Home Metal Detecting
Options

What is the most valuable individual item you've ever heard of being found?

I know someone that found a chain cent, it's really only worth a couple grand. I'm sure there are bigger finds out there...

Comments

• Options
    1792 half disme
    1916 D Merc
  • Options
    Harry Winston original 1 ct princess diamond ring. retail 28,000.00 I have seen the ring and hunt with the guy that found it on a regular basis. Did he sell it? NO his wife claimed it, and she wears it all the time.
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White's dealer in Albany (Bob LaVoy) MD'd a jar full of Double Eagles... forget the total value... but mega-bucks... His find (and him) were documented on the TV show 'Treasure Hunters'... I have a copy of the segment. Will have to look at it again... monster find. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Lavoy also MD'd the Upstate NY Cache aka Mohawk Valley Hoard (TM'd by Keshequa Coins). That included a hoard of 550 or so silver coins, mostly CBHs and quarters a few FH halves and pieces of eight. Not as valuable as the gold find but together seems to put Lavoy at or near the top.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus, Bob is a real nice guy, very helpful and willing to give advice when asked. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The biggest find ive ever heard of was a cache it was supposed to be worth around $2 million. I forgot where i was reading about it though.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    There is an artist in Virginia, Vernon Cross, really nice man, recently moved east from Alaska. He found a belt plate this spring. It's been featured on the cover of several magazines and on the White's website. Anyway, their is no determinate value on the piece, but it's a Civil War plate, with the monogram "MVM." Most certainly the "VM" stands for Volunteer Militia, the first "M" is the question. The nation's best Civil War historians are puzzling over this one, no one has any definitive ideas.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com