Home Metal Detecting
Options

You Guys in Georgia and Alabama

Have you searched river banks and found rocks with silver or gold in them...I found a around a 20lb piece of quarz rock with silver running through it...

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

not much Quartz down here where I live near Savannah. Or at least I haven't seen very much.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    guitarwes, this quartz is common in Central Alabama and I guess Georgia also....They told me in Alabama that the marble of this area is the finest in the World it beats out Itailian Marble...I just made a trip down to the river and thought I would gather a few rocks to bring back home to Chicago...and I found this 20lb pink quartz rock with multiple silver veins running through it...at first I did not realize it was silver until I got home...or I would have gathered more...the pile of rocks I was searching is located not far from a gold mine that was mined up until the middle 1940's and is on secured Government lands....These rocks must have been dumped by truck loads....lots of quartz caves in the area also.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I grew up in Rome, GA. Found tons of quartz with veins of varying composition, but never anything that large. Milky quartz is extremely common in the Carolina highlands. I went to school in Statesboro, GA, then lived in the Savannah, GA region for a total of 6 years. While quartz isn't common, whale, shark, and mastodon fossils, among many others, are common in that region.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I live in the northwest area of Atlanta and there appears to be tons of quartz around this area. I never found any Gold of Silver yet, but that would be fun to come across. I'm not a Geologist, but I guess this is a chunk of quartz. I picked it up a few weeks back. If you are ever in this area, go check out the Weinman Mineral Museum up toward Cartersville. I think it's closed right now while they are building a new science museum, but it's an amazing place to see. They have minerals from all over the world.

• Options
    Yep Pete that is quartz all right....it is really pretty when you get into the colors...Pinks, blues...keep looking your in gold territory!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quartz gets real pretty if you can find the full crystals.... not many areas for this. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    If any of you are ever in Central Alabama...there is a Cave Called Desoto Caverns it is the largest in the world...you can research it on the net...it has a great history as it was a barial ground of the Creek Indians....In the depression they used it for an illegal Speak Easy and bootleg whisky...it is full of stalagmites and stalatites(spell)....I found my Quartz rock near the Coosa River in Childersburg, Alabama.

They also used it during the Civil War...lots of history.
  • Options
    The Coosa runs all the way to Rome, GA to meet up with the Oostanaula, forming the Etowah River.
  • Options
    BunchOBull, you are right...it is the mighty Coosa...Have you been to Desoto Caverns? Your just about an hour and 15 minuites away.
  • Options
    Never been to the caverns, the grandfolks took my mother as a child though, fairly often. I go over to Little River Canyon for a visit ever couple of years.
  • Options
    OT, but I couldn't help myself.

I found loads of crystal quartz while scoping out the abandoned Flowery Gold Mine in Virginia City, Nev this past Feb. Didn't find any gold or silver though image (but I hadn't expected to)

Here's a cool piece--
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismatics, that is a nice piece of quartz...I should do that the next time I go to Nevada...it would be fun.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Guitarwes said, we ain't got much in the way of rocks down here on the GA coast. Now, in the more northerly part of the state, that's a different story, of course.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Speaking of quartz, the oldest artifacts I've ever found are made out of a whitish quartzlike rock.

It is almost as translucent as the piece MPeter posted (well, maybe not quite), but stained somewhat by the red clay, and the flash on the camera makes both pieces look dull and opaque.

I found both in Western North Carolina, in the mountains.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovan, those look like Indian heads...mighty hard stone those are made out of.....lot of different rocks to be found in the South East....In the beginning there was a lot of volcanic action leaving voids...it is truly interesting to try to know the history of the areas....my property is in a volcanic(voided area)marbled stone,quartz and gold territory...so the mixture is abound....One day if I ever get the time...I would like to go back down there and just search...but when I go I never have the time to search....I know there has to be something on my land as there is a creek that runs on the north side of it and a branch off of it cuts down into my land...then there is a hot spring on the south side(long dried up from the daming of the rivers)....from what I have searched it could be signs of maybe some gold, silver...but to dig for it would be some kinda chore!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice arrow heads LordM.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The one on the left is Paleolithic, and several thousand years old.

I'm not so sure about the one on the right- in fact, I am not even sure it is a projectile point. It sure looks like it. Maybe it was an unfinished one.

You'd never find rocks in such a size in the soil here. I guess our local Indians on the coast traded to get their points.

Here is a tiny one I found down here.

And another, from last fall.

So I have found two in the North Carolina mountains and two down here in Coastal Georgia.