Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Jefferson MEL Dollar - Sightings?

OK.
I'm a bit discouraged as a Presidential Dollar Registry guy...can't even get a shot at those over 300 graded PCGS Missing Edge Lettering Jefferson Dollars.

The rumors I have heard are that they are going to be sold at a Home Shopping Network type deal..

If anyone know more, please add information here for all to find.

Yes, there was one overpriced discovery coin that has been up on eBay a couple of times now.

That's nice BUT, where are the other 300+ coins at?

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The partials appear "rarer" than the completes - no? I see the same thing with Wash Dollars - the weak lettered pieces are worth 5x as much as the complete rimless right now. Jim - thoughts?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I've all but given up on these! Sheesh!

46 coins in the Complete Variety Set and its only the first Year!

If this keeps up, over 10 years it'll be a 460 coin set of whcih some will be very high dollar widgets!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Mitch,

The Partials ARE rarer at this point than the MEL Jeffersons.

The Weak Edge Lettering Washington, seems to be pretty elusive considering so many MEL versions were submitted for grading.
    Maybe we all better inspect our MEL coins in hand, could be a bonus at this point. Especially since the Washingtons are in only ms64 at this point.
    With the one I found, its a POP 3 coin..Still don't know If mine will be better than the other 2 - MS64's?

As for the 46+ Presidential Dollar set for 2007. There is still a possibility that the edge lettering will move off of the edge, then these so called crazy edge lettering variety coins will skyrocket.

What I find strange is that we have not seen any weak or partial edge lettering ADAMS Dollars
    AND
    Likewise where are the Overlapped and Inverted Doubled Lettering in the Washingtons & Jefferson Dollars?

I highly doubt we will have 460+ coin sets. The Edge Lettering will either get better OR eliminated.

Just think, IF the edge lettering moves off the edge, then there WILL NOT BE anymore POSTION A OR B COINS EITHER !!!

Just food for thought....

Some of this does not make too much sense, but there are some RARE varieties out there.
  • Options
    any pics of the weak lettering?
  • Options
    Current Pop on the Jefferson MEL dollars is 501 Total

18/64

177/65

210/66

95/67

1/68

Who has these things?

Should be cheaper than Washington MEL Dollars!
  • Options
    It only took nearly a month for them to hit the pop report. Remember my comment last month (in notwilight's thread) concerning 500-1000 coins out there. Coin World, after they reported -1- coin in existence noted in a subsequent weekly paper that the message boards had rumors of many many more rimless in existence and CW commented something to the effect - these message board comments are like margaritas - you need to take them with a "grain of salt". Perhaps CW ought to read our boards more closely - don't you think Jim?

Wondercoin

That second submission was an even 200 coins (first submission was an even 300) - what's next?
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch,

Great Point.

I thought about it last nght.
    How does one find and EVEN 200 more, very interesting.

I do live in a betting state! My money is that there are MORE to come.

Hey Coin World, Pay attention!
  • Options
    A MS67 example is now on eBay.
    They are coing out of their hiding places...

They want $ 12,500.00 for a pop 95/1 coin?
    MS67 Jefferson Missing Edge Dollar
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Unbelievably overpriced.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>any pics of the weak lettering? >>

• Options
    I posted this pic of a Washington Weak edge lettering coin.

Actually I will be selling this one, If anyone is interested.
    Only POP 4 total - And it is in the Complete Variety Presidential Set as a needed coin.

Best Offer get it... It only graded AU58, but cheaper than the MS65 on eBay that the guy has listed for $24,800.00 !!
    $ 24,800 for MS65 Washington Dollar - Weak Edge Lettering on eBay !!

So PM with an Offer If anyone wants it....

Here is the Edge pic from PCGS on the coin I am selling... <------------------------------------------UPDATE !! SOLD !! 12/11/07

Washington Weak Edge Lettering Coin For Sale.
  • Options
    Glad to see the MEL Jeffs finally appearing on the market.

Jim - If and when prices on those MS67 coins reach $1,000/coin, will you let me know - I might pick one up for Justin.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Will do...Please do the same for me.

I heard from another source that 300 more are soon to be added to the pop report!

So, $ 1000 for a MS67 is more than fair.
  • Options
    jim,
    ryan small here. i would like to purchase the weak edged washington. au58? how about giving me a good price.
    thanks,
    ryan
  • Options
    howdo you knonw when someone answers you?
  • Options
    The little padlock in the upper left of your screen will say you have # of new messages or No new messages.
  • Options
    i see the guy with the smooth edge jefferson dropped his price to 12,000!!! that is ridiculous. i think all of us major collectors should not purchase any MEL Jefs until the price comes down to at least 1000. in other words, none of us should give in to this ludicrous amount. apparently, i believe the person selling that coin has most of the MELs, and is trying to make bank off them. it is my opinion to boycott these offerings until the price comes down...does any one agree?
  • Options
    The price is way out of line.
    Only a crazy Registry person would even need to have it that bad.

Yes, I would REALLY like to have on in my set....BUT NOT THAT BAD!!

Now, If that MS68 was for sale at 12K BIN..... I would buy it NOW !
  • Options
    UPDATE !!!!

As of 2/15/08 - PCGS POP Report is showing - NOW 881 total Pop on the Jefferson MEL Dollar.

Thats 301 more than last week was showing.....Slow little rascals coming out of there hiding places.
    pops are now
    20/64
    364/65
    393/66 <-----Notice these on eBay for $ 3900 + ...Wonder why no bites??
    103/67 <-----Last seen offered for $ 8000 ...And no takers....
    1/68

Drop the price guys and we will buy.
  • Options
    Pops now at 882!

I wonder where these will eventually level off at?

Ref Thread

You think I am out of line with my post? If so, why? Especially compared to other coins of this nature.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee,

I just noticed that yesterday.

Now the POP is higher.
    It was 501, 801, now 881

AND they are not flooding the market place either....
  • Options
    Congrads go to GRIV.

He is the First to post a Jefferson MEL in the Presidential Dollar registry sets.
    ...And his pocket book is a little lighter, no doubt!
  • Options
    "Congratulations" ???????????

Wondercoin
  • Options
    this person violated our pact to not buy the jefferson mel coins until they dropped to 2000 and below. i think (and jim please help me get the word to all our little pres. collectors' club, that the rankings should be returned to the previous state). i feel we have a few things we can do. if we stick together we can make things happen. i hope all of you agree with me and feel free to change or suggest alternative rules.
    1. we should petition all of to BJ to switch the MEL Jefferson to the complete variety set.
    2. we should contact all of our great dealers and request that no coins of high rank be offered to the person who violated the pact.
    3. we should ensure that none of us purchase the MEL until the top ranking one gets to 2000 or less.
    4. we should ensure that if the new #1 person wins that category when justin and jim deserve to, that he/she never wins another pres. dollar collection.
    i will email this as well. someone let mitch and justin know. please let me know what everyone thinks of this.
  • Options
    Slide: Thank you for your well intended (and I say this sincerely as I know you are working on a "top 5" set and do not personally gain by this) remarks, especially as they concern Jim (Silverstate) and my son, Justin. Justin was not in any "pact" to not buy the MEL Jefferson, but, I can assure you he had absolutely no intention of doing so (nor me for him) at the price levels being asked for the coins. Justin was well aware that if someone with "deep pockets" came along before the registry deadline and purchased one of the MEL Jeffs at current asking prices, he would be falling out of first place. Was this disappointing to Justin? Absolutely and immensely disappointing at that. But, as he winds his way through High School it would be utterly reckless of me, as his father, to take $8,000 (or more) of his college funds to purchase a pop 100+ variety coin (with even a higher graded example out there) minted a few months ago. That is the lesson I hope Justin will learn through this - because this will surely not be the last time in his life he will need to excercise great restraint to not overspend beyond his means for emotional reasons. The "trophy" will just have to wait for Justin.

On another note - I have found GRIV to be a very passionate collector in his pursuit of the other series of coins he collects. I do not fault GRIV for being competitive - and here, I assume GRIV has the funds available to "treat himself" to a coin like this. A real lesson in life here for Justin and an "eye opener" and, in the long run, I say that in a very positive way.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I must have missed the club meeting. image Sorry to post a #1 (if only temp) non-bullion set. image
  • Options
    Griv,
    No offense taken. I was serious on the congrads. I just have held the brakes on purchasing one of the Jefferson MEL Dollars for now, at these levels.
    Not to be cliche' but the ..(Gambler song starts in the background...) You have to know when to run or walk away..... image

I still believe $ 2000 level is where they should be, but may never get there.
    Someone pulled the trigger before Justin & I did. No harm, no foul.
    It's not like we win a major prize for being 1st place! Unless, they changed what the awards are for this year?
    Slide, thanks for the support. We all want to fill the holes in our sets and remember this is only lap # 1 of many more to come in these Presidential Dollars.

Now on the other hand, I love racing too!
    My '66 Shelby GT350 and I run a lot in Willows, CA at Thunderhill Raceway.
    ...Yes, and the racing pursuits are costly but, sorry fellas.
    There is no coin that gives a thrill of flying down a race track at full bore and sliding around curves as fast as you dare go.
    ....Whew! I think I need to take my car out for a little drive!
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Why can someone not buy a coin they want? Just because the price is high? So somebody else can win a ribbon? Pesidential dollars are not my thing but i would not like someone telling me i can not buy a coin until the price is right for everyone else to buy one. I did not realize there were behind the scene rules on top of the regular rules.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

<< <i>Why can someone not buy a coin they want? Just because the price is high? So somebody else can win a ribbon? Pesidential dollars are not my thing but i would not like someone telling me i can not buy a coin until the price is right for everyone else to buy one. I did not realize there were behind the scene rules on top of the regular rules. >>

No one is holding my hand on buying or not buying.

It's like buying a car. You can buy a car at any price, or you can wait and buy it at your price.
    I prefer the later.

And if anyone is interested I have a little piece land for sale...

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why can someone not buy a coin they want? Just because the price is high? So somebody else can win a ribbon? Pesidential dollars are not my thing but i would not like someone telling me i can not buy a coin until the price is right for everyone else to buy one. I did not realize there were behind the scene rules on top of the regular rules. >>

No one is holding my hand on buying or not buying.

It's like buying a car. You can buy a car at any price, or you can wait and buy it at your price.
    I prefer the later.

And if anyone is interested I have a little piece land for sale...

image >>

Does it come with drilling and mineral rights??? image
  • Options
    pennieannie,
    nothing goes on behind the scenes. some of us just believe there is someone hording these coins keeping the prices unduly high. if you are not a pres. collector, why do you even care about a jefferson mel? i think the other posts have already resolved the issue. thanks for your interest in our collections,
    slide
  • Options

There are no "behind the scene" rules that I know of only good sound advice from folks that have been there and done that and now wish they hadn't.

For the MEL Jefferson's, the prices right now are simply ridiculous and that is because someone or maybe a couple more folks out there have them all and are controlling the releases to maximize their profits. The population reports say that there are more than 800 available (which is a lot BTW) yet they rarely show up on the market. When they do, those that really, really want them regardless of price, will pay ridiculous amounts for them thereby inflating the actual value. When all have finally been sold, that first thousand dollar buyer will regret that he didn't wait.

Anybody is certainly welcome to spend thousands on these but they will one day regret it and the forum is simply bringing that to everybodies attention.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

There are no "behind the scene" rules that I know of only good sound advice from folks that have been there and done that and now wish they hadn't.

For the MEL Jefferson's, the prices right now are simply ridiculous and that is because someone or maybe a couple more folks out there have them all and are controlling the releases to maximize their profits. The population reports say that there are more than 800 available (which is a lot BTW) yet they rarely show up on the market. When they do, those that really, really want them regardless of price, will pay ridiculous amounts for them thereby inflating the actual value. When all have finally been sold, that first thousand dollar buyer will regret that he didn't wait.

Anybody is certainly welcome to spend thousands on these but they will one day regret it and the forum is simply bringing that to everybodies attention. >>

• Options
    hey yall,
    i would just like state a couple of things:
    1. does anyone know anymore about the rumor that the MELs were going to be offered on some t.v. shopping network?
    2. i appreciate the feedback from everyone
    3. i think this is a major topic that we need to keep talking about b/c of the general fairness of someone hording these coins to demand such high prices.
    4. i agree with the statements (even if they contradict what i said previously) that anyone can spend thousands to purchase this coin, but i also agree that it will likely be a regretful decisoin later on.
    5. finally, does anyone have any info (rumor or anything) about these coins' releases?
    ryan
  • Options
    btw, if anyone of yall do figure out how to get these, will someone let me know, and if they are selling out on t.v. or something, jim, will you call me and tell me? i am after a ms-63 or 64. jim, if for some reason i miss out, please buy me a 63 or 64 and i'll pay u back plus a commission.
    thx,
    ryan
  • Options
    Ryan,
    The pop show only 10/64, there are no ms63's.
    I would have to look for the tel# of the place that is selling them.
    They wanted $ 3750 for MS66 & $ 7950 for MS67's.

They are marketing them directly to people for retirement nest eggs.
    So, the bad thing is that many are going into safe deposit boxes for a LONG time.

There has been a few running on eBay, but haven't seen any for a month or so.
    I don't have much more info on these coins.
    I'm afraid that the prices will remain high until those that paid high want to sell at a loss.
  • Options
    thanks for your prompt response jim. as always, you treat everyone with the highest respect.
    your friend,
    ryan
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    BTW - I just got confirm back from PCGS that I have a new variety. They are weak edge letter FDI Washingtons. I don't have the grades yet or how many are position A or B. Oh and they are D mint.
  • Options

<< <i>BTW - I just got confirm back from PCGS that I have a new variety. They are weak edge letter FDI Washingtons. I don't have the grades yet or how many are position A or B. >>

Cool...
  • Options

<< <i>BTW - I just got confirm back from PCGS that I have a new variety. They are weak edge letter FDI Washingtons. I don't have the grades yet or how many are position A or B. Oh and they are D mint. >>

And so the saga continues! How many different types of FDI coins will there be?

You guys must have some very deep resources to be submitting $1,000 sealed boxes!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OK,

Where is the Box with Jefferson MEL dollars in it?
    At least If a regular coin guy gets them, then they will be for sale.
  • Options
    Forget the MEL Jefferson, that was yesterday's news. The pop is near the GW MEL level. The new hot hot is the Madison D weak edge. Pop total for A & B is less than 16. image
  • Options
    So are your coins
    non-First Day or First Day Issue coins?

I only see in the non-fdi coins - total coin pop of 3
    No A coins
    2/64 1/65 for B pos coins

The FDI version have a total coin pop of 17 coins.

This is what is showing online.
  • Options
    Sorry, no FDIs as they were in a shipment of several bricks including the end of the year Sacs (which were all crap) so by the time I got to them it was too late. There were not even supposed to be Adams errors much less Jefferson and the Madisons should have NO errors, according to the Mint.

But, here is where I am in a funk. After being one of the many top supporters for the FIRST STRIKE program and as an extension, the FDI program, I am not sure I am onboard with this anymore (FDI that is image). With what will probably end up as a 60 coin series for the FIRST year, now we are driving the FDI to the forefront. This is not coming from your post as I have had several conversations about this recently and you just happened to mention it.

We need to do away with the edge lettering on US coins and stop creating 10 thousand dollar coins out of 7 cents of mixed metal manganese. IMO
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>So are your coins

No A coins

This is what is showing online. >>

Were you addressing me?

They are FDI, D Washingtons, they won't be in the POPs yet, and I suspect that the current non-fdi pop were actually my coins to begin with that I sold before I had an idea what these were.
  • Options
    Greg,

The FDI Complete set has almost 1/2 of the coins the complete NON-First Day Issue set does. (28 Coins)

So, the NON-FDI Complete set will take up twice as much room to store for sure. (54 Coins)

The problem is that most of the errors are being found after boxes have been opened up.
    Many errors are only found in small quantities

So If you do decide to send in a whole "brick"
    Who wants 500+ regular graded business strikes along with the handful of error coins.
    OR worse yet, the box come up with NO errors and you still get the PCGS grading bill.

This set will have a lot of coins in the complete sets.
    My safe deposit box ( The BIG one) will hold at this rate only 5 years worth of presidential dollars..guess I need to make sure I can get another safe deposit box in a few years!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So are your coins

No A coins

This is what is showing online. >>

Were you addressing me?

They are FDI, D Washingtons, they won't be in the POPs yet, and I suspect that the current non-fdi pop were actually my coins to begin with that I sold before I had an idea what these were. >>

Brian,

I was listing the Madison POPS here.
    What are the Washington D Weak Pops?

If they are not out..We will have to wait and see.

Since this thread has mutated in to the

Jefferson MEL
    Washington D Weak
    Madison D Weak

Topics...We will have to be more specific when commenting....
  • Options

<< <i>BTW - I just got confirm back from PCGS that I have a new variety. They are weak edge letter FDI Washingtons. I don't have the grades yet or how many are position A or B. Oh and they are D mint. >>

Are these your coins?

Washington D Weak Edge - Pos A FDI - For Sale

Washington D Weak Edge - Pos B FDI - For Sale

Low Pops.

• Options

<< <i>Greg,

The FDI Complete set has almost 1/2 of the coins the complete NON-First Day Issue set does. (28 Coins)

So, the NON-FDI Complete set will take up twice as much room to store for sure. (54 Coins)

The problem is that most of the errors are being found after boxes have been opened up.
    Many errors are only found in small quantities

So If you do decide to send in a whole "brick"
    Who wants 500+ regular graded business strikes along with the handful of error coins.
    OR worse yet, the box come up with NO errors and you still get the PCGS grading bill.

This set will have a lot of coins in the complete sets.
    My safe deposit box ( The BIG one) will hold at this rate only 5 years worth of presidential dollars..guess I need to make sure I can get another safe deposit box in a few years!

image >>

So, just because those people have big ones they should get a premium on a FDI? ANYTHING more than 10% is a crime here. Come on.