Home Sports Talk
Options

Bench or Rose?

Once and for all- Who is the greatest Cinncinnati Red ever to wear the uniform?

Comments

• Options

If we have to narrow the options down to these two, then I'll go with Bench. I love Charlie Hustle, but Bench played his entire career with the Reds and never brought a second's worth of controversy to the organization.

The stats don't say so, but I would go with Dave Concepcion.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to go with Bench also.
  • Options
    stay classy, pick bench.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Chris Sabo.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    No contest...Bench!
  • Options
    raykasaraykasa Posts: 186 ✭✭
    maybe this will be easier than i thought. hands down Bench for various reasons:

1. Always a Red

2. two time MVP

3. best of his generation at position

4 strong arguement best all time at his position.

5. the stay classy point does help.
  • Options
    No question: Bench.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    # 5.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Bench
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

"Hey John, I'd get up to shake your hand, but I bet a guy I could sit here for 14 hours straight signing increasingly worthless autographs of myself....You want one? $5, cheap!"
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Barry Larkin?

On a side note, I have a buddy that sat across from Bench on a flight one time. Bench was reading a newspaper and had the classifieds and such off to the side. My buddy politely asked him if he could look at the classifieds. Bench told him no. My buddy says he was a first class you know what about it too.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't Morgan and Robinson at least be in the conversation? The question raises the issue of career value v peak value. Bench at his best was better, Rose had a much longer career. According to Win Shares, here are there all time rankings among non-pitchers:

Morgan #12
    F. Robinson #16
    Rose 32
    Bench 42

Also, Big Klu had a terrific run in the 50s, but faded quickly.
  • Options
    Too much of the value of Morgan and Robinson (especially) comes from what they did for other teams

To me, this is not a though question. Rose played the majority of his games as a corner outfielder. There are five leftfielders better than Rose. Only catcher with a truly may have been better than Bench is Josh Gibson. I'll take the best or second best player at his position over the sixth best almost any time
    Tom
  • Options
    Bench is a arrogant sob in person. Rose is a pretty cool guy. As far as playing with heart, Rose hands down. Rose was more consistent and Bench hit with power. Bench, arguably one of the greatest defensive catchers in the game. Rose could play any position but pitcher and catcher. Talent wise, both were among the elite, but I would lean towards Rose. Bench's throwing arm was unbelievably amazing. My vote would go to Rose on the field as well as the person. I've met Johnny Bench one time and he was a jerk.

I love Rose quote "i would walk through hell wearing a gasoline suit, just to play baseball." (something to that effect) that is heart.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pete Rose
  • Options
    I agree, Rose by a long shot!
    Jay
  • Options
    The question is, Who is the greatest Cincinnati Red to ever wear a uniform. That is far different than, who is viewed as Mr. Cincinnati.

If it is viewed as stated, then Frank Robinson and Joe Morgan head the list. Joe Morgan was the key player on the Big Red Machine.

If it is viewd as Mr. Cincinnati as many have morphed it into, then if this were asked in 1986 it would be Pete Rose without a blink of the eye. Due to the obvious character flaw, Bench may then step in.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Gotta go with Rose.........just gotta
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Ed Taubensee.

He was once traded for young stud named Kenny Lofton.

True story.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Most definitely...Johnny Bench!
  • Options
    maxdomemaxdome Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Pete Rose
  • Options
    Pete Rose

He won two WS with the Reds - left and won one with the friggin Philles (and they suck)

Then came back and build the team that won the WS in 1990 - Rose was a better Red than Bench
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Flat out Pete Rose.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I would say Rose as well. I don't think it is a fair question given Pete's troubles the last decade or so.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
  • Options
    According to the original Win Shares book (though the 2001 season), Bench and Rose each had one of the top twelve all time seasons by a Red. Morgan had five, including the best ever. Overall, Rose is #1 by a wide margain; , Bench is #2. The figures include only time as Reds.

3. Larkin
    4. McPhee
    5. Robinson
    6. Perez
    7. Concepcion
    8. Morgan
    9. Roush
    10. Pinson