Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankee fans rejoice, AROD OPTS OUT!!!

the only thing that could make a yankee fan feel better after the Sox won the WS is news that AROD will be leaving NY!

the yanks have been a laughing stock since Arod arrived...since he was here, the yanks have folded like a cheap suit in the playoffs...

its his demeanor, his non-winning me first attitude, his brutal playoff stats, his smirk that annoys Jeter to no end....

I would rather have M Lowell at third base in a heart beat!

Arod will be known as the biggest mercenary in sports history...he obviously doesnt care about winning, only where he could get the biggest contract to attract girlfiends his wife wouldnt find out about...

its not a coincidence the yankees have been bounced easily in the playoffs since arod was here, the team usually takes the attitude of the highest paid player (Ramirez and Ortiz are clutch-the red sox are clutch) (Arod epitome of anti-clutch, yanks anti-clutch)

as a yankee fan i dont care if AROD had 4 MVP's 75 HR and 175 RBI in regular season, ITS THE PLAYOFFS THAT MATTER when making the playoffs is almost a foregone conclusion (and it should be with $200 mill payroll)

if AROD could have a fraction of the clutch hitting Pujols possesses, then the Yanks maye have won 2 WS in the last 4 years!

AROD DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT CHUMP..I HOPE YOUR WIFE DIVORCES YOU AND TAKES ALL YOUR MONEY!

edit to add : MOST CLASSLESS MOVE ANNOUNCING IT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF GAME --perfect example of me first...

"the world revolves around AROD, he is the SUN, the MOON, the WORLD" --BORAS -another money grubber destined for hell

Comments

• Options
    A-Rod putting himself above the game
    By Buster Olney
    ESPN The Magazine

Alex Rodriguez couldn't be at the World Series to receive an award from Hank Aaron -- a family commitment was the stated reason -- but he managed to upstage Game 4, with the help of agent Scott Boras, who announced in the early innings that his client is opting out of his contract.

The way this played out could not have been more apropos, because A-Rod needs to be bigger than the game; he needs to be more important than the Red Sox or the Rockies or any other team, or any other player. He is one of the greatest players in history at compiling statistics, the greatest ever at compiling wealth, and his next employer will have to buy into that. The World Series can't matter as much as A-Rod.

Maybe that will work for the Angels, or the Giants, or the Dodgers, or the Red Sox. It is not going to be the case for the Yankees, who were prepared to pay Rodriguez the highest salary in history and couldn't even get him to the negotiating table, after his four tumultuous seasons with the team.

There were some within the Yankees' organization who thought that Boras was bluffing, that there was no way he'd walk away from the Yankee dollars, but there were others who have been convinced for the better part of a year that Rodriguez would sprint away from the team at year's end.

Rodriguez talked intermittently about loving New York and loving his place with the Yankees, but some of his peers within the team thought this was the real bluff. In the end, this meant so little to him that his time with the Yankees didn't end with the requested face-to-face meeting, but with Boras sending a text message with a document attachment to GM Brian Cashman.

It's his prerogative to move on, of course. He has the right to make as much money as he can. But buyers beware: If you buy into A-Rod, well, he has to effectively own your team. He has to dominate your clubhouse. He has to be the story. His salary demands virtually require all of that, because no matter where he goes, A-Rod will likely account for 20-35 percent of his next team's payroll. He must be bigger than the manager, bigger than his teammates.

His pursuit of Barry Bonds' record will be the focal point of your organization, the way that Bonds' chase of Aaron possessed the Giants the last five years.

The Yankees have insisted that they won't chase Rodriguez, and assuming they stick to their word, maybe it's for the best. A-Rod never seemed particularly comfortable playing under the pressure of the Steinbrenner Doctrine, which renders all regular-season statistics meaningless without the validation of a championship.

And some of Rodriguez's teammates were constantly perplexed by him, wondering why he had a knack for melodrama; they were awed by his talent and by his seeming insecurity, which they thought was at the root of his postseason struggles. He has played four seasons in New York and will almost certainly leave after two MVP awards, 173 homers and 513 RBIs, and yet somehow he never seemed to fit in entirely.

Somebody will buy into A-Rod, of course. He's an extraordinary player. The cost will be hundreds of millions, and the heart and soul, of his next franchise.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. He updates his Insider blog each morning on ESPN.com.
  • Options
    Sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me.
    He's still the best player in baseball, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lowell at 3rd and A-Rod at short for the Sox next year.
    And as far as Yankees fans go, remember, without A-Rod this year (I'm not talking about last year), the Yankees wouldn't have even been in the playoffs.
    Jay
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olney's article was certainly thought-provoking and I'm sure MLB GMs are thinking that way before jumping into the bidding.
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me.
    He's still the best player in baseball, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lowell at 3rd and A-Rod at short for the Sox next year.
    And as far as Yankees fans go, remember, without A-Rod this year (I'm not talking about last year), the Yankees wouldn't have even been in the playoffs.
    Jay >>

I've also heard some "buzz" about signing both A-Rod and Lowell and putting A-Rod at short, but I'd bet anything that it wouldnt happen.

Lowell is gone.

• Options
    there is no way AROD can go back to ss, he was a bad thirdbaseman (an easier position than SS) and he has put on 30 pounds since coming to the yankees...he is what he is, a great regular season 3rd baseman who clams up when it counts.....

didnt even see that buster olney article until now! im glad someone in the media agrees with us Yankee Fans...GOOD RIDDANCE!

the yankees are too big a franchse, they stand on their own, they dont need "a Chase" to sell tickets...that belongs in SF or another sorry franchise that gives in to "superstars"....
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, I thought Pay-Rod would at least wait until a new manager was named, and perhaps even have a meeting with him. Announcing during Game 4 made no sense. I will be extremely pissed if the Sox sign this jerk. Lowell's integrity should count for something (in addition to his great hitting and defense) above Pay-Rods "star power".
  • Options
    i dont know who has a bigger head, BoRas, or the money grubbers he represents....

the owners should ban together and refuse to deal with any Boras clients...get this shadrule out of the game...

owners are a fraternity and should stick together...Boras is single handedly ruining the game!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i dont know who has a bigger head, BoRas, or the money grubbers he represents....

the owners should ban together and refuse to deal with any Boras clients...get this shadrule out of the game...

owners are a fraternity and should stick together...Boras is single handedly ruining the game! >>

How naive, no one holds a gun to any owners head and forces them to shell out contracts and overspend. Why not say the same thing about Tom Hicks, he's the one who agreed to spend stupid money. Stupid is as stupid does. Personally I could care less about the whole Arod thing.
  • Options

<< <i>owners are a fraternity and should stick together... >>

People died fighting against this sort of destructive buisness practice
    Tom
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Geez, I thought Pay-Rod would at least wait until a new manager was named, and perhaps even have a meeting with him. Announcing during Game 4 made no sense. I will be extremely pissed if the Sox sign this jerk. Lowell's integrity should count for something (in addition to his great hitting and defense) above Pay-Rods "star power". >>

one thing the Sox don't need is the "network value" that Bora$ is pushing as Arod's essential attraction. Sold out every time, popular nationwide and throughout all of Japan, what added value could Arod bring to the Sox network? I think none.
  • Options
    the sox dont need Afraud. This classless douche can go play for the 3rd place giants in relative obscurity.

The sox should sign Lowell and keep the youth movement going.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>owners are a fraternity and should stick together... >>

People died fighting against this sort of destructive buisness practice >>

ahm, this is baseball, not true business...MLB has a monopoly and they play BIG business their way....

Boras causes players to do and act differently then they would without him...he is the devil on the left shoulder saying "more More, you need to hold out for MORE money"
  • Options
    What references are there supporting the idea that Boras causes players to do things they would be unwilling to do with someone else representing them?

Do players with agents other than Scott Boras take less money than their maximum earning power as a way to please management?

Doesn't being a monopoly and doing buisness their way -- not the everyone else is obligated to do buisness -- mean they should be held to even higher ethical standards?
    Tom
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    whereever he goes,hes gonna make more $ than we do, his wife could prob care less abut his girlfriends as long as he brings home that paycheck lol-prob got a prenuptual aggreement in there anyways if he was smart-you leave with the marriage with what you brought into it- i dont know what she does for work ,i amagine nothing lol
  • Options

<< <i>i dont know who has a bigger head, BoRas, or the money grubbers he represents....

owners are a fraternity and should stick together...Boras is single handedly ruining the game! >>

Uh, the last time they tried they got sued and lost.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I'll take ARod on my team any day.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>one thing the Sox don't need is the "network value" that Bora$ is pushing as Arod's essential attraction. Sold out every time, popular nationwide and throughout all of Japan, what added value could Arod bring to the Sox network? I think none. >>

Yeah, he brought so much "value" to the Rangers they were willing to pay the Yankees $9mil per year to get rid of him.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll take ARod on my team any day. >>

That might make at least SOME sense, but the poor guy would have to take a "pay cut" to something like $24 million per.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    To his credit, Arod has in the past attempted to restructure his salary so the team would pay less, however the player's union got involved and he couldn't do it. For all his issues, he knows he has more money than he'll ever use.
  • Options
    All you have to know about AROD is this....

TEXAS couldnt wait to get rid of him, and even offered to pay $9 million a year, to have him off the team....

Nuff Said!
  • Options
    AROD is a 4 letter word.

Pig