Home Metal Detecting
Options

Heading out to New Haven CT

Hello, I am heading out to New Haven for the Thanksgiving holiday, I am gonna hit a few beaches in West Haven and along the eastern shores. Anybody know of any spots to hit. Thanks. Love this vacation stuff by the way. Hope to make some finds in CT beaches.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, let us know what you find. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello, I am heading out to New Haven for the Thanksgiving holiday, I am gonna hit a few beaches in West Haven and along the eastern shores. Anybody know of any spots to hit. Thanks. Love this vacation stuff by the way. Hope to make some finds in CT beaches.

Thanks >>

I've combed those beaches pretty thoroughly, as have many other people.
    According to an old man friend of mine who lives here in West Haven, there are a lot of gold rings in the water. In the old days, people swam there often. Women would venture out there and the water, being cold, would cause their fingers to shrink and their rings to fall off. This friend of mine said he recovered three diamond rings out there many years ago, not using a metal detector but merely sifting through the sand. You can only obtain these a couple of times a year, at low tide and when the moon pulls the water on Long Island Sound well away from the shore.
    Today I find TONS of fishing sinkers and other trashy stuff. I always arrive hopeful and excited, and leave feeling a little frustrated.
    In any case, many of the coins shown here came from that beach, and a nearby playground.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    So how'd it go, Rodius?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inquiring minds want to know.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    There was a pond that recently drained in Waterbury. I know someone who's been there and said it was the best detecting they've ever done.
    My eBay:
    http://myworld.ebay.com/crazyslasher27

Looking for someone to appraise a stamp collection I recently acquired. Please PM me if you can help!
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wow, I saw this post a little late. PM me if your ever coming this way again, theres an old mob house (well the foundation still exists) smack dab in the middle of route 34 here in west haven that I have been dying to hit. They used the house for booze running during prohibition, amongst other things. It burned down many years ago, but due to its location smack dab in the middle of the notrh/south lanes, they never did demolish it. As a kid I found many of cool interesting things without a metal detector, so imagine what else is down there

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    That old mob house sounds like a blast. I have two detectors. Let's hit it!