Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

US-PHIL 1913-S 20 centavos picked up on ebay turned out to be 1913-S/S

Comments

• That's a nice pickup, are you going to send it back to PCGS for the S/S designation?
  • Nice coin--now why didn't that happen to me?
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Congratulations! This is a beautiful horned S. And I don't remember if it always goes together with a repunched "1", but the one on your coin is certainly repunched.

Congrats again. You're really scoring some nice coins. And what did PCGS slab it at?

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock

• << <i>That's a nice pickup, are you going to send it back to PCGS for the S/S designation? >>

Already submitted for variety review yesteday at the santa clara coin shows.

<< <i>Congrats again. You're really scoring some nice coins. And what did PCGS slab it at? >>

MS64
    jetblack740il

==================================

Complete US-PHIL Coins for Sale, Circulation Strikes 1903-1945
  • This coin came back from variety review as PEDIGREE: REPUNCHED MINTMARK, and not S/S variety. Anybody knows the difference between pedigree and variety?
    jetblack740il

• the coin rocks! nice die cracks as well!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Can someone post a 1913-s/s philippines 20 centavos for comparison. PCGS thinks this is not an S/S variety.
    jetblack740il

• UPDATES:

PCGS corrected to reflect the S/S variety. And now 2 more to go to complete my 20 Centavos Set.
    jetblack740il

• Any idea on what a 1904 20 centavos in NGC 63 is currently worth? (lots of color on the coin).

• << <i>PCGS corrected to reflect the S/S variety. And now 2 more to go to complete my 20 Centavos Set. >>

Congrats! Not only for the fortunate pickup, but also for nearing completion of your (mostly GEM!) 20 Centavos registry.

Do me a favor though, if you don't mind. Take a look at the two One Centavo images I just posted, and tell me if you agree with the assessment of two others who have offered opinions regarding grades. If you believe they won't grade at least MS60, then I won't bother sending them to PCGS.

<< <i>Any idea on what a 1904 20 centavos in NGC 63 is currently worth? (lots of color on the coin). >>

Likely it is worth less than you might expect for a coin having a mintage of merely 10,000. That is because these were first introduced for sale at the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904, along with 1,355 proofs, and many more survived in high mint state than otherwise would have been the case. In fact the 1904-S 20 Centavos in MS63, with a mintage of just over 2 million, is probably more valuable than the Philadelphia mint counterpart, as these were not saved in great numbers, and at that grade that issue becomes somewhat of a conditional rarity.

Here's what the 2009 Red Book and the 2008 Coin Digest record as value in MS63 for that coin (and a few others for illustration purposes).

1904(P) 20 Centavos - Red Book $200 - Coin Digest(2008) $150 - mintage: 10,000
    1904-S 20 Centavos - Red Book $220 - Coin Digest(2008) $150 - mintage: 2,060,000
    1903(P) 20 Centavos - Red Book $90 - Coin Digest(2008) $70 - mintage: 5,350,231
    1903-S 20 Centavos - Red Book $1,750 - Coin Digest(2008) $750 - mintage: 150,080

Red Book prices for MS60 and MS63, while Coin Digest prices for Unc and BU, which along with the fact that my digest is older, may account for the lower prices. Even so, they both are consistent in demonstrating that higher mintage coins had higher values (in general) than the 1904 Philadelphia minted coinage. The same somewhat holds true for the 10 centavos, (1903p is lower; 1903S is way higher), but regarding 50 centavos and one peso coins the 1904(P) is higher, though not by a huge amount.

• << <i>Any idea on what a 1904 20 centavos in NGC 63 is currently worth? (lots of color on the coin). >>

I would say between $175.00 - $225.00. Look at this one that was sold on eBay NGC MS65 for $500.99.
    jetblack740il

• << <i>

<< <i>Any idea on what a 1904 20 centavos in NGC 63 is currently worth? (lots of color on the coin). >>

I would say between $175.00 - $225.00. Look at this one that was sold on eBay NGC MS65 for $500.99. >>

Mine has much better color, but is only a 63. I'll post a few pics later.

Edited to add: You can find some photos of it in here....

1904 USPI 20 centavo