Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Modern cards have robbed me of my joy...

I love modern cards! I didn't get into them until about a year ago. I remember I would buy tons of 80's cheap stuff from BBCE and Ebay and sit for hours opening. I enjoyed just pulling players I watched and collected growing up. I remember the first modern set I was introduced to. It was 2006 Turkey Reds. I was hooked. Then I got hooked on the 06 Bowman Heritage. Then the 07 A&G. Tonight I tried to sit through a bit of time opening 1989 Topps baseball rack packs. I made it through 3 packs before I got bored. What has happened to me?! I'm really bummed now. I'm sitting here looking at all the game used and auto's I've pulled realizing that I have been sucked in by it all. Now, if it doesn't have something interesting in it, I don't want to open it. Where did I go wrong? Have I become greedy? I feel that I have drifted from the "real" side of the hobby and become so engrossed by the shiny stuff. What do I do? HELP!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    You have joined the dark side.....but I understand because I cannot open any boring wax anymore either. It was good to be a kid and love to open junk wax.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Yep. Allen is right. I have several 90' fleer,91 upper deck, and 91 score unopened packs that I can care less about tearing these packs open. But back in the day I could not wait to open this junk.
  • Options

<< <i>I love modern cards! I didn't get into them until about a year ago. I remember I would buy tons of 80's cheap stuff from BBCE and Ebay and sit for hours opening. I enjoyed just pulling players I watched and collected growing up. I remember the first modern set I was introduced to. It was 2006 Turkey Reds. I was hooked. Then I got hooked on the 06 Bowman Heritage. Then the 07 A&G. Tonight I tried to sit through a bit of time opening 1989 Topps baseball rack packs. I made it through 3 packs before I got bored. What has happened to me?! I'm really bummed now. I'm sitting here looking at all the game used and auto's I've pulled realizing that I have been sucked in by it all. Now, if it doesn't have something interesting in it, I don't want to open it. Where did I go wrong? Have I become greedy? I feel that I have drifted from the "real" side of the hobby and become so engrossed by the shiny stuff. What do I do? HELP!!!!! >>

1. Search for awesome singles on Ebay
    2. the challenge of the search
    3. the excitement in the find
    4. the anxiety of the successful snipe...,
    5. the fun in opening the package at the door
    6. cherish it until you get bored of it
    7. then sell it, hopefully for a profit, if not you had your fun....
    8. go to step 1

Surprisingly enough, i still have 50-100 cards I am still not bored of...

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Feel free to sell me your autos and game used CHEAP! image
  • Options
    chbchb Posts: 212

<< <i>Modern cards have robbed me of my joy >>

Joy robbed me of my modern cards. Beautiful gal, beautiful name, but in the end no more than a petty thief.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Baseball cards, when they were "new" were not for the kids. Evil tobacco sellers used images of baseball players as an incentive to buy their brand. On the other hand, the "chewing gum cabal" realized that using player picture cards as a "bonus" to buy some nasty tasting chewing gum as an incentive worked big time. Cookies, Stickers, Puzzles, Corn Flakes, Kraft mac and cheese, shiny junk, numbered, rare, error,pogs,graded, all had a place in collecting. Complete sets were not and never were the "focus" when I was growing up at all. I wanted to Find a Reds card when I bought a pack. I chewed the gum and my cards were thumbtacked/ taped on my wall. I still do not understand why some people will pay a premium for T-206's when no one alive ever watched those players play. Heck- in 1969 I thought the Mets were the greatest team ever- cause that World Series was the first one I ever watched. If I could have bought a Reds team set in 1969 I would have never chewed a SLAB of Yuck. image Buying 1960 Leaf PSA 10 cookies.................
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I guess all the more reason to stay away from that new fangled cut up memobilia and 1/1 cards. I mean, it's bad enough I have to be so anal about the condition of sets (getting a top grade single is one thing; imagine trying to make a 660 or 792 card set the best it can be). image But still, I have learned over the years to be a BIT more realistic on set buying as I have gained more experience during this decade that I've collected sets (before I went to college I could only afford to buy a few packs here and there and hope to hit the big one; the 1990s was all about insertmania if you'll recall). So other than the regular Topps sets, I guess I'd better steer clear of anything from the 21st century and stick with the last quarter of the 20th century. image Sorry, I can't afford to do Heritage sets. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Normally I sit back in the shadows and just read but I felt compelled to respond to this thread because I HATE MODERN CARDS! Prior to the beginning of this year the last thing I collected was '94 Fleer football. Dan Marino Aerial Attack was worth $50 then. I don't even remember why I started buying again but I did, vintage football rookies. I started looking into newer cards and could not believe how many cards rookie players had, the different types of cards each company made and the amazing amount of autographed cards. To me it seemed that if it wasn't autographed why would anyone want it these days. Why even have a base set. Bowman's Best, Bowman, Bowman Chrome, 69 different Topps products, 38 Upper Deck Jesus Christ give me a break. But the evil devils on these very boards did get me buying A&G this year, dropped about 2 grand until I realized I wasn't going to be the one to pull The George Washington hair relic or some Orville Wright cut signature, so I sold it all on ebay and lost hundreds. Through it all I am now buying early 80's baseball boxes and enjoying pulling a Ripken rookie, Clemens, Bonds, Boggs etc. Never collected baseball so this is new to me. I finished an '82 Fleer set, only worth $40 but it was actually fun. Am a little frustrated that through boxes of '83 Fleer and Topps I still haven't pulled a Gwynn but I will. I guess I just like the idea of a 660 card set, no inserts, no parallels, no auto's. Easy. But sadly, next year I'll probably drop another grand on A&G and be writing another overly long response to a similar thread like this. If you're reading this and see my point, good, cause I'm not even sure what it is.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I think your problem is that you were ripping 1989 Topps, one of the more boring (and ugly) sets of the 80s.

Ripping 1989 Topps and wondering if you've been corrupted by modern cards is like having a bad day at re-thinking your life.

Rip some 1988 Fleer or 1987 Donruss, and you might feel better. image

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guru

This is a tough on to figure.

Perhaps ripping with no goal in mind is doing more harm than modern - as such.

Also - cards alone can - potentially - wear thin after a while IMO.

So, I recommend, the next time ya want to "rip" - do an attitude check - goal, budget, plans for what you're ripping etc.

Next - consider diversifying - another area of the hobby.

I also collect pins, Topps cartoon baseball card art, sports related whiskey decanters, board games, auto books, Hartlands - to name a few.

So - what I'm alluding to - why did you pick the 89T year to rip?

My biggest area of interest and joy right now is finding new variations to the sheet music by Jack Norworth, "Take me out...."

Looks like you may have fallen into a hole - but don't worry - it's easy to climb out.

Just do some thinking and soul searching....

and help from your friends!

Mike
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think your problem is that you were ripping 1989 Topps, one of the more boring (and ugly) sets of the 80s.

Ripping 1989 Topps and wondering if you've been corrupted by modern cards is like having a bad day at re-thinking your life.

Rip some 1988 Fleer or 1987 Donruss, and you might feel better. image >>

Hey, there is nothing wrong with 1989 Topps. That along with 1989 Donruss was the first packs that I ever got growing up! image Though I will admit 1987 Donruss is much better design wise. Also, 1989 Donruss is more colorful and might be more fun to open (and almost as cheap).
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I thought 89 Topps was modern
    Tom
  • Options
    The 89 Topps happen to be in my closet. There's some 92 Stadium Club up there too, but I have the set already.

Stone- budget is a good reason to get away from some of the newer stuff. I've also looked into board games too. I just got a Yogi Bear board game in the mail the other day. I had one when I was a kid. We sold it in a yard sale. I was devestated. So I bought one off of ebay. Missing pieces though.

I went through all my game used and auto cards tonight. I pulled the one's that don't really mean anything to me and I'm just gonna list them tomorrow on the bay. Still trying to figure things out though.