Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is $550 Charlotte Gold

Is $550 a good price for a Charlotte Half Eagle?
Sean
"You can't accumulate unless you speculate"

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to give the date and grade information.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    yes, tis a good deal. it would have to be bent, dinged, dented, burned, scratched,
    and etc.. combined not to be worth more then 500.

• Good deal indeed!

Want to sell for $575? image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you would need a time machine to get a nice Charlotte $5 for $550.
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    I smell a problem sale or miscommunication....There is probably a zero missing...

Dman
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Do you mean a common date half eagle from a coin dealer in Charlotte, NC? Not such a good deal.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you guys are assuming he's buying. perhaps he's asking if it's a good price because he's trying to sell and the $550 is an offer he's received.
  • 1851 Charlotte VF20 The mint mark show up great and is not an altered O. I would take a picture but at this time unable to.

It will fit in nicely to my Half Eagle "One form each of the 8 mint" collection.

Sean
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1851 Charlotte VF20 The mint mark show up great and is not an altered O. I would take a picture but at this time unable to.

It will fit in nicely to my Half Eagle "One form each of the 8 mint" collection.

Sean >>

It would have to be from China for that price.

<< <i>1851 Charlotte VF20 The mint mark show up great and is not an altered O. I would take a picture but at this time unable to.

Sean >>

There is a diagnostic "hole" in the ear lobe of Liberty on authentic 1851-C half eagles. Make sure you see it before you buy it (I assuming you are purchasing raw).
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is a VF coin & doesn't have any problems (i.e., cleaned, damaged, ex-jewelry), then $550 is an outstanding price. The majority of 1851-C $5's (about 90-95% of the total known population) have a diagnostic "piercing" of Liberty's earlobe - basically a punch in the center of the obverse, but there are a few that don't (and they constitute an extremely rare variety). Even with minor problems, $550 is a great price for '51-C Half Eagle.

C'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
    This is what an 1851-C $5 "pierced earlobe" variety looks like... as mentioned above, 9 out of every 10 '51-C $5's will have the mint-made "piercing" of Liberty's ear. There are a few (very few) known examples which do not have this diagnostic.

This one's in an NGC XF-45 holder:

imageimage

cheers,

C'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • It is a graded coin by National Numismatic Certification which I have never heard of.

"There is a diagnostic "hole" in the ear lobe of Liberty on authentic 1851-C half eagles. " It does have have this "hole". All of LIBERTY is visible but worn

Sean
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting... not having ever collected Charlotte gold, I did not know of this. Amazing how much we learn from each other here. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>It is a graded coin by National Numismatic Certification which I have never heard of.

"There is a diagnostic "hole" in the ear lobe of Liberty on authentic 1851-C half eagles. " It does have have this "hole". All of LIBERTY is visible but worn

Sean >>

NNC is a third-world slabber. I would consider them to be worse than raw and would assume that the coin would be a no-grade at PCGS or NGC.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is NNC-slabbed then there really must be a reason for this and it would scare the bejeesus out of me.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• What would be the reason for being in an NNC case? As being new to gold I am always looking to be educated before too late. Thanks for any information.
    Sean
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What would be the reason for being in an NNC case? As being new to gold I am always looking to be educated before too late. Thanks for any information. >>

Unsalvageable problem that would result in a body bag or "problem coin" holder at PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, and SEGS.
    It's probably in its current slab because that particular company is one of the few that would actually encase it.... tells me that '51-C most likely has some major issues, hence the asking price of only $550. Typically, a problem-free C-mint Half Eagle will cost you $1400-$1600 in VF. Coins w/minor probs in that grade will run ya @ $1000-$1100 (i.e. ANACS "cleaned"). If the seller is reputable, and offers a return option, it may be worth taking a shot to see the coin in hand. If it indeed has major issues, send that puppy back.

regards,

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file