Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cleaning coins from a leather pouch?

drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
Is there any safe way to clean some mint state coins covered in debri from storage in a degarded/rotted leather coin pouch? Thanks,Steve

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    GENTLY take a q-tip and dip it in acetone, and run the q-tip over the surface of the coin. I had to do this with my grandfather's coins he got while he was in Europe in WWII.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I would just soak the coins in acetone. Change the acetone as it gets dirty. Hopefully, a Q-tip may not be needed. Circulated coins will probably not be damaged with a gentle acetone saturated Q-tip treatment.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    I posted similar results a few months ago. All I can say is soak on acetone, acetone will never harm your coins so soak for days if needed. The coins in the post below soaked for 3 days and I changed the acetone once in the middle and it worked great.

Remember to do it in a well ventilated area, only in a glass container and cover well so it will not evaporate. Again it will not harm coins, so let it soak and change the acetone when needed.

Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    Daniel Carr posted an explination about the leather pouch storage that said

"Coins stored in leather for a LONG time will develop a green wax-like coating which is not harmful to the surface of the coin.
    The green wax will come off readily in most solvents - even weaker solvents like "Goo Gone" and motor oil will take it completely off."
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember to do it in a well ventilated area, only in a glass container and cover well so it will not evaporate. Again it will not harm coins, so let it soak and change the acetone when needed.

I've always agreed with the idea that acetone won't harm coins, but that's because I have done little with copper coins. I just bought a 1807 1/2 cent in Fine+ condition that I saw the dealer break out of an old "coinmaster" album in a collection he had just bought. <NOTE: These old albums can be a PVC producer that will harm your coins in the long term>. I bought it very reasonable, as I did see a little green on the coin. I also bought a Bust half (VF 1832) from that same album and saw no evidence of PVC.

When I got home, I used the Q tip method on the Bust Half and the tips turned green, indicating that PVC was present and now taken care of. Since the 1/2 cent actually showed some green, I put it in a small container of acetone for a minute or two. When I retreived it, the fact that there was an old light cleaning became obvious as the coin had lightened up in coloration and isn't as attractive as it once was. I should have used the Q tip method to get the PVC off and not dipped it in acetone.

Just a heads up on acetone and copper.....live and learn I guess! For the money, the 1/2 cent is still a nice coin, but I wish I hadn't messed with it the way I did.
    Best to all,
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since the 1/2 cent actually showed some green, I put it in a small container of acetone for a minute or two. When I retreived it, the fact that there was an old light cleaning became obvious as the coin had lightened up in coloration and isn't as attractive as it once was. I should have used the Q tip method to get the PVC off and not dipped it in acetone. >>

Suggest wraping it in a Taco Bell napkin and then putting it in a warm spot in your home to let it retone naturally. Can't hurt to try.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    The acetone will not lighten your coins, only remove organic material on the coins. If your coin lightened up it was becasue there was something organic on it that covered the old cleaning. Maybe smoke or ?
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acetone will NOT damage coins... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leather has a lot of sulfides/sulfates that can corrode the surface of the coin and act much differently than the chloride oxidative portion of PVCs that have been discussed above.

Treatment should still be the same with acetone and possibly rubbing alcohol. The Q-tip is a good instrument but should not be rubbed, only dabbed on the surface of the coin. It is the rub that causes mini-hairlines. MS 70 or other organic solvents probably do have a very mild acid and a slightly different solvent quality than the acetone or alcohol. These should be gently applied with same Q-tip and then removed with gentle dish detergent and rinsed liberally with water and tamped dry with clean white cotton towel.

These should be considered when treating the coin.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    I've seen a guy use ammonia on old copper. Made me cringe but hey......anyways he said it toned the copper back to the lovely brown it once was...just set over a bowl so the vapors get at it. He also used the ammonia to remove dirt and grime. After a few minutes his yellow ammonia had turned green. It seemed to work, but then again it was not that great of a copper trinket anyways....just an old 1793 (I think) George Washington campaign button.

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making new discoveries" -A.A. Milne
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The acetone will not lighten your coins, only remove organic material on the coins. If your coin lightened up it was becasue there was something organic on it that covered the old cleaning. Maybe smoke or ? >>

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Remember to do it in a well ventilated area, only in a glass container and cover well so it will not evaporate. Again it will not harm coins, so let it soak and change the acetone when needed. >>

...........and keep it away from sparks or flames since it's highly flamable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what Firemarshall Hall wroteimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    For those that keep insisting that acetone will not harm copper, take a proof cent that has no haze or any other surface problem and dip it. I've been there and done that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file