Home Sports Talk
Options

Running Up The Score ... Why Is it Always The Offenses' Fault?

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
Great column by John Clayton of ESPN here about the Pats' 52-7 victory:

Running it up: Belichick, Pats take no prisoners

One of my favorite part's was where Clayton noted:

"That's why he …

• … kept Brady on the field for an 88-yard drive six minutes into the fourth quarter despite already leading 38-0. On that 14-play drive, the Patriots went for a fourth-and-1 at the Redskins' 7 and ordered a 35-yard bomb to Randy Moss.

• … went for a fourth-and-2 at the Redskins' 37 on the next possession while leading 45-0. Backup QB Matt Cassel hit Jabar Gaffney with a 21-yard pass. Two plays later, Cassel scrambled for a 15-yard touchdown run to open a 52-0 lead.

Asked why he would go for two fourth downs in a blowout, Belichick responded, "What do you want us to do, kick a field goal?"

This got me wondering, why is "running up the score" always the offenses' fault? Doesn't the defenses bear any "responsibility"? Don't want a team to run up the score? The defense could always try and stop the offense.

My favorite part? Where Clayton says: "Face it, folks, Belichick plans to lay waste to the NFL." Good.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Jets and the Commissioner made Bill mad...he's extracting revenge on everyone in his path.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Asked why he would go for two fourth downs in a blowout, Belichick responded, "What do you want us to do, kick a field goal?"

• Options
    Uhm, on 4th down, you're up by 45 and you're going for it? How about punting Billy Boy? How about a FG instead of going for it?

Classless, simply classless.
  • Options

<< <i>Uhm, on 4th down, you're up by 45 and you're going for it? How about punting Billy Boy? How about a FG instead of going for it?

Classless, simply classless. >>

BS. Punt from the Skins 37? And if they kick a FG, they still get accused of running up the score. What would make you happy -- Cassel running 60 yards backwards for a safety?

How about the Redskins stopping them on 4th down? Pathetic showing by one of the supposedly better NFC teams.
  • Options
    The Jets game in Foxboro should be fun. Has a QB ever thrown 10 TD passes in one game? image
  • Options
    Uhm no, kicking a FG would not get them accused of running up the score.

Why are people defending this guy? Already been busted for being a cheater, now he's disrespecting the game?

Lame.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    It's absolutely disgusting.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Love it, stick it to em Hoodie!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    In the pros, you are getting a paycheck. Offense's job is to score. Any questions?
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Its been so many years ago but I can remember our college coach saying to one of the whiners on the team who was complaining about the other team running up the score, can't quote exact verbage he used but something along the lines of, shut up and next game hit someone and knock them on their butt, then get up and hit them again on the next play, etc. In other words do your job on the field or quit acting like a candyazz. Maybe I am the only one but its embarrassing for a player to see a player complain about someone running up the score on you. Clayton I can understand he gets paid to say and print this kind of crap to suck in readers. This isn't little league with a ten run rule. Trust me if Washington had beaten NE soundly the same way these same players would be defending the score. At least Gibbs had enough class not to cry about it. Sounds to me like the whining Skins players thought this was a preseason game.

Watching the game I was just wondering if the skins had any heart left in them and maybe NE would be smart to sit Brady to avoid injury.
  • Options
    Hey, it's the NFL, "Any Given Sunday", bla bla . . . .

It's not like a Michigan playing an Appilachain State or something . . . . . .
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I think it's more insulting to display any type of "charity" to a team losing. Play the game. It's up to the other team to stop the score. I say "Rack 'em up, Bill". Scoring is alway more entertaining to watch. I hope to see the Pats put up Basketball-type scores when the Jets meet up with them later this year.
  • Options

<< <i>Uhm, on 4th down, you're up by 45 and you're going for it? How about punting Billy Boy? How about a FG instead of going for it?

Classless, simply classless. >>

Intentionally failing to play to the best of your ability is classless
    Tom
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    someone will eventually take a run at brady (if they can get to him) and hurt him, cuz right or wrong people don't like to get their nose rubbed in it. then Belichick will cry to the league.

it's really no wonder why he's been so good for so long in this league and has about 3 friends and no home life, he only thinks of himself.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    If you as a team don't like what the Pats are doing stop them.

This is the NFL. Play until the end. I love it when teams complain about other teams running up the score. It makes them look like a bunch on pansies.

"Oh, please don't run up the score on us. We can't stop you so you must stop yourself so we don't get embarrassed". Done in my best whiney voice.