Home Metal Detecting
Options

Which detector to go with?

I am looking at upgrading my detector. I am wanting to know the best one in a price range of $600-$800. I have been looking at the White's MXT model and the White's Matrix M6. I am wanting an easy to use detector that can find coins with ease to depths of at least 10". The simplar the better for me as I am not experienced with detectors at all but am wanting to become an experienced one with a good quality machine to help me out. Thanks.
Blah Blah Blah!!!

Comments

• Options
    I read your other thread asking about the MXT. You're going to be hard pressed finding a machine that can correctly ID coins at that depth. Most of the better machines can detect large coins or objects at that depth. But they won't be able to ID them correctly - especially dimes and pennies. Hence you will need to dig to find out. Then if you have a soil that is high in salts or mineralized, your detection depth will be less.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Yeah I should not have said with "ease" at that depth.LOL So is the MXT a good "all around" quality detector that is easy to use? I am really racking my brain over this right now.LOL I went hunting out in the yard today and found a penny and nothing else of any value. A bunch of old bullet shell casings and a bunch of trash. Just wanting a machine that will probly do a better job on the hunt. I've got a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II right now. Thinking of passing it on to my nephew and getting me a different one.

I am wanting to go to Bentonville, North Carolina to the Civil War battlefield where my Dad used to go and search for old artifacts. He found a bunch of old bullets and what not down there. I was looking at ChicagoRon's website and it was making me want to hunt even more. Those were some nice finds he came across.
    Blah Blah Blah!!!
  • Options
    Yep, the MXT is a very good turn-and-go machine. The learning curve is not as steep as some machines, but it IDs very well and the discrimination is good too. As far as ID goes, the best so far was a Walker at 9 inches in good, clean soil. But it still was not sure if it was a quarter or half. With the stock coil you'll be able to ID dimes at about 5 inches. Quarters to 6. But, plan on purchasing an elliptical coil for your best noise rejection. And stay away from wet salt beaches. The salt balance doesn't balance it out that well. The machine itself is great for small gold because of the operating freq. Other machines are better for coins, but the MXT still will prove worthy for coin shooting.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. I'm looking at a Nautilus DMC IIB also. Anyone know anything about this detector?
    Blah Blah Blah!!!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I favor the White's DFX.... Cheers, RickO