Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So do any of you collect POGS?

Well I made it to the land of sand and I realized, hey there is another series of POGS out here! So, I will do what i can to aquire the 2007 series for my collection (There are still some in circulation as far back as 2004 from what I have seen already).

So this has two parts, I made it safe and sound to my destination, and I'm looking to see if anyone collects the POGS, I'll keep my extras for whoever.

Hope all is well back on the boards, I'll keep in touch as much as I can,
Ray

Comments

• Options
    POGS? I thought that fad died years ago, they are still around?
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    is that those round cardboard things

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    What are you talking about?
  • Options
    POGS are hot. Are they grading them yet?image
    Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. - General George S. Patton
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect them half-heartedly.

If they are related to one of my specialties they are added to
    my collection but not otherwise.

Certainly the pogs used as US currency in Iraq are of keen in-
    terest to me.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    you know.. Professional Original Grading Sertifiers
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    At first I was thinking this was another fly-by-night fourth-world slabber, until I remembered those faddish things a few years back.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    http://www.badfads.com/pages/collectibles/pogs.html

the first time i saw a pog it reminded me of the cap on an old
    glass milk bottle.

interestingly enough, that is exactly how they started.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    What, you all don't know that they don't use change over here? They give us POGS as money in Iraq and Afghanistan. Here check out this site to see what they look like.

As any year/currency, they are dated and there is a set veriation of the 5 cent, the 10 cent and the 25 cent POGS. I have found this year there are some with movement (Hold it in two fingers and move it abck and forth to see the picture move). The coolest one I have seen was a memorial of the WTC's with the beams of light that moves... I don't haveone yet image

I'm trying to get some 2X2 page holders to store them in (They are soft enough to protect them, and able to see them on both sides). Once I know which doubles I have I'll let you all know.

Let me know who is interested,
    Ray
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Milhouse van Houten collects pogs.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spoon does.

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Hey Ray

My nephew goes nuts over them things. A nieghborhood friend was over in Iraq for 2 years, and when she came home for a holiday visit she brought him one. Seeing as she was going back, she asked him if he wanted some more, which he said yes. He asked just about every other day when she would be returning (which really drove everyone nuts, kinda like "are we there yet?") anyhow, when she returned, she had to break his little heart, because the bag she brought back with her had disappeared in transit.

to this day, he still asks her if she found them yet.

keep your head down while your over there, and come back safeimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I will get you something on your wish list for one of each denomination of your POGS.

That is pretty neat. When I was in, the only time I used scrip was in boot camp. I kept some then. We also had scrip at the base bar for a while.

I love stuff like this - I have long considered expanding the personal scrip collection I have.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear you made it safely... now continue to be safe. My question... do they have Challenge Coins?? I have a couple from Iraq, but would like more... and would pay for them. Thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    My son used to play and collect POGS back in the mid 90's! He had a bunch of them but sadly none have survived hisd teen or young adult years!

I do not collect them but do recall them.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Milhouse van Houten collects pogs. >>

they're POGS Bart!

with Alf on them

ALF !

know what you don't know.

hi, i'm tom.

i do not doctor coins like some who post in here.

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So do any of you collect POGS >>

Never heard of 'em. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    He's referring to AAFES pogs--cardboard coins used in place of nickels, dimes and quarters at US military stores in deployed regions--essentially the next generation of MPCs. They're used to cut back on shipping weight, cardboard being lighter than clad coinage.

For more info check out my website on AAFES pogs. I'm a little behind on the galleries, but I do have a bit more info than the other sites on pogs. (The one by DesertVets that Ray linked to is spam.. they seem to have outright stolen the images from aafespogs.com and added a hyphen to the URL.)

For anyone interested, I do have quite a few extras right now. I'll do up a list and post in BST. I'm sure I can give you guys better prices than you'd find on ebay image
  • Options
    Hey Ray!

Glad to hear you're safe and thanks for checking in.

John

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    Hello -Preussen and to all the other collectors on this link regarding POGS !!!

I have been collecting POGS since 2006. I have one complete set and working on completing 2 more sets for my 3 daughters. ! 497 different Pogs. There are 15 different Printings ranging from Undated,2003 to 2011 ... There are 135 - 5 cent Pogs,180 - 10 cent pogs and 182-25 cent Pogs. There are OIF < OEF and OND Pogs ... These are the different operations that were conducted while we were over there. There are holgrams, lenticular pogs as well .. There is something for everyone. These are Gift certificates and can be used world wide and any AAFES Establisment. Once they are used at the AAFES facility State SIDE, they are destroyed.

I have seen some questions regarding Grading of the POGS.. There are a few publications out there that describe conditions, however, at this point its a matter of each persons judgement.

As far as mintage levels. AAFES Of Dallas has not released that info. It has been said that there are some POGS that have a limited mintage of 50,000.

If you are interested in putting together a set, Let me know.Please PM me at Armysgti@yahoo.com .. It seems as if this link has died since the last posting in 2007.

Best of luck in your search...

Army Strong,
    Tracy
    Ret SFC Ibberson
    USARMY
    Army Strong
    ~ T E A M = Together Everyone Achieves More ~
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of those who have not wore the uniform are not familiar with the POGS that you referring to. The last ones a accumulated (unintentionally) were 2009 series along with a few 05, 05B, 06A,07. I even have a B2 (apparently) flying through the St Louis Arch motion POG that I found in my A-3 bag.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. I agree with you in regards to those that would know about POGS.. would be those that have worn the Uniform. Like you , I have spent 20 plus years active duty and now work DOD Supporting our armed forces and never retired... Would be very interested in knowing what Pogs you may have. I need about 33 to complete set 2 and about 117 to complete set 3. If Interested , I could help you put together a set if you were looking to do that. Upon completion of my 3 sets , the rest of my poG Proceeds will be donated to the Wounded warrior Fund.

Appreciate the reply....

Tracy

Email armysgti@yahoo.com
    Army Strong
  • Options
    RAY !!! Are you out there ???? This is Tracy .... And Yes , I collect pogs !!! Lets chat ! I need about 40 to finish my second set and 117 to complete my third set... Can you assist ????

Tracy

Ret SFC Ibberson
    US ARMY
    Army Strong
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try sending a PM and you need to turn on your PM.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Leo,
    New to the site here. I have went in and updated my profile. My email is armysgti@yahoo.com ... Cant determine on how to send you a PM from this site ....

Tracy
    Army Strong
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have a ton of my kids' POGS from the late 1980's to early 1990's. I didn't know people still collected them and had no idea they are worth anything.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    Ms Penny Lady ....

I am referring to the AAFES POGS ! The POGS in question, are used by AAFES in locations such as Iraq and Afghanistan. They're meant to replace coins, so the military saves money on shipping coin currency. There are over 15 different printings. 497 Different Pogs .... if you go to Aafespogs.com you can see all the different sets...

Thanks for the read !

Tracy
    Army Strong
  • Options
    Attached is a photo of the Aafes Pogs.

Thanks for the read.

armysgti@yahoo.com if you would like more info.

Tracy
    Army Strong
  • Options
    POGS or Pogues?

The Irish Rover
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ms Penny Lady ....

I am referring to the AAFES POGS ! The POGS in question, are used by AAFES in locations such as Iraq and Afghanistan. They're meant to replace coins, so the military saves money on shipping coin currency. There are over 15 different printings. 497 Different Pogs .... if you go to Aafespogs.com you can see all the different sets...

Thanks for the read !

Tracy >>

Oh my, too funny! My bad - thanks for the clarification!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    armysgtiarmysgti Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Hey Ray ! Still here ???? :Lets chat some time regarding POGS... Tracy
    Army Strong
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I know this is an old thread but the website no longer works. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray is still here... more active on the Precious Metals forum.... PM him..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    armysgtiarmysgti Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Thanks Ricko
    Army Strong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file