Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Weird old Penny

its a penny from the 1800's I would give the exact date but right now I dont have the penny, when I did I tried to sign up to make a topic but I had to be approved..

its an odd penny with someones address on the back, I think it might be a mayor or something, I cant take a good enough picture of it as I just have my 1 MP Cell phone camera

"M.ADLETA 570 CEN AVENUE CINCINNATI"

does ANYONE know what it is, or how much it might be worth?

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a civil war token.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a counterstamped piece. These were done for advertising or personal reasons. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Impossible to guess value without a picture.
  • Options
    does that mean it isnt rare or worth much?
  • Options

<< <i>Impossible to guess value without a picture. >>

I mean is there a guide I can look up what possible values it may have?

is something like this covered by PCGS?
  • Options
    So no one knows where I can find more information on this?
  • Options

<< <i>Impossible to guess value without a picture. >>

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

It is a Civil War token, CWT-165A-4a, M. Adleta of Cincinnati. It is considered common and worth between $15-$25 in circulated grades. If it is uncirculated then you would have something worth $70 and up, depending on quality.
  • Options

<< <i>It is a Civil War token, CWT-165A-4a, M. Adleta of Cincinnati. It is considered common and worth between $15-$25 in circulated grades. If it is uncirculated then you would have something worth $70 and up, depending on quality. >>

how can I tell if its uncirculated or not? is there a telltale sign?

or is that something for PCGS?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It is a Civil War token, CWT-165A-4a, M. Adleta of Cincinnati. It is considered common and worth between $15-$25 in circulated grades. If it is uncirculated then you would have something worth $70 and up, depending on quality. >>

how can I tell if its uncirculated or not? is there a telltale sign?

or is that something for PCGS? >>

If it has full details and mint luster with no signs of wear then there is a good chance it's uncirculated.....but I highly doubt it.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Well, since we don't have a picture to help us, we can just give some general advice. Take a look at a handful of coins in your pocket. Do you notice how most of the cents are either red in color or red and brown? That's what an "unc" would look like for a CWT, speaking in very general terms. If you token shows that some of the detail is missing and is a mellowed copper color, then it is likely circulated. Just do not clean it under any circumstance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file