Home Metal Detecting

It's time folks

Time for cold weather and time to hang up the detector until spring. It is also time for those of you that must do that too to remove the batteries from your detector, nothing worse than finding corroded battery terminals in the spring.
So I have put away my detector and have my rifle at hand for deer hunting. This is when I find some cool places to hunt, old foundations, old farms and the like. I have lots of these places in mind but it seems I seldom get to them in warm weather.
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a long cold winter in Maine (lived there for a while)... and a short MD'ing season. Maybe a record (map etc) of sites would help you to get back in the spring (not because of memory.. just a visible tool to hang by the detector). I used to hunt the Jackman area... Cheers, RickO
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    I'm not throwing in the towel just yet.
    Its sunny and 60 today.............in BUFFALO!!
  • This is the best time to MD in Oklahoma. Still warm but the grass has died and you can walk through it now. Easier to find something them. Now if it would just rain to moisten the soil a little!

Carolyn
  • Lasert, it is still warm here but I don’t get out very often. I live vicariously through proactive people on this board when there is still stuff to find in my own back yard.

I bought my son and I MD permits for our city a couple of months ago. (They’re good until the same time next year; 12 months, in other words.) We haven’t used them once.
    imageimage
  • soon it'll be time for a little ice fishing on moosehead...catch a togue or salmon for me!......hh....hf
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • How right you are about it being time to hang the detector! I was out for on Monday and my fingers were like icicles after barely an hour. It's a long cold winter in Maine. image
    Be Still and Know
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Here in bone-dry GA, y'all could be detecting this afternoon, easy. It was 80 degrees, sunny, and beautiful. Bring your own water. image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm missing out on perfect dig weather while I am in "Coin Dealer Mode". But I'll change cycles again in a little while and get back out, maybe. A friend of mine is working on getting permission to some good sites. He has proven to be a great ambassador, since he knows a lot of people. I am typically shy about asking permission on private property, out of the blue, but his network pays off and he has an "in" with lots of folks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Bring some good books into the cave with you when you go into hibernation, Ken!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • We have snow in our immediate forecast though I doubt it will amount to much and the ground isn't froze up yet. It won't be long now before it will be 2 or 3 feet deep.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
    I haven't seen snow since November 1, 1999, while on my honeymoon in the NC mountains.

We haven't had snow here since the freak "snowstorm of the century" in 1989, when it actually stuck. I think they got, oh, four, five, six inches or so (I was living in NC at the time). Here in coastal GA, a short stone's throw from the FL border, that's freaky. Prior to that, I can remember a tiny dusting here on March 1, of 1980. Snow is a rare enough thing here that one can actually remember the dates. My daughter has never seen it, and my wife, prior to our honeymoon, had only seen it once, and then only a little bit.

I remember the winter of '77 was a cold one. We lived on the beach in Fernandina, Florida, in a drafty beach cottage, and it snowed there that year. I think one or two of the islands of the Bahamas got flurries that year. Wasn't that also the year Buffalo got buried?