Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

3/20/08 "Round up the Usual Suspects", Round 1 is over, got the baox today.

3/24/08: Got the box today. This tag is officially over. Thanks to everyone for an enjoyable tag!

3/21/08: Boom is done, coming home! We made some changes, so I'll update the list later today.

3/5/08: Oops! Going to Boom!

3/5/08: Box being shipped home.

2/26/08: BigJohnD has the box, and should be shipping next week. So, it looks like the box will be coming back to CA to the host, me. I plan on pulling some of the coins out, especially ones that I originally put in and are still there, and a couple of the "new" coins for me, and then putting in different coins for another round. Anybody up for Round 2?

2/26/08: Boom has passed on the box, so TC71 shipped to BigJohnD, who has received it.

2/19/08: TC71 is done, Boom - you are up!

2/9/08: Shipped to TC71

2/5/08: MorganHunter2 is complete, shipping to TC71

1/23/08: eyoung is done! Shipping to MorganHunter2

1/17/08: eyoung429 received the box

1/11/08: bstat1020 has shipped to eyoung429.

1/7/08" bstat1020 has received the box.

1/2/08: BRdude has shipped to bstat1020.

12/29/07: BRdude has made his selection, shipping next week.

12/27/07: BRDude has received the box.

12/16/07: Millertime has completed his trade, and will be shipping to BRDude tomorrow!

12/8/07: Millertime has the box, and needs a little extra time to recover. He should ship late next week.

11/25/07: Spligate has completed his turn, now shipping to Millertime. Updated box at end of thread.

11/24/07: Just got back from the Thanksgiving trip to the outlaws, slipgate and I are talking via pm.

11/17/07
Looks like the doc is down for the count for now. We'll miss him, and hope he can get in down the line. But for now, he is down for the count. We all wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

Hopefully, slipgate gets the box before Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to ya'll. Hope your turkeys are good, and for Boom, he has some good gator tail.

11/7/08

The guess the gold price contest is over, so here's the starting order for those who played. For those who did not play, you are listed in the order you signed up.

When your turn comes up, you must PM me within 48 hours after I post here that you are up. If you pass, you go to the bottom of the list for another shot.

The NY closing price today was $830.70, so here's the order:

1. slipgate (shipped 11/7, got the box 11/19, shipped 11/27
2. Millertime, at 2.14 (completed)
3. DocMortar at 3.86 (Dropped out for now due to injury - he's on the DL list)
4. BRdude at 10.70 (completed)
5. bstat at 14.80 (completed)
6. eyoung429 at 15.99 (completed)
7. Morganhunter (completed)
8. Cullenbryant (dropping for now)
9. TC71 (completed)
10. Boom (passed, now is taking last)
11. BigJohnD (completed-box in transit to BOOM)

Then back to the host - me!

Make sure you PM to the person above and below you on the list to double verify addresses.

====================

UPDATE #2 11/6/07: The list is final, and all values are now established.

Please read the tag rules and the legal stuff, and chime in with any questions. I worked to get a good mix of coins for ya'll to peruse, that is, to look at.

UPDATE 11/6/07: I have had some inquiries as to who wants to be first. Since TC hosted the last tag, I offerred it to him, and he graciously said he is wiling to be down the line. Since the shipping cost is "flat rate", it does not cost anymore to ship 20 miles or 2000 in the USA. So, in order to be fair, here's how we can determine who is first up: Determine the Kitco New York closing "bid" price of gold (on www.kitco.com) for tomorrow, November 7. Your guess must be posted by 9:00 am New York time tomorrow, November 7. The closest gets the box first! The runners up then get priority in calling for the box.

If the box gets depleted or full of junk silver, then I'll call for it back and restock the coins or to inspect what's in there, and only take out bullion. I will not take out any numismatic coins - but I will put in more to make it interesting to those down the line. Yes, I have held back some other nifty coins, and no, I will not tell you what they are!

You will all need to get a post office (for free, but somethimes they run out) "PRIORITY MAIL, FLAT RATE BOX" Dimensions 11 7/8 X 3 3/8 X 13 5/8 (the long skinny kind). It holds 3 PCGS blue boxes. I have packed the blue boxes inside of the PCGS cardboard shipping boxes, and padded these inside the box. It fits fine. This way, you just tape the inside cardboard shipping boxes (not the PCGS plastic boxes). You will also need the gunky paper tape for the outside box seams, but in this box, the taping is minimal if you all follow how I did it. You can get the tape from Staples. The cost to ship the box will be around $25.

So guess away!

Launch date to ship is Thursday, November 8!

========================================

OK, it looks like Boom and TC are not ready to host a tag, so I'll host one if there is enough interest from particpants in the Focus on Classics and Torino Cobra's tag. I'd like to keep this one to "the usual suspects" crew of these two tags for now. So, if you are interested, please chime in. How 'bout we call it the "Round up the usual suspects" tag, a line plagarized from the movie "Casablanca".

I have also pm'd some others. If you did not do these two tags and did not get a pm from me, no slight intended - shoot me a pm if I forgot about 'ya.

UPDATE 10/31/07: I would likely launch BEFORE Thanksgiving with the inital outbound shipment. Likely 40+ coins in a registered mail "flat rate" box. The tag takes about 1.5 weeks per member by giving everyone a weekend to make their choices and ship by Tuesday.

UPDATE 10/31/07: I'll try to keep my posts at the top of the thread to make it easier for ya'll to check up on me.

Responses so far from the usual suspects (tag participants):
1 MorganHunter2 (who is not hunting Morgans anymore!)
2 Cullenbryant (special invitee)
3 TorinoCobra71 (he's not really a turkey!)
4 Boom (and he's particular!)
5 Slipgate (who will slip Boom a Morgie or 2!)
6 DocMortar (no cast coins here!)
7 BigJohnD (in the Land of Lincoln)
8 eyoung429 (he's baaack)
9 Millertime (not no "Bud")
10 bstat1020 (A newbie)
11 BRdude(better late than never)

Update 3 11/2/07: Final list of coins:

Here is a group of ANACs Dollars that I cherried out of a 300 coin lot a year ago:
ANACS 1509884 1878-s ms61 Nice hints of toning on obv rims, very bag free, a few hits on the cheek. Undergraded IMHO. $50
ANACS 1510504 1879-s MS 62 Frost PL obverse, rev not PL but very clean. Blast white. $33
ANACS 1504267 1879-s ms 63 White $36
ANACS 1509891 1879-S MS 63 Flashy white $36
ANACS 1510509 1880-S MS 64 VAM-11 Hot 50 Very mark free and crackout candidate, grade may be limited due to average strike and lustre $50
ANACS 1510516 1883-0 MS-62 Flashy coin with hints of obv rim toning, nice "alligator" skin with good lustre, typical soft O mint strike, nifty die cracks through rev UNITED STATES, $30
ANACS 1497360 1888 ms-62 Lots of lustre, reverse toning at bottom, $31
ANACS 1515226 1889 MS-63 Hints of rim toning, alligator original skin, softer strike limits grade, $31
ANACS 1510550 1898-o ms-63. Toner. $36

PCGS 13856955 1878-8TF, VAM 14 "Chip in Ear", PCGS MS62. Flashy and very clean blast white, a real nice coin for the grade, I submitted hoping for a 63. Ash (VAM dealer and expert) offerred me $350.00 for it when it was a raw coin about a year ago, I was trying for a 63, but got a 62. It's PQ. So add a year and the PCGS slabbing fee, and I'll call it $410.

PCGS 08828769 1894-O VF25. Scratch thru obverse, but must have been ok for pcgs. $46 bid, discount to $40.

NGC 2506402-002 1880-S Morgan MS 63 killer reverse, but hit on lower eagle limits grade $36
NGC 1954500-041 1881-S Morgan MS 63 blast white and very nice for the grade $35
NGC 1830367-128 1885-O Morgan MS 63, toner reverse $35
NGC 1874447-007 1885-O Morgan MS 64, white $45
NGC 1833011-017 1921 Morgan MS 64, very lustrous, especially for a 21 Morgan $34

Type coins:
NGC 1874415-002 1913-D Buffalo MS63. Very nice toning and surfaces. $60

NGC 1937175-003 Seated Dollar 1844 XF45. *PIC POSTED BY SLIPGATE* This coin has stunning rainbow toning on the obverse rims, the reverse is russet. A low mintage issue. For full disclosure, I recently tried to cross it to PCGS and it did not cross. $750

Commems
PCGS 05592565 1935/34 Boone Commem MS66 Bid is $340, price at $323
NGC 2506083-005 1921 Alabama MS63. Coin has some verdigris, and is not PVC according to NGC. Bid is $350, less 10% is $315.

Widgets:
PCGS 10728804 1616 Mercury, MS63 FB. A nice toned example at bid, $32
PCGS 7465750 1945-D Mercury, MS-66, not FB, but about 3/4. $45
PCGS Sample Slab, 1964-D dime MS64, old green holder. Call it $13
PCGS 60156031 1947S Quarter MS 64 $15
PCGS 08683594 1967 Kennedy SMS MS66 $15
PCGS 10537193 1951-S Franklin MS63 FBL, A LucyBop seal of approval coin, but blast white. Price guide is $85, call it $55.

Raw coins:
1797 Half cent. Just a really nice coin, except that when tilted in the light, evidence of cleaning can be seen at the date. It's very hard to detect in a plastic holder. The coin also has some interesting lines in the rim, whcih according to EAC expert Bill Noyes, was likely post mint damage when the coin was relatively new, and the coin has worn with the rim. Something cool to see, and pictures were posted in the forum by eyoung awhile ago. Coin has lots of strong detail remaining, and would look great in a Dansco. Value at good "bid", $300.

1871 Seated dollar. *PIC POSTED BY SLIPGATE* A F-VF coin, with nice dirty color that may be hiding an old cleaning. The coin has a small rim bruise above the star to the lft of Liberty's head. This is a pleasing coin in hand, and would look good in a Dansco 7070. Value at $235 (Fine "ask")

1865 2 cent piece, circulated. $13

Stone Mountain. A very nice original piece that I grade AU58 bid $54

1888 Morgan toner, origin BOOM! $29

1923 Peace dollar. From an original roll that I had to open, you also get the original Federal wrapper. This coin has several cool oberse die cracks, and is obviously original material. $75, priced over bid but cool coin and includes it's wrapper.

Lot of 100 very nice circulated Indian Cents. No key dates. No cull coins, but a couple may have some minor nicks and cuts. Overall, a nice group. Lot (100 coins) is $110 (greysheet bid), or take any singles you want at $1.50 each.

A wannabe 1913-S Type 2 (the expensive one) Buffalo nickel. I submitted to PCGS in hopes of the coveted PO-1 grade, retured as "Refund No Service". You decide. $15

3 coin set 1949PDS Frankies, circulated $20

1938-D Walker. Nice VG Coin at greysheet bid of $100

1938-D Walker. Strong VG, but does have some faint scratches on obv seen under 5X. Greysheet VG bid at $100.

RULES: PLEASE READ! You should contact me if you have any questions.

VALUATION:
Values are established at approximate wholesale levels, not retail:
1. It will cost less to insure the box. All shipping MUST be registered mail, and insured for a wholesale value that I will determine using the greysheet as a baseline.
2. Some coins have larger wholesale to Price Guide spreads than others. If we have to sell, we would usually get wholesale.
3. Some coins will get a PQ premium (like my seated dollar), and others will get a slow market valuation discount (like my MS66 Boone Commem).
4. Some coins are just plain slow right now, like commems and walkers. Others are "hot", like PCGS graded bust material, PCGS graded southern gold.
5. This will provide equity for anyone who wants to swap in junk silver, common slabbed gold widgets, and coins that are as liquid as cash. You also have the option of buying coins from the tag for the cash value, or cash + your coins.
6. Some coins are just not very marketable, and the "retail" levels are not at all reflective as to what could be obtained on sale to a dealer. Examples: Proof 1960's - 1970's coins, several of the peace dollars, modern commems.
7. When new coins come in, they will receive a value to equal the coins taken out. So, if 4 coins go out valued at $800, and 3 coins go in, the total value of the 3 will be set at $800.

PURCHASE AND JUNK SILVER TRADE OPTION:
You may purchase any coins in the tag for the stated prices. You may also exchange 90% silver at the Kitco closing bid X .67. For example, at $14.50 silver, your 90% silver coins are worth $9.715 face value ($14.50 X .67 = 9.715). 40% silver halves, Canadian silver, etc can also be exchanged. PM me for details if interested.

SHIPPING, CUSTODY AND LOSS:
The wholesale value of the box is $3,642.00. You are fully responsible for the care and custody of the coins in your possession. If the coins are lost or stolen, you will have to reimburse for the full predetermined value of the box, $3,642.00, so, please be careful! The coins will be shipped REGISTERED and INSURED mail in a NEW, USPS FLAT RATE BOX, no exceptions. You can get free boxes from your PO or you can order them for free at the PO website. Do NOT ship "certified", and do NOT use UPS, Fed Ex, etc. These services do NOT over losses to coins! For those who have not shipped registered mail, you will need to get the paper tape and seal all edges of the box so the clerk can stamp each tape line. If you use the flat rate box, it's not too bad. The cost to ship registered and insure a $3642 flat rate box is $24.60 anywhere in the 48 USA.

TURNAROUND:
The deadline to ship the box is Tuesday if you get it by the previous Friday. This gives you a weekend to evaluate and to get approval from the host. If there is a mail delay, or you need additional time, please contact me asap for a one week extension.

TRADES:
All coins going in and out must be approved via private message by me. All of us have traded before, and I'll be reasonable.

LEGAL:
I hate to have to post this, and I trust that this would not be the case with this group: In the event that someone does not ship the box, or loses or absconds with the coins, that person is fully and legally responsibile to make restitiution to me for the full stated value of the box, which is $3,642.00, plus any legal and other reasonable costs incurred to collect. Any legal actions or legal disputes will be governed by California law, with any legal action taking place in California, unless the law dictates otherwise. All participants warrant that they are of legal age to make a contract.

HOLD ONTO THE COINS YOU TAKE UNTIL THE TAG IS OVER!
The tag will NOT be over and completed until I get the box back, and approve all coins put in it. For coins put in and taken before the box gets to me, they are automatically approved. This rule is for my protection - say if a coin is bad in some way, I want to be able to return it to the person who put it in. I would only do this in an extreme situation - counterfeit, whizzed, or other "bad" coin put in. I am not going to invoke it for low value or stuff close to melt value, etc.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• Options
    Now this could get eenteresteeng..

I think I shall give it a stab....
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    Im in. It will be nice to see this TAG thing from the other side of the fence......

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Put me in Coach (tentatively, till particulars are dicussed)image
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    I have not been in on previous tags but I am interested. I am in if you will have me.

PM sent

Bstat
  • Options

<< <i>Put me in Coach (tentatively, till particulars are dicussed) >>

same here, it's been a while and time to get in on another. As long
    as what i've got fits in with the details of the tag.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I'm in! I've got some more of those exteremely high quality Morgans that Boom seemed to like!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    JB,
    Please add me to your list.
    Doc
  • Options
    BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    If theres room, I'd love to get in.
  • Options
    I guess you have to know the secret password. image

New England Clam Cowder? Is that the white or the red?image
  • Options
    By the way, claychaser, I personally vouch for bstat1020. He's good as Gold.

Pssst, Brian! You still have my address, right? imageimage
  • Options
    Can I get in now that I am mobile once more????
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    If you'll have me count me in.

Millertime
  • Options

Thanks for the comment Boom! Anybody else care to vouch for me to get me entered. All up to claychaser in the end.image
  • Options

<< <i>image

Thanks for the comment Boom! Anybody else care to vouch for me to get me entered. All up to claychaser in the end.image >>

I had a very successful swap with bstat1020 once. He has my vote!

TC71

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    New stuff added, we have 10. Please see 1st post.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Claychaser,

Thank you for considering me for your tag. And thanks to those who vouched for me. It will be a great tag!!

Thanks again,

Bstat
  • Options
    There are a couple of listed coins that I could really use! I'll take the box as soon as I can get it.
  • Options
    If Slippergate wants the box first, that is cool by me, I wanted to wait a little while anyways.

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    Almost ready to ship - anybody ready now?

I added some more coins today, and have a couple to go.

• Options
    Im a newbie, but what is a "TAG'?....Sounds almost like coins on approval between board members.
  • Options
    Hi gecko,

It's something like an approval, but based more on swapping coins instead of buying them. The host (me), gets about 40 or so coins together and ships them to the first person. A swap is arranged by private message, or a "pm", and then that person ships the box on to the next person, and it finally ends back with the host.

It's nice to see the coins you are interested in in person and to cherry pick the box. The host can get rid of duplicates in his collection.

Given the value in the box, usually the host will insist on long time forumites with pre-approved references to ensure that he gets his coins back. If this minterests you, you should participate in some coin swaps to get yourself established in the "circle of trust".

• Options
    Kitco New York closing "bid" price of gold (on www.kitco.com) for tomorrow, November 7 will be $834.56
  • Options
    Kitco New York closing "bid" price of gold for tomorrow, November 7 will be $814.71
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

• Options
    Hey, let's get this show on the road. I'd like to take the box either after slipgate or eyoung 429, if I had my druthers.

As previously stated, I'll declare after I see what goes OUT and what gets put IN the box.

I have ZERO problem with anyone on this Crew.

Ahhh, except for MAYBE one guy. image

• Options

<< <i>Hey, let's get this show on the road. I'd like to take the box either after slipgate or eyoung 429, if I had my druthers.

As previously stated, I'll declare after I see what goes OUT and what gets put IN the box.

I have ZERO problem with anyone on this Crew.

Ahhh, except for MAYBE one guy. image

image >>

Hey! Are you reffering to me? TORINOCOBRA71?!?!?!? imageimageimage

"I know better"

TC71

• Options
    I could've bet the House on you. imageimage
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Kitco gold, $820 tomorrowimage Doesn't really matter to me the order, I'll take it or wait, either wayimageimageimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    Final list and values completed, and rules finalized. Please see 1st post.

Will determine 1st up tomorrow, and ship Thursday AM!

• Options
    $832.57
  • Options
    Gold price entry closed! OK, do we let the 6:01 post stand? Judges will cut the newbie a break!image

• Options
    Let the newbie have 1st crack at it.

I misseed the posting of gold thingy, my bad.

• Options
    MORGANHUNTER2,

Thank you very much, but I am going to defer the box until some of those Morgans are out of there.

Thanks,

Brian
  • Options
    I'll take any order as long as most of the Morgies are still there.

• Options
  • Options
    I would like whoever hosts the next tag to concider adding my name to the list.
    I haven't been part of a tag yet, but would like to give it a try.

Paul
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    Hi Paul,

The best way to get started is to do a few of Boom's coin swaps to get yourself established. Having good con dealer references is helpful too.

• Options
    Shipped to slipgate today, registered/insured value $3,642.00. RA 383871655US.

Millertime - be sure to pm slipgate with your info!

• Options

<< <i>Shipped to slipgate today, registered/insured value $3,642.00. RA 383871655US.

Millertime - be sure to pm slipgate with your info! >>

THIS TAG IS ON, BABY!!!!

imageimage

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    very nice, this is gonna be a good'n.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Paul,

The best way to get started is to do a few of Boom's coin swaps to get yourself established. Having good con dealer references is helpful too. >>

True,

The Halloween swap is only my third, and only if you count my original with Boom. Not enough to have swapped with the "Tag" group.

I can wait. image

PS.

So whos the biggest con here? I want to get on his good side. image
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    ....still waiting....image
  • Options

<< <i>....still waiting....image >>

as well you should wait for good things WILL come to you.

Besides the Postal people need a day off as well- keeps em from going nutzo in a crowded theatre
  • Options

<< <i>

Besides the Postal people need a day off as well- keeps em from going nutzo in a crowded theatre >>

You seem to be posting ALOT from work for a holiday......

TC71

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Besides the Postal people need a day off as well- keeps em from going nutzo in a crowded theatre >>

You seem to be posting ALOT from work for a holiday......

TC71 >>

That's cuz there is nobody working but the endentured slaves ( salary) and since I have my own office with a view of the valley- I can play alllll day long.

Well I actually left at 12:30 and went huntin for a new fishin pole and reel for some deep salt that I might do next weekend- mebbe.
    got the reel, but not the pole yet.
  • Options
    Hey slip, did the Pony Express arrive yet?

• Options
    claychaser I am the wife of docmorter. He is in the hospital. He can not particpate
  • Options
    DocMortar and/or wife,

I hope all is well, and we will keep you in our thoughts!

Give us an update when you can.