Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My new Bar Kochba coin!

I think this one barely circulated if at all before being lost (or put away?) for centuries.

I plan on bringing this for slabbing at ICG. This is the nicest detailed Bar Kochba (Hendin 736) I've ever personally seen. Most are worn or poorly struck. The centering is fantastic on this one. You can clearly see the vine leaf ribbing and all tree details. The only this that's a bummer is that most of the letters for "Jerusalem" didn't make it on this planchet. Oh well, I guess I can't have everything.

imageimage

Comments

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is superb!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Good catch! That's a really nice example. image
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    For the type, that is just amazing!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Excellent indeed! image

... as a side note, it really is a great thing we have this forum. Folks who collect these typically crusty coins can really scare people when we talk like this... I was similarly excited over a piece I have--much better condition than typical. Soon as I pulled out what I was talking about I got some really odd looks. Well, I thought it was a stellar coin. To them, it was really neat but still cruddy looking. image
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    ICG just called me....it graded EF40! I'm very satisfied with it in that holder (although I think it might be a 45). This was one very fortunate pick up.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The folks over at FORVM don't seem to be sharing your enthusiasm for ICG, or the concept of slabbing ancient coins generally.

Set phasers to "flame"! image
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could see it, but I do most of my webcrawling from work, and our company's server blocks Photobucket, so half the coin pix posted around here are red-X for me when I view them from work. image

I just added a milestone ancient to my own collection, as it happens. image

My Roman coin can oppress your Jewish coin, so nyah nyah. You're the feisty rebel, I'm the Evil Empire. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.