Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you do in this situation?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Some of the difficulty I experienced in my younger days was that typical situation where local dealers would take my hard earned money from mowing lawns (back in the days when kids actually did that) and sell me trash. Sure I studied the few books available back then but the older and wiser dealer could easily convince my young mind and who was I to question him. The few times I have been to shows I get that same feeling of standing there in a room of vultures.

Now I know that or at least hope that the majority of dealers are very honest and I have several that I buy from and they have always been great to work with. But it's that bad banana that ruins the bunch and I think they turn a lot of new collectors off because it's buyer beware in a big way. With that said, I don't think I would say anything to the buyer or the seller but I think I would question my relationship with the seller. image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in a situation like that. I don't say anything. My dealer did the right thing. A lady walked in with a gold 1 oz panda and she had NO idea what it was worth. He gave her spot +$5.00 for it.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been in a situation like that. I don't say anything. My dealer did the right thing. A lady walked in with a gold 1 oz panda and she had NO idea what it was worth. He gave her spot +$5.00 for it. >>

What would he have paid if you weren't there watching him? image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416

<< <i> In the OP case, since he has known the dealer for years then I would talk to the dealer in private after the customer left. Something like "weren't those morgans you sold graded a little optomisticly?" and see what he says. --jerry >>

Jerry,

Great point, If you are going to say something I think this is a much better approach.
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    I think one strong choice which addresses the concerns of everyone concerned would be to politely interject with a "fellow collector's" opinion on purchases of that nature by softly upselling the potential customer into a similar but graded or higher grade piece(ie. don't criticize the pieces in question, but sell the strengths of other options). If he doesn't go for it, at least you tried and your involvement will appear relatively innocuous, and may possibly be appreciated for the upselling. If he does bite, you, the customer, and your dealer are likely to be as satisfied as you could hope for given the circumstances. After the customer leaves, how you broach the subject, if at all, would be completely dependent on your relationship with the dealer.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    If you think the dealer was selling them knowingly misrepresented, I would have said something immediately.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    I would have done nothing in front of the dealer. It happens ALL the time. If I saw the person later on and felt comfortable I may mention it. After all, its year opinion against his. IMHO
  • Options
    OMG almost fell of my chair when I read some of the comments posted by other dealers, and forum members.

The plot thickens indeed, as dealer admit to dishonesty, and unethical practices.
    With all the fuss, and hype about the representation of coins, wile other dealer/members condone this action openly.

You wonder why these dogs are walking the tight rope, between ethics, and deception. Defending there every action, and words.
    Do you really believe eBay should be policed, because some newbie seller lacks the experience to do the deception dance as well as the pros?

I think the ebay police should stick to finding counterfeits rather than trying to pretend they want to save the newbie collectors money, after all TPG caused this by the industrialization of the hobby, wile all along its been done like this for many, many years.

Buyer beware indeed, dogs.

Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options

<< <i>Ah, what the heck. Call it like you see 'em and tell the poor guy he's getting ripped. Consumer protection has to start somewhere.

roadrunner >>

Thats exactly what I would have done.
    My momma talka to me try to tell me how to live, da,da,da,don,don, but I dont listen to her cause my head is like a sieve, da dada dadada, don don da.
    Humblepie

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many pages back did you have to dig for this?
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many pages back did you have to dig for this? >>

Sounds like Ahooka is back, this is the same kind of crap he was stirring before. You will notice his profile is private (surprise, surprise) alread has 168 post this month. It would be interesting if CU ever went to a members only forum.
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

Pages? I did a search on ethics.
    Humblepie

• Options

<< <i>

Sounds like Ahooka is back, this is the same kind of crap he was stirring before. You will notice his profile is private (surprise, surprise) alread has 168 post this month. It would be interesting if CU ever went to a members only forum. >>

So now its time to Bash me for posting my opinion? I try to be as respectful as I can be to other members here.

Don't label me, because I touched on a nerve.
    Humblepie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file