Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Are any of you Roosie FB collectors paying attention?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
1983-P is a very tuff year for FB Roosies as there have been only 3 FB's made.

J.H.F. has the 1983-P MS66FB (1/0) in his set...
I have the 1983-P MS65FB (1/1) in my set and the
1983-P MS64FB (1/2) is on eBay now for sale with no bids as of this moment

Whats the deal?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not a fb person. I'll pay huge money though for an ms67 83-p! (also 82-p).
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with LR. Although the 83P in 66 is the best buy for the money. It cost the same as the 64FB. I'd much rather have the 66.
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    It has 6 days left....shhhhhhhh
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Paul, I got him started.
  • Options
    yep,he's a good guy...
    tall,good looking,great sense of humor,
    and Free Shipping for fellow forum members!!!imageimage
  • Options
    Going on the FB basis alone this coin should command greater than $100, if not the mid $150's. Now taking into the consideration that PCGS has now been designating FB's for >4 years and this is only the 3rd 1983-P w/FB speaks volumes irregardless of it being only a 64FB.

As of right now, its the only 1983-P with FB to obtain, and now I'm high bidder! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul, 6 days to go. If I want something it gets sniped....image

In this case I would rather have a 67.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Shut your pie hole Paul. I be trying to sneek up on this little boy. imageimage

<< <i>In this case I would rather have a 67. >>

I agree "unless the 66FB came up". image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Paul, 6 days to go. If I want something it gets sniped....image

In this case I would rather have a 67. >>

Nick and his sniping! image

<< <i>Shut your pie hole Paul. >>

Pie hole officially shut! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    if you have one of these in a souvenir set and it has fb- would it bring a premium to the table?

Well I actually have 2 sets of the 83P- and both are definitely fb- just a bit uncertain on the grade - I'm not much of a roosie collector-more of a hoarder. So if I can ever get a good shot of em (later today) I can email em to the experts- who is the expert here.

Thanks for allowing me to post my drool.

• Options
    Thanks Paul.

I would agree that having a 67 would be a sharper quality.
    The (fb) is nothing to sneeze about.
    I will be keeping my eye out on this one since Paul already has a better example.
    The Wife would love it as a Christmas present.imageimage

BILL
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 83-P in 64FB is a $35 coin according to the price list .........100-150 would be stupid money!
  • Options
    .........100-150 would be stupid money! >>

Yes, but it is not MOON Money. In that case we have plenty of room to play with.

BILL
  • Options

<< <i>The 83-P in 64FB is a $35 coin according to the price list .........100-150 would be stupid money! >>

This is my assessment of this particular coin at this time.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I wish the pictures were larger, who knows, could be an upgrade in it's future.
    Dan
  • Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Right now the only clads I do are proofs. Looks like a nice FB coin for somebody though. And speaking of clads, did anybody notice the 82NoP pops in 65 and 66? Wow, they certainly jumped up. I had thought that perhaps the no p might remain low pop, guess not. At least not below 67FB. Anybody know where this came from?
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I am the high bidder now.image
  • Options
    I'll try to get better pics soon...
    imageimage
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    And speaking of clads, did anybody notice the 82NoP pops in 65 and 66? Wow, they certainly jumped up.

Well, of course they did, I just bought one and it hasn't come in the mail yet. image
  • Options
    If I were a fb collector, I would think $100-$150 would be a steal for such a coin. I think collecting fb dimes is really cool. It's just my taste to take the best overall coin for my set which usually means the higher grade coin. For dimes, they really need to have 2 registry sets, one with no bonus for fb, and another with weighted bonuses for fb (so a fb 83-p gets a lot more points than a fb 81-p). And then they should not give fb dimes a 2 point bonus in the mint sets (maybe zero or one). While many dime collector's taste is to go for the challanging fb coins, I think most mint set collectors prefer the best overall coins. (I for one will never be listed as #1 in most mint sets because of my choice to take a higher grade non fb dime for my set.).

So who's got an ms67 83-p to sell me?

Oh, here's a question for you dime guys. How come the pop of ms67 82 NO P coins is so much higher than the regular ms67 82-p pop? Is it just because a lack of submissions of 82-p's? Are there really that many more out there? How come I can't find any?! Do you think most ms67 82 No P's are up to todays ms67 standards?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Oh, here's a question for you dime guys. How come the pop of ms67 82 NO P coins is so much higher than the regular ms67 82-p pop? Is it just because a lack of submissions of 82-p's? Are there really that many more out there? How come I can't find any?! Do you think most ms67 82 No P's are up to todays ms67 standards? >>

It's really hard for people today to realize what things were like back in
    1982. There were virtually no real collectors of clasd dimes. Oh sure, there
    were a few people who bought mint sets every year to keep their dimes up
    to date but this was perhaps a hundred people and most would never look
    at the coins again once they went in the album. You almost could have put
    Teddy Roosevelt on the obverse and some wouldn't have noticed it. The only
    clad that got any sort of serious attention were the halfs and dollars and even
    they had a very limited audience. There were just three main sources for BU
    rolls and the largest of these once confessed to me that some years he obtain-
    ed only a single bag of the dimes and quarters!! When he believed he was ov-
    erstocked he'd return coins to the bank.

The handfull of more serious collectors were mostly looking for the halfs and
    dollars but there were still a few diehard cent collectors and the nickels were
    once again getting a look after several years of being dormant.

Most of the coins that survived were set aside by speculators and a great deal
    of the speculation was by the general public in mint sets. These usually fell in
    value after a few years and this trend was becoming obvious by 1982. It didn't
    seem to hurt sales much though. The '81 set was the highest mintage of all and
    was bolstered by the fact it contained three mint set only dollars. It was not ev-
    en widely known that mint set coins tended to be better struck than the circula-
    tion issues! I would invariably get an argument even from mint set buyers who
    would remember that the mint claimed these were just production issue coins.

Speculators did set aside some dimes and quarters. They tended to concentrate
    on the lower mintage dates so they'd end up saving the same thing. Of course,
    with the big sellers setting aside only a single bag one is left to wonder just how
    massive these hordes could have been.

Then we get to 1982. It was anounced very early that mint set production was
    being ended as part of Reagan's cost cutting iniative. So everyone ran out and set
    aside far more coins than had been getting saved. This was curtailed somewhat
    by a weak economy for most of the year and collectors were greatly distracted by
    the reemergence of commemoratives after a generation of their absence. Even
    though hording was up substantially it was still a pathetic number in comparison
    to the number of mint sets normally produced. Most mint set buyers didn't care
    since they purchased them only as a speculation anyway and were unlikely to go
    out looking for rolls to set aside.

In those days very few people were yet aware that rolls generally weren't even
    available anymore. The FED branches were getting away from handling their own
    coin and the contractors didn't want to be bothered. Banks that ordered in less
    than bag quantities rarely got solid date rolls of new coin. Contractors didn't allow
    their hoppers to empty before adding new coin so the lion's share of new coins
    were issued in rolls mixed with circulated coin. Large banks would get in solid bags
    sometimes but there was NO demand in most locations. A major Chicago area vault
    manager told me he had never heard of anyone requesting a bag of new coins and
    that he made a few calls to cohorts and they hadn't heard of it either!!!

In 1982 I made a quick trip to Sandusky hoping to get a small position in the NMM
    dimes. I got to the coin shop half an hour early so as to avoid the lines. The pro-
    prieter told me that even though the story had been out a couple weeks that I was
    his FIRST customer. It wasn't too surprising he didn't want to sell cheap enough for
    me to become a distributor.

Such was the state of the hobby and the market in April of 1983. Moderns were a
    very lonely field and dimes and quarters had no following. Hell, I even got kicked out
    of a couple of coin shops when the dealer discovered I was looking for clad quarters.
    It just seemed that perverse to many people. I'm sure I don't need to mention there
    are still some who simply can't comprehend anyone's attraction to clad or moderns.

It was apparent even this early that high grade '82-P dimes were going to be extre-
    mely elusive. These all suffered from weak strikes or excessive marking. Many of the
    dies were overused and very few were set up properly. I went to the bank in Sandusky
    but I was really looking much more for nice P's than the NMM.

You'd be surprised how few coins I set aside most years. It took a lot of courage to
    set aside coins that would lose money to inflation every year and might never be col-
    lected. I refused to have an ugly coin in my collection and some years that's all there
    were; lots and lots of ugly coins. I never did find a nice '82-P from spot checking a cou-
    ple dozen banks in the midwest. All of the ones I have are from souvenir (and other)
    sets or from dealer stock.

But ALL of these sets are from a single source or bag. If there were no gems in that
    particular bag then there are no gems in the sets. I probably spot checked more
    sources in 1982 than are in existence for these dimes today. I came up empty handed.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CK,

A brilliant answer as always my friend! I was a coin collector back in 1982, but of course it took me another 20 years to realize what I know know...which sometimes is not very much. image

All I know is that the Dime is STILL under valued and if these where Nickels they would sell for alot more than grading fees!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Yes, terrific post CK! Thanks so much!
  • Options
    It's always nice to be able to learn from cladkings experience and deep knowledge concerning clad coins. image
    Dan
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. image

I should have added that I have a lot of doubt that many (if any)
    of the MS-67 '82 NMM dimes graded are fully struck. I saw what
    I believed was a representative sample of the strong strike coins
    and there were fewer than .4% that even approached the kind
    of strike I'd expect on a gem coin. Indeed, It seemed probable
    that the two well-struck coins were simply a fluke.

There are still another 9500 dimes so believing in seven or eight
    flukes isn't impossible but with the history of this die it would not
    seem likely. Supposedly the die was set up poorly in a quad press
    and ran off only a few thousand strikes before the press was stop-
    ped to change another die. These "weak" strikes showed up pri-
    marily in the Pittsburgh area. The NMM die was readjusted at this
    time and the strong strikes resulted. The die was still new enough
    that nice gem coins could have resulted but there is weakness es-
    pecially on the I of IGWT and on the bottoms of the letters. My
    guess is that the press was started after the non-NMM die was
    swapped to check for alignments and then before the press went
    back into operation the NMM dies again lost the precision for fully
    struck coins. I have some difficulty believing many coins were struck
    at this time or that many of them could have survived in pristine
    condition. Since coins tend to stay together as they are made and
    issued it seems there should have been more than just the one or
    two fully struck coins in the sample.

Then again, there's no certaity it was truly a representative sample.

I'm not even certain my example would go MS-67 by today's stand-
    ards. It has the strike and is pretty clean but grading is reputed to
    be very tough.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Great post
  • Options

<< <i>Great post >>

Thanks! I knew I started a marvelous thing!!! image Seriously all the credit goes to CladKing. He is an encyclopedia of CLAD knowledge.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MORGANHUNTER2
    Any update on the sets you mentioned? image
    Dan
  • Options
    Nice to see the 83 P getting some attention

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options

<< <i>Nice to see the 83 P getting some attention >>

I've always given the 83-P the attention it deserves. Problem is the nicer 83-P's have been ignoring me. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Going on the FB basis alone this coin should command greater than $100, if not the mid $150's.

Winning bid: US $157.50

you know your dimes
  • Options

<< <i>Going on the FB basis alone this coin should command greater than $100, if not the mid $150's.

Winning bid: US $157.50

you know your dimes >>

I learned everything I know from the "ICK" brothers....Nick and Rick. image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.