Home Metal Detecting
Options

Bay Area types... how do buried copper coins look?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
When I lived in Ohio, I dreamed of detecting in California where I might find gold. Now that I'm in California, I wish I were back east where there's older stuff. How do cents fare in the Bay Area? Copper in Ohio corrodes so fast...
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to go up into gold country to find nuggets... Grass Valley and surrounding areas are very good. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    i guess it really depends on what type of site your digging in. i'm in san jose and have dug in all types of areas. for some reason though, i don't dig very many old non silver coins. this first pic is my best shield nickel(1869), which came from under a house. the other coins also came from there.
  • Options
    these indians were dug in all sorts of places, constructions sites, homes, high schools and parks. i would say its the same anywhere you go. soil conditions vary all over.
  • Options
    Looks like he got the hole tribe!!! ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When I lived in Ohio, I dreamed of detecting in California where I might find gold. Now that I'm in California, I wish I were back east where there's older stuff. >>

Ain't that the way it always is. The ol' "Grass Is Greener" syndrome! image

I know whatcha mean, though.

Those CA guys find a surprising amount of older stuff. In recent years here on the forums, I have seen more Bust & Seated coins posted by the CA diggers than from the East Coast. Of course, there are a number of New Englanders who post on Treasurenet who rack up a bunch of earlier coins, and Tim ("phut") seems to be our sole resident digger of old stuff from that region.

I think your odds of finding a silver dollar are better there in CA than they would've been in the Midwest, or, for that matter, better than ours are here on the East Coast.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, demodigger! image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    It's all hypothetical at the moment, LordM, until the new year when I get my first detector. I had a blast using my brother's back in Ohio, though! image