Home Metal Detecting

Bottle cleaning

Does anyone have any good tips for cleaning bottles that have been in the ground for too many years?

While we talking about cleaning, how about tips for silver plated spoons goen green?
Be Still and Know

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mary,
    For the spoons, I would recommend any of the commercial silver cleaners available at the market or drugstore. For the bottles, hot water and Dawn dish soap. Cheers, RickO
  • Thanks for the tips Rick. I've tried dish detergent and hot water on the bottles, they're still filthy. One of them has roots inside that giving me a headache with no end. Would I be at risk of cracking them if I boiled them?
    Be Still and Know
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you start them with the water, at room temperature... they 'should' be ok... the glass does not take well to temperature shock. Also, I would only do a couple at a time. Good Luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Mary don't boil them!!

A few way's I have been told is either use bleach and warm water,CLR and water or there is
    this pool cleaning liquid with I believe hydrochloric acid in it that will help.
    I thin DD know's the best method.

HH,Tom
  • Mary;

Try Denture cleaner tablets... Also works great in a stained toilet image

For interior cleaning: use hot vineager & dry rice to loosen any crud..
  • Dry rice shook up in the bottle will do a whole lot of cleaning and not hurt the bottle.
  • You guys are just full of great ideas! I'm hoping to be able post pictures of two very nice bottles. I'm also hoping this will happen before the next blue moon. image
    Be Still and Know