Home Metal Detecting

2 Barber dimes, 43-P war nickle, 1875 1 ore and another ducat medal

I've only gone detecting four times sine early April as I had hernia surgery that didn't quite go well (nerve damage). I managed to get out at my in-laws farm where I had found my 1865 two cent piece and a ducat metal last Thanksgiving. I got to go this Thanksgiving with great success (for me at least). I scored a 1910 & 1913 Barber dime. Both were in terrific shape considering. I also found a miniscule 1875 Danish 1 ore also not in bad shape. Then the really strange find was a smaller version of a Venetian ducat copy that I had found exactly one year before. When I found the larger one last year I posted everywhere and finally someone on one of the university sites clued me into what it was. I'm still not sure of the dates of these but given their depth and the age of surrounding material, I'd estimate mid to late 19th century.

I wish every outing was like this but I guess everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

PS - Forgot to add the shiney 1943-P war nickel. I though it was a 43 over 42 overdate at first but it proved to be a bit of dirt image

Crispy
"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."

Comments

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you had a great hunting trip! Any pictures? image
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must have been a good week for finding Barbers. Demodigger got 2 quarters. Maybe someone will come up with 2 halves?
  • nice hunt Crispy!
    imageimage
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

I will try to post pictures as soon as I get them scanned. I have them cleaned up a bit and in 2x2's. I rather hope that they scan decently through the holders. I smeared vaseline onto the 1875 ore because it was so dark (brown) that you could barely make out the details through the plastic on the 2x2. As for Barber halves, I've never found any and only once have found a Barber quarter which was a 1909.

Crispy
  • would love to see that ore. i like digging foreign coins over US anytime. a ducat is gold is'nt it? so what is the copy made of?

there was a time when the only barbers i would find were dimes. when i got out of the Marines in '96, my luck changed. have dug many barber quarters and halves since. i had a friend once who thought that some people were just "tuned" in to finding certain coins. riccar seems to do very well finding half dimes, i've only dug 2 ever.
  • nice digs crispy....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage

<< <i>would love to see that ore. i like digging foreign coins over US anytime. a ducat is gold is'nt it? so what is the copy made of?

there was a time when the only barbers i would find were dimes. when i got out of the Marines in '96, my luck changed. have dug many barber quarters and halves since. i had a friend once who thought that some people were just "tuned" in to finding certain coins. riccar seems to do very well finding half dimes, i've only dug 2 ever. >>

No these ducats are bronze. It's almost as if they had more of a religious significance and were pocket pieces. As for finding Barbers, half dimes, etc, I'm a firm believer of location, location & location. Sites have to be old enough to accomodate certain coinage and obviously it's helpful if they haven't been searched a million times over the years. I have to get bolder and knock on a few more doors to hunt some of the older private areas.

Crispy

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice finds... congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    WTG Crispyimage
    Can't see the pictures yet. Anyone else getting red xs?
  • Sounds like you had a good day Crispy. I can't see the pics either Phut.

Speer34
    Speer34

imageimageimage

<< <i>WTG Crispyimage
    Can't see the pictures yet. Anyone else getting red xs? >>

Thanks guys. I'm just going to have to list the jpegs and let you click on them as I don't have a dedicated website to store them on for sourcing.

• << <i>

<< <i>WTG Crispyimage Can't see the pictures yet. Anyone else getting red xs? >>

Thanks guys. I'm just going to have to list the jpegs and let you click on them as I don't have a dedicated website to store them on for sourcing. >>

Huh???
    Just add the tags to the URL: [IMG at the start-- It takes two [ ] around the IMG and /IMG
    And at the end: /IMG]

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That faux-Venetian piece is pretty cool! Too bad it ain't a real gold ducat, but I like it anyway. The scalloped edge is interesting, too.

WTG on the Barbers, too! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.