Home Metal Detecting

First Time Finds/Thoughts on Detectors

Well, my buddy and I borrowed his fathers Tesoro metal detector. Old school detector with only one sound and no volume control (which made for an annoying day!). We went to an old school here in NC and started looking around the old ball fields and gym areas. After two hours of searching we found about 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bottle caps and pull tabs....or at least it felt that way! We also found a brass tab off of god knows what, a brass pipe fitting, an old pair of broken glasses, 3 pennies, 2 dimes, and one nickel. All the coins were either 90's or 80's except for one 1976 penny. Nothing of any value but we had fun. I am HOPING that the old lady gets me a new metal detector for Christmas but I'll have to wait and see if she does. I'll post pics of our finds later on tonight or tomorrow. I am currently looking at a Whites M6 or XLT. I can't decide which I want. The XLT has more bells and whistles but I think for a beginner the M6 might be the best choice. Any thoughts or opinions??? Thanks!
Todd

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always wanted an XLT but have ended up being mostly a Garrett man.

If you have really dug a hundred quidzillion bottlecaps and pulltabs, then the future is rosy for you. Think of the law of averages. You've got your quota now, so it's all good from here on. image

North Carolina, huh?

Check this out.

Here are a few highlights from my earlier detecting days, when I lived in the Tarheel State.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I live in a Civil War town (Salisbury, NC). We had a huge post here during the Civial War that doubled as a prison so artifacts are all around us. The place that my friend and I dug on, the other day, was one of hte oldest schools around. There are several places that I would LOVE to dig but they are all protected by our Historical Society and they have certain people come in and do their metal detecting for them. I'm trying to get in good with some of these folks so I can get in on all the fun!
    Todd
  • BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    I can't say much about the XLT, as I have only had a White's IDX and Minelab Explorer, but I have heard pretty good stuff about them. As far as bottle-caps and such go, its part of detecting - I have dug hundreds if not thousands. Plus, a good layer of bottle caps and pull rings can reward a patient hunter, as lazier hunters may have missed some good finds that the trash masked!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trash cleaning is part of MD'ing...and can be quite rewarding after it is gone.... since it tends to cover the valuable targets. Cheers, RickO
  • ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Ok here are the pics of the Great 2007 Todd Hoard.... Insert laugh here...... Not much but like I said, I had a blast.
    Todd