Home Metal Detecting
Options

MD in Puerto Rico

I am going on vacation in January to PR and was wondering if anyone has had any luck on the island and what about carrying your MD. There are lots of beaches that surround the island and has anybody luck on the beaches.
Thanks for your information in advance.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lived in Puerto Rico for 18 months... at that time I did not MD... and I never saw anyone MD'ing. If that is still the case, the beaches should be very productive - if indeed detecting is legal. I would reccommend going to the treasure.net site and asking for information there... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to have a young member here on the forums who lived in PR and mostly hunted the beaches. He found mostly modern stuff, as can be expected on the beaches, but I think maybe there were some pieces of jewelry and other interesting things (modern but well-assorted world coins, for example).

C'mon, help me out, here, oldtimers... I can't remember his name. It's been two or three years since he posted, I think.

Anyway, I would imagine the place to have some vast potential.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, I look forward to packing up my MD for my January vacation.

I will post my findings when I get there.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to have a young member here on the forums who lived in PR and mostly hunted the beaches. He found mostly modern stuff, as can be expected on the beaches, but I think maybe there were some pieces of jewelry and other interesting things (modern but well-assorted world coins, for example).

C'mon, help me out, here, oldtimers... I can't remember his name. It's been two or three years since he posted, I think.

That was my son Gonfunko! We are state side now in SC. Yes, ALL beaches in PR are PUBLIC, and yes, metal detecting is allowed and some were seen at popular beaches, so do not expect a lot. Since you have a small tide, I found that looking under shade trees along the beach was more productive than the open beach. I also found that snorkeling in front of high end hotels was VERY good if the water was clear.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonfunko! That's who I was thinking of! I just couldn't dredge the name up!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Puerto Rico is good for detecting, but moslty modern stuff. I used to live in Puerto Rico, and send probably 2 months of the year in the island. You can MD most beaches, but you will mostly find jewerly and stuff like that. Also, open lots and fields are just as good for detecting as those in the US. Good luck.
    -Gabe
  • Options
    thanks, I will get my MD on the plane and most likely search over in Boqueron or near Isabela/Guajataca tunnel areas. Thanks and I hope for the best
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boqueron is a good area.. search up near the tree lines.... many people sit/picnic up there. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    It's probably off-limits but the beach to the right of the "Castillo de San Cristobal" in this photo might be insteresting to hunt.
  • Options
    loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    All beaches in Puerto Rico are public, so I don't see why the one next to the Castillo de San Cristobal would be off limits. I'm sure that would be an interesting area to search.
    -Gabe