Home Metal Detecting
Options

What are the odds...

of finding a 1963 silver dime on an new (no more than 1 year old) elementary school playground under some playground equipment on top of the wood chips?

I figure it is rare to find silver dimes still in circulation, let alone loosing said silver dime by a child.

I found this dime (@ F condition) almost as bright and shiny as new this last weekend. It was my first find of the day too.

Comments

• Options
    Maybe a child got into Dad's silver jar, or it may have been one of the rare silvers still in circulation?

nice find! image
  • Options
    The odds are slim. But these things happen. Even stranger happens though.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    You never know when you'll hit silver, it is sometimes where you least expect it. I have been to sites that looked untouched and were in fact very old. What do I find? Silver maybe? No, modern clad. You just need to keep the coil to the ground and keep looking. image
  • Options
    Thats the bad thing about fall and winter months in Washington; lots of rain and cold. Not to mention it not even getting light until about 7am and dark by 5pm. Very difficult to get out.
  • Options
    Yep, in winter it gets dark early . But in summer you can detect in daylight until almost 11 PM and the weather is great. Been there - done that. Enjoyed it greatly.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Well my son found a 1963 silver dime under a display case in babbages at the local mall. (babbage is a computer game store)

He also found a 19 something wheatie laying in the parking lot at wal mart, and another one lying on the floor at JC penny's..

Random ..but it happens..
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both wheaties and silver are getting really scarce.. but they are still out there... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    In the last couple years I've found 2 silver quarters a silver dime a V nickel and a buffalo nickel in the loose woodchips of a playground.