Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found my second civil war token of the year...

Went back to the park where I found the 1806 George III half penny last December, a little bit warmer today. Guess I missed a few signals back then and probably not ten feet from where I found the 1806 dug an 1863 civil war token, my second of the year, as it came from the ground:

imageimage

And after a quick dip in hot grease/ice water bath:

imageimage

Not sure what "Shoot him on the Spoot" means on reverse center, unless they were just trying to be politically correct image

Comments

• Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    That is really cool. What state are you in Kevin? And whats the history of the area in which your detecting?
  • Options
    thats a cool find. i've only dug 1 in 20 some years. i consider it one of my favorite finds.
    found my token here's the scan.
  • Options
    That's a dix patriotic civil war token. Spot was misspelled spoot on the die. There are also varieties with the correct spelling.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is really cool. What state are you in Kevin? And whats the history of the area in which your detecting? >>

I am in upstate NY along the Canadian border, the park is in Ogdensburg which was a launching point for one of the Fenian raids after the civil war, I believe the other was in Vermont border area. Short story- a bunch of drunk Irish civil war veterans sought to capture Canada and trade it for Ireland- or so the story goes. Could this be related? who knows?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool find... I love the history of pieces we find.... Thanks for sharing... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    very cool....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Sweet find Kevin,I like the token find's most.

HH,Tom