Home Sports Talk
Options

Pay-Rod back where he belongs!

What a great feeling I got when I heard that Gay-Rod is apparently going to be back with the Yanks after all! For me, there's no better combination than having my most hated player ever on the team I despise the most. As an added bonus, 2 of the few class guys the Yanks had (Torre & Mattingly) are now gone, so I'm really looking forward to a great hate-fest in 2008 and beyond! It's so great to know that the Yanks won't be going anywhere in the playoffs for at least the next few years.. what a great day for baseball!image
Jim G
All-time favorite athletes:
Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
"Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"

Comments

• Options
    not happy as a yankee fan....

this loser doesnt know how to win, and he brings down the moral of the team enough to have them lose every year in the first round....

Arod is the Anti Pujols.....so UNCLUTCH
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    As a Yankees fan, Im ready to accept him and pray this works out. Gotta support my Yanks!!
  • Options
    What I like most is that it now looks like Scott Boras is the one who did the best in the whole deal
    Tom
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What I like most is that it now looks like Scott Boras is the one who did the best in the whole deal >>

How do you figure? The Yankees said the only way they will talk to A-Rod is if Bora$$ was not present and not a part of the negotiations.

Sure, he will make money on this contract but going forward, how many players want Borass for representation when clubs don't want to deal with him? Why would a player pay him x% when they have to deal with the negotiations and take the heat for the negative publicity? Sorta defeats the purpose of having an agent, don't ya think?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Boras was working for Rodriguez, Rodriguez got a raise. That's what other players see. Maybe Boras wasn't present, but Rodriguez was most likely operating with his advice. Maybe Rodriguez won't be with Boras anymore, but that seems doubtful based on past history and past success. Yankees also said they wouldn't negotiate at all with if he chose to opt out, yet they did just that. When something like that happens usually the agent did something right
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>Boras was working for Rodriguez, Rodriguez got a raise. That's what other players see. Maybe Boras wasn't present, but Rodriguez was most likely operating with his advice. Maybe Rodriguez won't be with Boras anymore, but that seems doubtful based on past history and past success. Yankees also said they wouldn't negotiate at all with if he chose to opt out, yet they did just that. When something like that happens usually the agent did something right >>

I'm not following you at all.

1) He didn't really get a raise, it's seen more of an extension from his previous contract (see -> Link).

2) You don't pay an agent full commission for not doing all of the work. To put it in perspective, are you going to pay a real estate agent a full fee just to give you advice while you do all of the negotiations and leg work?

3) The Yanks met with A-Rod only because he came back to them on his hands and knees. He's the one who reached out, not the other way around nor through Bora$$

Other players see the negative response that Bora$$ caused, which ended up being all for naught. Only one team made an attempt to discuss a possible deal while everyone else ran for the hills. Now A-Rod has to bust his chops to try and overcome this PR nightmare..

Yet some how, some way, you see this as a positive reflection on Bora$$?

Uh, okay...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    borass should be boycotted by the owners....maybe that is how they can keep salaries down...keep the money grubbin, non athletic lawyer types out of the negotiations....
  • Options
    We really do not know what work Boras did or did not do, nor what sort of begging and compromises went on. All we know is that Rodriguez is a Boras client and made a huge contract, as he has been doing for his clients for years

When a team gives a huge contract to a player when few other teams are bidding, almost always the agent has done a great job, even if he wasn't present at negotiations. This may be the exception, but so far no sources have refuted or denied that
    Tom
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>borass should be boycotted by the owners....maybe that is how they can keep salaries down...keep the money grubbin, non athletic lawyer types out of the negotiations.... >>

It cant happen. Owners were slapped on the wrist a few years ago for collusion.
  • Options
    I have to agree with Stown. Borass lost credit here and created a PR problem for his agent. Having said that, there are only a few top agents and Borass is one of them. I would still sign with him.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    1987 to be exact, Rock Raines became a free agent and that was the only way the Spos were able to keep him--no one else tendered him a contract offer (made it kind of obvious).
    Really wish they could still collude, I still think some owners do it, but there are a few owners who just won't and that's why the salaries keep going up.
    Jay
  • Options
    Arod's image has been very badly damaged thanks to Boras.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Arod's image has been very badly damaged thanks to Boras. >>

I think Mrs. Arod and Arod himself (on and off the field) have certainly contributed the lion's share to his image...Boras is just the icing on that nasty cake.
  • Options

<< <i>

I think Mrs. Arod and Arod himself (on and off the field) have certainly contributed the lion's share to his image...Boras is just the icing on that nasty cake. >>

I was really just posting regarding shotgun's quote

<< <i>What I like most is that it now looks like Scott Boras is the one who did the best in the whole deal >>

I think Boras looks comes out looking even worse than Arod, but then we don't have to see him everyday.
  • Options

<< <i>We really do not know what work Boras did or did not do, nor what sort of begging and compromises went on. All we know is that Rodriguez is a Boras client and made a huge contract, as he has been doing for his clients for years >>

Well, according to A-Rod, he initiated the contact (source) and did what the Yankees required to meet with him (source). And as I linked above, on paper, A-Rod only got an extention of his old contract. If anything, the Yanks got a deal because of numbers that were used 7(?) years ago in addition to marketing rights for when A-Rod approaches historic milestones.

You are correct, though. Bora$$ has gotten HUGE contracts for his clients, there's no denying that. However, they (A-Rod and the Yanks) have set a precedent going forward because it isn't collusion nor circumvention.

Think of it this way. A real estate agent shows you a house and you're interested. Submit an offer but the seller comes back and says, "We won't even give you the time of day unless we meet without your agent. All negotiations, discussions, and even grabbing a beer must be done without your agent." Just think about that...

<< <i>When a team gives a huge contract to a player when few other teams are bidding, almost always the agent has done a great job, even if he wasn't present at negotiations. This may be the exception, but so far no sources have refuted or denied that >>

I don't follow. Refuted or denied what? That the deal was made because of Bora$$? That he did a great job for A-Rod?The negative publicity they got for announcing during Game 4 was a good thing?!? I'm willing to bet you have never worked on a commission basis.

Just don't understand why you think Bora$$ won but maybe it's just me.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what does this cost the Yankees? $275 million to start or $27.5 million a year. I guess you can say it also cost them $21 million in revenue that they had coming from Texas and no longer have...so that's $2 million a year over the life of the contract. Figure the NYY will be above the MLB threshhold for some time to come, and that adds what, 40% a year to the $27.5? So the contract amount plus the "tax" is $38.5 million per year, then add the $2 million in lost revenue from Texas and the contract costs NYY $40.5 million a year...or $405 million over the next ten years. Can this be right? So Boras got more than the $350 million contract he was asking for even if you toss out the lost revenue from Texas as an "expense"? Someone throw some cold water on this math, I must be wrong.
  • Options

I think you meant to say... "further damaged", lol! Gay-Rod has only hurt his own image/reputation in a a constant barrage of self-initiated snafus during the last few years.

Off-the-field: cheating on his wife in public, encouraging Boeing (a huge Seattle employer) to move hundreds of jobs to Texas right after he himself moved there, announcing his free-agency/opt-out during the WS, just to name a few

On-the-field: the infamous karate chop incident against the Redsox while running to first base, yelling out "I got it" during an IF pop-up against the BlueJays, his contstant choking in the clutch... especially in the playoffs the last 3 years with the Yanks!

In my mind, Bora$$ and Stray-Rod are a match made in heaven... they are both money-grubbing, self-absorbed, egomaniac jacka$$es who continue to hurt the sport of baseball. I say you round them up, along with pumpkin-head, and drop them off on some deserted island somewhere and we all be a lot better off!
    Jim G
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options

<< <i>not happy as a yankee fan....

this loser doesnt know how to win, and he brings down the moral of the team enough to have them lose every year in the first round....

Arod is the Anti Pujols.....so UNCLUTCH >>

So, so true! Totally agree with you on Pujols... and Ichiro's another guy that has proven to be a major clutch performer! Sure, he doesn't have the power of Pujols, but it's amazing what he's done!

He has a career avg of .333 and is hitting better than even that in almost every clutch stat:
    with RISP=.351
    with RISP(2-out)=.366
    with Bases Loaded = a whopping .473!
    Plus, in limited playoff games (10), he's batting .421!

Not to mention... Pujols & Ichiro are both class guys... plain and simple! Extremely hard workers and total professionals both on and off the field. You're right... the exact opposite of Pay-Rodimage!

Jim G
  • Options

<< <i>so what does this cost the Yankees? $275 million to start or $27.5 million a year. I guess you can say it also cost them $21 million in revenue that they had coming from Texas and no longer have...so that's $2 million a year over the life of the contract. Figure the NYY will be above the MLB threshhold for some time to come, and that adds what, 40% a year to the $27.5? So the contract amount plus the "tax" is $38.5 million per year, then add the $2 million in lost revenue from Texas and the contract costs NYY $40.5 million a year...or $405 million over the next ten years. Can this be right? So Boras got more than the $350 million contract he was asking for even if you toss out the lost revenue from Texas as an "expense"? Someone throw some cold water on this math, I must be wrong. >>

Don't forget to add in the potential FV of 756-* memorabilia and merchandise.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What a great feeling I got when I heard that Gay-Rod is apparently going to be back with the Yanks after all! For me, there's no better combination than having my most hated player ever on the team I despise the most. As an added bonus, 2 of the few class guys the Yanks had (Torre & Mattingly) are now gone, so I'm really looking forward to a great hate-fest in 2008 and beyond! It's so great to know that the Yanks won't be going anywhere in the playoffs for at least the next few years.. what a great day for baseball!image >>

Gay-Rod? Alrighty then .... fair is fair and here comes a shot at yours ...

NOBODY looks gayer in a uniform then Ichiro. That slap hitting singles compiler prances around like he should be cutting roses in the outfield. Oh .... and Ichiro has never won a damn thing.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Not to mention... Pujols & Ichiro are both class guys... plain and simple! Extremely hard workers and total professionals both on and off the field. You're right... the exact opposite of Pay-Rodimage! >>

A-Rod has done nothing in his career to deserve the above iditoic remark except get paid ungodly amounts of money. Oh, not to mention he left that abysmal franchise in the upper north west because playing for that team will never get you anywhere.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Kenny Rogers fires Bora$$

Link

Friday, November 16, 2007
    Lefty Rogers fires agent Boras, will represent himself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

Free-agent pitcher Kenny Rogers abruptly fired his agent Scott Boras and is now representing himself in present contract negotiations, MLB.com reports.

Rogers, who told MLB.com Thursday that he still hoped to re-sign with the Detroit Tigers, informed Major League teams Friday afternoon that he formally severed his business relationship with Boras, the league's Internet arm reported.

The dismissal by Rogers, who had been talking to the Tigers but also exploring other options, was confirmed for ESPN.com by team sources.

The 43-year-old lefthander was 3-4 with a 4.43 ERA in an injury-shortened season for the Tigers after helping them reach the 2006 World Series.

Rogers informed all major league teams via e-mail of the split with Boras. MLB.com says the Tigers confirmed that they were notified.

The dismissal deals another blow to the high-profile agent, who wasn't a part of Alex Rodriguez's s contract talks this week with the New York Yankees, giving rise to criticism that he misread the market this offseason and is paying the consequences.

Boras was criticized this week by Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner for giving Rodriguez bad advice during the time before their decision to opt out of Rodriguez's Yankees contract.

Detroit president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said last week that the team has expressed an interest in having Rogers return. But he said from the GM meetings in Florida last week that he was told that Rogers "and his agent want to explore other options."

Over 19 seasons, Rogers is 210-143 with a 4.43 ERA and is a four-time All-Star and five-time Gold Glove winner.

For the first time since 2001, he did not win at least 13 games.

Rogers was limited to just 11 starts after having surgery before last season to remove a blood clot from his left shoulder and repair arteries. He went back on the DL later in the year with inflammation in his elbow.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
  • Options
    Ichiro, ARod and everyone on these message boards all have one thing in common, we all have the same number of WS rings.