Home Metal Detecting
Options

Finally going back out....Jim (bigtime36) are going to hit a 106yr old trail

We are heading out Sunday am..

Wish us luck!!!
This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.

Comments

• Options
    good luck
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    woo hoo!!! I can't wait, it will be my first time really getting out.

Jim

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck... HH... post the results... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710
    Good luck, I look forward to hearing what you find!
  • Options
    Go get em Earl.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    After a very interesting Friday, Jim and I managed to get out on Saturday.

We met at 10am at a gas station not too far from the site, a fourth generation owned area along the old "starvation trail". Weather was very nice to us as it was clear, warm enough to wear tee-shirts and had a nice breeze. Met the owners who were very nice and told us a little bit about the area. We decided to work down in the tree lined gulch rather than the upper areas as early settlers and transients would have stayed in cover during the winter months.

The area was about 5 min down the back pasture where we found that we had an audience of about 10 deer that were no more than 75ft away.

Jim started on the back side of the gulch and I was on the other side. Plenty of deer and horse droppings greeted us. I made the first find of the day by tripping over a steel cable that was approx 1 in diameter, what I didn't realize is how long it was and mostly underground.

Jim then found his first for the day, a .22 casing. My next find was a soda can riddled with holes. Soon enough, Jim was finding bullets and I was 5 and 0 with soda cans and finding out that the cable is well over 100ft.

Jim's tally was bullets (.22 and .38 and an unknown caliber slug) and shell casings, mine was the cable, 6 soda cans, 410 casing, couple of .22 bullets, and part of a shirt or blanket from a horse (little bit of fabric attached to snaps) and one large line nut.

Here's Jim's findings:

and mine:

We spent 3 hours and enjoyed the time outside, good conversation and the presence of deer the entire time.

Well worth it!!!

Next week we are going to try and hit a property that the original plantation house is LONG gone, but a lot of evidence still remains. I am going to torture Jim with the fun of dealing with an area that is littered with square nails, tin and the fact that I spent only an hour there prospecting and came up with a small group of IHC's and 2 barber dimes. (gotta get a pinpointer for Jim).
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a blast my first time out with Earl, he took time to let me know what i was doing right or wrong and it really help. Weather we dug up shells caseings or coins i was truely thrilled with the experience and will value it as my first time out. Thanks Earl.

Jim

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.