Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Have you ever felt stupid being a card collector?

I know this may sound strange.

Today, I was in a crowd of people. They were talking sports. someone said " you sound like on of those lame *** guys who collect cards"!

They all started laughing. It was almost like everyone thought that card collecting was for total loosers.

I never really get to worked up over that kind of stuff. But after thinking about it, I guess I can see the point of view. Certain stereo types go with things by nature.

Take Star Trek Fans. Not just casual fans. Im one of those. But when I see people dressed up and speaking Klingon. I sure hope that is spelled right! I think of 40 year olds living in their parents basement. Probably never been out on a date. NO OFFENSE if you are a TREKKIE!!!! Knock yourself out!!!!!

Are we over the line? Cards are for kid's. At least they were.

I hope not.

Man I miss the 80's!!!

Comments

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife is a big time Trekkie (who at one time owned ALL the series on DVD). Can you believe you can actually do Google in Klingon? No joke!

Ka-plah!
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I enjoy the hobby, I've made some decent money off of cards, collect what I want for myself and constantly churn stuff over the years to keep it interesting. Being involved in cards has afforded me the opportunity to really get into baseball stats and become a die hard fan. If I hadn't gotten into cards I wouldnt have gone to autograph shows and met Yaz, Bob Feller, Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr etc.

Heck I even ran a few local shows and hired HOF Robin Roberts to come sign at one of them, I was still in High School at the time.

You can't let some bozo's off the cuff remark impact what you do with your life, or how you choose to spend your time. Life is way to short to worry about other peoples small minded opinions.

Im a sci-fi geek, a Star Wars fanatic, Trek, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica et. al. I still have all my original figures (and the accessories, cause I took Mom's advice and put them in ziplocks so as to not lose them!) but its not the only part of me.

I play softball, volleyball and at one time I was a professional Duckpin bowler,heck I even got to bowl on TV once. But I also hang with friends who have completely different interests.

collect what interests and keeps you sane. Screw what other people think. image
  • Options
    I make sure to hear the comments so in return they can hear mine.
    Just say they've paid for your home, car(s), and vacation properties, you pay for everything in cash, and you've been semi-retired for 15 years.
    That always seems to capture the most attention and give the best response.
    Silence...
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    The funny thing is, I think those comments come from peoples' fears. I think they desire to own a piece of their childhood but are scared to embrace it because they care too much about image or what they perceive of image.

Besides collecting cards, I metal detect. It's funny how many smartalec comments I hear coming through my headphones when I'm swinging a coil. Those same people always stop to watch me dig though. Heck, half of the time they'll walk over my holes to check them out.

It is surprising to me the number of people who don't have hobbies. I find mine very fulfilling. I'm a fairly ordered person, I think collectors and hobbyists in general are fairly systematic people. Maybe that's where the difference lies.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those guys sound rather ignorant to me, as most ignorant people react to what they don't understand by ridiculing it. Rather pathetic if you ask me.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Did you start crying, scream at them, tell them to go to hell ---- and then follow all that with a discussion about how mature and distinguished our hobby is??

works for me every time!!

But seriously, did you put poop in their coffee or peanut butter under their driver's side door handle?
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can't let some bozo's off the cuff remark impact what you do with your life, or how you choose to spend your time. Life is way to short to worry about other peoples small minded opinions.

Im a sci-fi geek, a Star Wars fanatic, Trek, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica et. al. I still have all my original figures (and the accessories, cause I took Mom's advice and put them in ziplocks so as to not lose them!) but its not the only part of me.

collect what interests and keeps you sane. Screw what other people think. image >>

^ What he said image
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peanut butter under their driver's side door handle?

GREAT IDEA, NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT ONE
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im a big fan of Star Trek, but only the original series. Never dressed up, never went to a Star Trek convention, or spoke Klingon, but in a crowded room of people I would have no problem admitting to any of them that I have seen every episode multiple times. I like the Twilight Zone too, but that's really the extent of my Sci-Fi interests.
  • Options
    Considering that about 50% of the guys I work with are rabid hunters, I'd kind of like them to make fun of me for collecting cards. Really though, everyone should have a hobby that they can be passionate about. It takes the mundane out of living, and gives you something to de besides the 9-5 routine.

Besides cards, I play music, build model cars, and collect DVDs. I have plenty of things to keep my free time fun.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you had a great great opportunity for some classic yo momma jokes.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    stupid never...foolish maybe a little.....(Is there a difference? not sure) Like yesterday when my wife came home from out of town for two days and I told her that I had just spent almost a grand on 48 Bowmans! Of course when those babies are in my hands, I won't have any second thoughts!

• Options
    Cards, yea we know all about 'em. People better stop picking on our lack of fashion sense and marginal oral hygiene and start to appreciate our other knowledge base ie; entomology, because one day...

Sure, Thrill fan. You, me tekno... We're all dorks out there, but here on the PSA boards we can be the Bruce Willis of hobbyists!
  • Options
    I just have so many more things to be ebmarrased about. People usually never get to cards.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    They wouldn't think it was lame if they found four Mint 1952 topps Mantles in an old shoebox..............
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You guys all still collect baseball cards? Losers.
  • Options
    Being smooth with the ladies and collecting cards can happen.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a card collector and a star trek fan. Also I just bought an 'Outer Limits' DVD of the original series and in one episode William Shatner plays an astronaut who just came back from an orbit of Venus and is now working on something called the 'Vulcan' project. And this was before his star trek days. Eeery. image
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    I heard George Carlin mention that men who collect sports cards are men who have pictures of other men.......after my old lady heard that, she hasn't let me forget that that is what I am collecting. I fire back at her, well, those pictures of other men are helping to pay the bills and helped us put a down payment on the house.
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say allot of us collect for different reasons. The reasons that I started collecting is for my kids, a hobby for myself and Im really bad about saving money, so it's an investment for my kids college. I let allot of people know that I collect cards just in case they might have some, or they know someone that collects cards as well. Allot of people think I'm silly or stupid for collecting until I tell them that I already have over $50,000 saved up in sets so when my kids go to college they will be taking care of. The way they look at me is pretty funny, they never knew they are worth that much, and I would not be supprise if all of them are collectors now. Wait that might really bight because now i have competition around here dang it.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    I do not feel stupid for card collecting but realize it is not a mainstream hobby among adults at this point in time. As bad as the late 80s and early 90s were from a value perspective, baseball cards were everywhere, and it seemed like everyone was collecting them to a certain extent, children and adults. Card shows every weekend, hobby shops (used to be 3 within 5 miles of my home, now I have to drive 30 miles), cards in every conveinience store, retail outlet, and news agency.

Some of my other geeky hobbies include...

1.) Keeping Reptiles and Amphibians
    2.) Building Computers (just ordered the parts for a brand new build)
    3.) Home Theater
    4.) Comic Books (have a few series I read monthly, though I do not bag the books for collectability, as that not what comics should be about in my opinion)

And to top it off I am just finishing up a masters degree in Electrical Engineering.

My wife tells me all the time that she married a geek, but she loves me nontheless. She does complain that my hobbies are expensive, but she never calls them stupid (well she will call the reptiles stupid if she has to feed them when I am away on business).

I have been living to the beat of my own drum for too long to let what other's think affect me in any way.

J
  • Options
    I got into it just 10 years ago, when padres were the NL champs. Baseball was never so exciting, and i started collecting padres only....the greats like MO Vaughn, Caminiti, Finley (hahaha...). I quickly diversified into rookies, and then i started into vintage. It's been a roller coaster ride ever since.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Not really. The crowd I roll with is either hyper nerdy computer dudes at work or hyper atheletic on my free time.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    The only time I feel stupid about being a card collector, is when I get all worked up about a card and set up a snipe bid, overpay, win, then realize I already have the card.

HELP ME MOMMA , I'M STUPID---------------------------the end.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    If you've ever seen the movie Trekkies or Trekkies II....now those are guys you should worry about! That's taking collecting, escapism just a bit too far.

As long as you have a life, can talk to women, don't live in your parents basements....I dont think you have much to worry about. Sportscards are crazy, but alot of things are crazy.

Some people are crazy into Elvis
    Some people are crazy into NASCAR
    Some people are crazy into jewelry, you've only got 2 ears, 1 neck and 10 fingers, how many earings or necklaces do you need.
    Fishing lures and a million other things.

I also collecting 80's GI Joe, Transformers and a few other toys. Cards though were a big part of kids lives in the 80s, early 90's. Way too hard to give up.

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I confess that in certain situations I have found myself trying to legitamize the hobby by telling people about the money that can be made, the way the hobby has changed since third-party grading came to the forefront, and the ability to register your set . . . people who don't know about cards seem to think it's impressive when you say you've got a top 10 set "in the world" of whatever you collect . . . and there's no need to tell them that it's a top 10 set that's 4% complete, right?

I think of that George Carlin comment too, and I think that one cut to the quick for me. The fact is, I don't sell many cards so the money isn't really something I should tout as a reason for collecting. Third party grading is great and the registry is fun, but the real reason I collect cards is because I enjoy it . . . I like having pictures of men on little pieces of cardboard! image
  • Options
    I have never apologized for being a collector or a fan. However, I have never collected from the standpoint of the "resell". I have always bought cards/memorabilia of players that I like. Granted, I so try to watch the price so that I do not lose money on something that I'm buying. The most recent discussion I had with someone who was trying to make fun of me ended with me pointing out how much profit I could make off a card and the number of months I owned it. When I asked if his IRA is getting that type of return the conversation was over.
  • Options
    Stupid? No. A little sheepish? Sure.

Like when you're standing in a Wal*Mart/Target in the card section amongst 5 kids rifling through Pokemans boxes. Or when checking out, the checker asks you "Do you collect these?" Ugh. It's even worse when I'm buying Hot Wheels Classics.
    My collections Puckett, Biggio & Graded
    Keep your collection organized on iTaggit
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The reasons that I started collecting is for my kids, a hobby for myself and Im really bad about saving money, so it's an investment for my kids college. >>

You should feel stupid for that. I would like to hear what sets you will cash in to get that quick $50K. I hope your children have a good time at Devry or University of Phoenix.
  • Options
    Get a life, losers.
  • Options
    Nope, never felt stupid because I collect. For me it is just another way to enjoy my love of the game. No different than buying your favorite player's jersey or sporting your teams logo on you mailbox. I think most people can relate to those sort of behaviors, so positioning this hobby as an extension along those lines seems to make it understandable. I have also found most people find the historical aspect of vintage cards to be pretty cool... most people have a sense of nostalgia about celebrities or athletes they admired as a youth.

I typically do not talk about the monetary aspects of the hobby in an attempt to justify my involvement. Skeptics just are not going to understand spending hundreds, or even thousands, on a single card no matter who it is, how old it is, or how rare it is.

Snorto~
  • Options
    I've dealt with this before. The group of friends I used to run with would always say this. Then I held a pack wars session at the house during a big game. Yea, when people start winning cards with auto's and g/u pieces their minds change to "this is geeky and childish" to "how much is this worth man". Needless to say, I know that my family and others think I'm a dork for collecting cards, but I always tell them I could be doing something worse like telling tragic stories of how they treat me like a redheaded stepchild on a message board just to envoke sympathy amongst others. But I stick with just collecting cards.
    I've never felt the need to use the money angle to justify what I do. Who gives a crap about what others think. If you're a Trekkie, then be a trekkie. If you love reading and collecting comics then do it. As long as it's something you enjoy doing then go for it.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only time I feel stupid about being a card collector, is when I get all worked up about a card and set up a snipe bid, overpay, win, then realize I already have the card.

HELP ME MOMMA , I'M STUPID---------------------------the end. >>

Been there, done that!!!!! imageimage

Multiple times image

Steve
  • Options
    "I already have over $50,000 saved up in sets "

my friend, i hope they the are nice, mint, vintage sets or stuff thats so rare it wont go down in value.

Ive liquidated a basement full of stuff that was "worth" 20,000 at one point for a few hundred bucks.

50,000 in a nice high yield CD or nice money market account is a heck of a lot safer.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    More proof that I am associated with losers.

J/K

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Well yeah Steve...well...well...your mom! Okay, I'm going back to the corner. I can't handle all this emotional distress. I QUIT THIS HOBBY! image
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I suppose sometimes it can feel a little childish, but there are people who spend tons of money on cigarettes, drinking at the bar all night or gambling. I don't have a problem with people who do these things if they find enjoyment in them. However, at least with card collecting, I get something that I enjoy doing and have something to show for it besides black lungs, a beer gut or mounting debt (unless you are good at gambling, which few are). Life can be stressful enough, cards for me are an escape to a simpler time.
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

I've got acquaintances (I can't call them all friends) who:

1. Getting drunk every night
    2. Smoking weed everyday
    3. Going to the unemployment office because they've been screwed by someone
    4. Hit or yell at their wives or girlfriends
    5. Are just bitter, bitter people

Maybe if they had a hobby that is fun, sometimes profitable, usually holds its value, and reminds them of a fond childhood memory they wouldn't be in the mess they are in. I'm not saying that card collecting will save anyone, but I know if I need to blow off some steam or release some stress nothing does it better than thumbing through a set of 1969 Topps Football Cards or surfing ebay! It sure beats hitting the bottle or the wife.

Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    Are you saying wife-beating is not a fun hobby? I beg to differ.
  • Options
    And to top it off I am just finishing up a masters degree in Electrical Engineering.

Doing this same thing. Not electrical engineering, however.

Good luck.

Yes, if I wasn't so cool already, I might feel like a nerd for collecting cards.

There's many more lamer pursuits in my humble opinion.

How about those tools who follow celebrities snapping photos?

Dorks.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    Lee your wife is still young and fresh, after they get soft and broken they are not nearly as much fun to beat. Just watch a Lifetime movie and you will see.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    've got acquaintances (I can't call them all friends) who:

2. Smoking weed everyday

We have them here too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    That could also be called 5 traits in West Virginia residents. Just ask rube, he will back me on that one.
  • Options
    What's the joke?

When you're a kid they're your heroes

When your're an adult they're pictures of men

I guess that has already been mentioned here
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>stupid never...foolish maybe a little.....(Is there a difference? not sure) Like yesterday when my wife came home from out of town for two days and I told her that I had just spent almost a grand on 48 Bowmans! Of course when those babies are in my hands, I won't have any second thoughts! >>

you tell your wife what you spent? why
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>stupid never...foolish maybe a little.....(Is there a difference? not sure) Like yesterday when my wife came home from out of town for two days and I told her that I had just spent almost a grand on 48 Bowmans! Of course when those babies are in my hands, I won't have any second thoughts! >>

you tell your wife what you spent? why >>

I would rather be honest and disclose up front then to be deceitful and have her find out later. Besides she does the banking, so there was no way to keep from her She was actuallly cool with it.image
  • Options
    Actually, I like to carry around a 1994 Beckett with me and look at the values of my 1993 Refractors and Frank Thomas cards. I then tell people I'm rich. When they laugh at me, I whip out the Beckett, turn to the highlighted 1993 Refractor set and say -- look, it is WORTH $35,000!!!

Who's laughin' now?

that's right.
  • Options

<< <i>'ve got acquaintances (I can't call them all friends) who:

2. Smoking weed everyday

We have them here too.

Steve >>

Steve,