Home Sports Talk

Torre vs. Mattingly - interesting and humorous

WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
Inspired by another thread extolling Mattingly's virtues and occassionally mentioning Joe Torre as getting into the HOF as a manager. Joe Torre actually had some pretty good numbers as a player, too. Obviously I am being very selective, but Torre's single-season highs eclipse Mattingly's in the following areas: (Torre's numbers first)

HR: 36 vs 35
BB: 70 vs 61
SB: 4 vs 3 lol
3B: 9 vs 4
On Base Pct: .421 vs .394
Ave: .363 vs .352

Anyway, This was not meant to prove anything, just thought it was fun. image
Wondo

Comments

• nice comparison..i thought you were pulling our leg on some of those numbers, but i double checked. Torre had an amazing 1971 season! MVP to boot. very solid career, def. HOF worthy, similar to Ted Simmons.
  • glad you liked my Mattingly tribute thread.....

im still hurting from him no longer being a yankee.....DAMN THAT SMARTS
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Have you seen how Torre wears a baseball cap? That alone should be addressed BEFORE he goes into the hall SHEESH
  • Torre was about as good a Hall-of-Fame candidate as Mattingly before he was a manager
    Tom
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Torre was about as good a Hall-of-Fame candidate as Mattingly before he was a manager >>

Torre was a heckuva player. Baseball is strewn with awesome performers for short spurts, Maris, Tommy Davis, Pete Reiser, Rosen, Klu, Howard, just to name a few hitters of which I am aware. Felipe Alou was no slouch either. There are only a couple of guys (Koufax is one) that were so freakin' good over a short span that it warrant HOF status.
    Wondo

• << <i>Baseball is strewn with awesome performers for short spurts >>

Torre's played in more games than Berra, Bench, far more than Cochrane, Dickey, Hartnett, Lombardi

Torre's chances for the Hall-of-Fame were based on both winning an MVP and his longevity. Granted he was only a catcher for half his career and won his MVP at thirdbase, which is why his playing alone wasn't enough

I have mixed feelings about how his managerial career changes his chances. It's impossible to ignore what the Yankees did in the 90s. But before he started with the Yankees he had been a manager for 14 seasons without ever making the playoffs (if there was a Wild-Card, he would have done so once). Was he a great manager or was it simply because they had great players?
    Tom
  • He definately had great players, but someone's got to run the train while the engines are at full song. Torre was the perfect manager for the Yankees because he could deal with the egos both in the dugout and the front office. I don't see Girardi going to 12 straight post-seasons.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!