on "MS/Unspecified" for only circulation strikes, or "Proof" for only proof coins. This feature works on auctions available now and for the archives, and will be fixed for previews soon, ETA tomorrow.

In addition, the system is designed that by default you will be looking at coins in previews by date order. There are a couple of exceptions -- featured coins (the big money stuff) comes first, and the sort is actually done on PCGS number order, so some pieces, mostly cameo and deep cameo proofs, might come at the end -- which is actually a slightly more efficient way than our previous sort worked. Items in past and current auctions are sorted by lot number and ending time, which is also generally a date sort.

The sort order on preview items apparently broke between we reviewed this and when it went live. We are already in the process of fixing this, as I've both reported it as a bug and had several exchanges with the person who will be fixing it as I've been writing this post.

All this having been said, we're well aware that we've moved things around quite a bit, and that the website will take a bit of getting used to. We believe it will be worth it, as the searching capability we provide now is far more powerful than has ever been available before. We are still getting the kinks out, and we will be tinkering with things as we receive feedback.

To help, here are a few tips about the guided navigation searches that power this site.
    ------------

What is Guided Navigation?
    Guided navigation is the ability to add and remove keywords and categorizations of items to filter your results. As you add these filters, they appear in the breadcrumb trail above the search results. You can remove any filter from the breadcrumb trail at any time.

How do I narrow my search?
    You can add a filter in the left column, such as "Coin Category", "Current Bid Range", "Reserve Status" "Coin Grade", and so on. Each time you make such a selection, the listing of results will become smaller, showing only those items that meet all the criteria you have selected. You can also enter one or more keywords, such as "1909-S", if that will help your search. Sometimes a new selection will open up new sub-selection possibilities; for instance, once you choose to look for Silver and Related Dollars, you can then choose Morgan Dollars, Early Dollars, Peace Dollars, or whichever suits your collecting interests best.

How do I expand my search?
    You can add or drop fields or keywords from your results at any time. Above the listing of results is a complete list of the filters you have selected. Click on the remove link next to any filter to remove it, and the page will refresh to show all items matching the new broader specifications.

For Example:
    Imagine - you collect Indian Head Cents. You want the highest quality coins available, and you are only interested in Red coins. How do you search for them on the Heritage site?

Currently, you can browse or search for "Indian Cents," by clicking on "Indian Cents" in the browse listings or by choosing "Indian Cents" from the drop-down menu on the search page. But that's it - you are at the sometimes perilous mercy of the descriptions of the coin. Add a keyword search for "Red", and you will see Red coins... as well as Red and Brown ones. If you are looking for proof coins as well as uncirculated pieces, you're completely out of luck.

Our targeted searches, to be unveiled soon, are much more powerful. Choose one from Coin Category:

Half Cents
    Large Cents
    Small Cents
    Two and Three Cent Pieces
    Nickels
    Half Dimes
    (etc.)

Now, you'll see a more detailed set of coin categories:

Flying Eagle Cents
    Indian Cents
    Lincoln Cents

Click on Small Cents and then Indian Cents, and you'll see a listing of all Indian Cents, both circulation strikes and proofs. Now, choose one from Coin Designation:

BN
    RB
    RD
    CA
    DC

You can choose the designation of your coin directly, rather than have to depend on keywords! And only those designations that actually apply to your search will show; you won't have to search through meaningless terms like Full Steps when you are looking for Indian Head Cents. Of course, you might now want to look at only circulation strikes, so choose MS/Unspecified (the default) from Coin Finish:

MS/Unspecified
    Proofs

What about grading service? Our many Registry Set collectors might have that on their mind. If this matters to you, go to Coin Grading Service and choose the service -- or services -- that most interest you; you can choose as many as you want:

NGC
    PCGS
    ANACS
    ICG

And maybe you're only interested in the finest available quality. From Coin Grade choose the grade -- or grades -- you're looking for:

AU50-AU58
    MS60-MS62
    MS63
    MS64
    MS65
    MS66
    MS67
    MS68

Or even a featured Coin in an auction, or one of our inventory highlights:

Featured
    New Inventory
    JH Exceptional
    Virtual Bourse

And, if you like - add a keyword (use the box right below "Refine Your Results"):

To change your search from Indian Head Cents to Nickels, click "Remove" next to your selection of Indian Head Cents at top, then choose "Nickels" from the list of denominations on the left.

Keep in mind always that your available search selections are on the left side of the page, and that the listing of selections you've already made is at the top, and that you can always remove a selection you've already made by clicking on the "Remove" link next to it. Remember: you can make your selections in any order! >>

Well Stewart, I'm so glad you 'splained everything. After reading this three or four times I am more hopelessly confused than ever.
    I only know that when I logged on to the Heritage site I had my choice of Heritage Archives, Heritage price guide, Coming soon preview etc,etc.
    One click and I was right where I wanted to be.
    I only had to type in the coin I wanted to research and --- bingo! there they were all of them by date sold and price.
    Now what do we have? click here, sort there, enter keyword here, refine results there, choose ms/unspecified (whatever the hell that means) remove selection arrrghhh!!!
    Would it have been possible to warn us in advance of this major change?
    Maybe send out some instructions on how to navigate this maze?
    Maybe break it to us gently after the FUN show and let both systems operate for a while until we got used to the new one?
    Right in the middle of doing my research in preparation for FUN the system just changed ---zap!--- just like that.
    So I gave it up for the night and went to bed.
    When I woke up this morning I thought for a few moments that it was just a bad nightmare and when I went to my computer things would be like they were.
    Now I am unable to finish the research that really was vital to my bidding strategies.
    I have not only observed but participated in the growth of your company from the beginning and have seen it grow into to the mega corporation that it is today.
    I can only hope that the lack of consideration displayed in the presentation of this new system is not indicative of your company's future attitude toward customer relations. Dave W

dalias13@hotmail.com
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>2. I've never seen so much whining about a service that is FREE! >>

The service certainly isn't free to their consignors, and they are the ones that will be hurt by this mess.

Russ, NCNE >>

Rest assured it isn't free..both sellers and buyers give hefty fees to Heritage ..Off each coin , Heritage is getting 20-25 % of the hammer price .
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The point.

Russ, NCNE >>

DAMN ,RUSS.......YOU RIGHT ON THE POINT !!!!!!!!!!
  • Oh dear. Heritage, we have a problem. A big problem.

After seeing this thread last night, I immediately went to take a look for myself. Overall, I must admit that I didn't find it too terrible, but it was certainly not an improvement. If anything, it was a step or two backward. Personally, I was quite content with the system already in place.

I can't be certain (it was late & I wasn't focused), but it seemed to me that certain coins were not showing up some of the time, depending on how I structured my search!

It is human nature to resist change when we already feel comfortable with things the way they are, so maybe this will all die down in a week or two. Nonetheless, I am surprised that a company that is run so professionally could handle this situation so clumsily &, as others have noted, the timing of this "upgrade" leaves much to be desired.

Not only do you have a problem with your new system - you seem to be facing an even bigger customer relations SNAFU (judging from the majority of reactions here). I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that many of your biggest customers frequent these boards, so you would be wise to take note!

But, hey, I still love ya & I'm sure I will continue to spend way too much money with you.

• swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Folks, as some of you know personally, we've been collecting feedback on the new website. We've already fixed several bugs and are well on the way to introducing new features to make the site more intuitive while keeping the powerful search capabilities intact.

If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, please send them to me at stewarth@ha.com.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    the more I use it the more I don't like it
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The point.

Russ, NCNE >>

imageimage
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • OK, let's give Heritage some credit here. I always hate when things that I like are suddenly changed without warning, and I tend to react by hating the changes. But Heritage is being VERY responsive about fixing bugs, listening to criticism, and fine-tuning this remarkable free resource that they provide us with. Heritage has always been at the forefront of internet usage in numismatics. So while I agree with some of the criticisms here, I also want to give Heritage a "thumbs up" on the bigger picture !!

Best,
    Sunnywood

(No, nobody from Heritage asked me to post this !! I just thought the criticism was getting too negative !!)
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are looking for a feature to add, try making your new site look like the old one. That is one feature I could go for.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    The new setup is fine for search but it sux for browsing. Once into any type, just try and jump to another. Near unpossible without starting again at the beginning.
  • stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Something must be wrong with me because I can find everything easier and quicker than before - auctions and archives. I don't use the site very often, but when I do I'm usually looking for a specific coin and maybe that's the difference. Whatever it is it's an improvement for me.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭
    100! And yes, change it back.

Noting something else, I (and I'm sure plenty others) have gotten used to having 50 items/page. The default setting is 10, and it appears that setting this manually to 50 has to be done for each time you search. I also do not like the amount of space each listing now takes up. It's not as easy to quickly compare items in the listing or scroll through them, and quite frankly looks like style was chosen over substance. The grade categories also seem to often be too specific. We could especially use something like an "all mint state grade" filter. Before that was easy. After checking the type, and typing the date/MM, variety if necessary, all was needed was to also type "MS" and just get all uncirculated coins. The "targeted search" even seems to discourage it (though I'm sure I can just do the same thing here if I wanted to.)
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file