Home Metal Detecting

I need advice for an indoor winter hunt

Since my GTI 2500 just showed up, and we have 4 inches of snow over our frozen ground, I may have come up with a way to use the GTI, but I thought I'd run it past you guys first.

My parents' modular home sits on the cellar/foundation of an old farmhouse that burned down in the 1950's or 60's. The farmhouse probably dated back to the 1840's, and nothing except my parents house has sat on the site (the home was put on the foundation in about 1972.)

The cellar has a dirt floor, and has nothing in it but an oil tank and a water pump/tank.

I assume there will probably be all sorts of nails/trash, but wouldn't you think there should be relics/coins/treasures in there as well? Any words of wisdom? I though about using surface discrimination, but have decided against it, as there could certainly be items near or on the floor's surface.

Anyone else detected a spot like this?
Need to finish my Kennedys and Jeffersons!

Comments

• you may be better off by setting up a sifter and go about searching the dirt floor that way...just my two ihc's.....good luck and let us know what you find....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Hey, Good Luck !!

You might find Jimmy Hoffa or at least his gold watch image
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good place to give it a try, probably find alot of plumbing (copper and lead) debris also. I thought of hunting in the old train depot I live in- it has a crawl space under half the building about 3-4 feet high, only problem is the two entrance ways into it are a tight fit now that all the new plumbing from a remodel in 1999 also run through the openings - and I am not as nimble (ad about 70lbs) as I was about 20 years ago. I can remember finding old bottles and tobacco tins laying on the grounds surface back then when I helped my brother do the renovations. I didn't have a detector then- was my in between years of detecting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea... there could be some interesting finds there. I would hunt it as I would any area... sector it and search it methodically. The first pass will be mostly junk.. then get down to serious searching. Let us know... Cheers, RickO
  • PghpetePghpete Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    What a great way to stay out of the weather! Like the others say, take your time and do it right. After you search the area left to right, do it again perpendicular (North to South).
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's worth a try, I guess.

I would recommend using your small "sniper" coil.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    You have 3-4 months to do it. Check every signal. Remove all the trash.
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    go to the nearest sledding hill and detect there, lots of stuff is lost and all you have to do is dig through the snow

only dig STRONG targets

I went to the sledding hill by me last spring- over $10 in change in 2 hours and multiple jacket pulls and house keys

go to a coin store and detect thereimage
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Dock has good advice.

<< <i>You have 3-4 months to do it. Check every signal. Remove all the trash. >>

Try turning off the lights in the basement and turn on lights on the first floor. Look up to see if there are any holes in the floor. Detect under any you can see.