Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is Ebay discriminating against other certification companies?

Should Ebay stop other certification and grading companies from the main titles? Is it politics or is just a industry standard that coins should be graded like top major ones? Remember that grading is an "Opinion" and Certification is a "Guaranty". Some don't do both.image

Comments

• I think it is more of an industry standard issue. Although there may be some fairly reputable companies that may have been left out, limiting the number became neccessary. There were simply to many unreputable slabs showing up on ebay that were simply were not grading realistically.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    There are a few good ones that are recognized by the Numismatic world as being independent and then there are many that people start in their garage to grade their own coins with vastly inflated grades. eBay has banned the latter which is very good for the coin world.

Cheers, B
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ones allowed by eBay are the ones commonly listed as acceptable in threads on these boards and ATS.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The ones allowed by eBay are the ones commonly listed as acceptable in threads on these boards and ATS. >>

I draw a distinction between "acceptable" and "top tier." I for one would think SEGS and perhaps PCI would be legitimate services that shouldn't be lumped in with the third-world crap slabbers even as I wouldn't consider them in the top tier.

• << <i>

<< <i>The ones allowed by eBay are the ones commonly listed as acceptable in threads on these boards and ATS. >>

I draw a distinction between "acceptable" and "top tier." I for one would think SEGS and perhaps PCI would be legitimate services that shouldn't be lumped in with the third-world crap slabbers even as I wouldn't consider them in the top tier. >>

Same thoughts! How did ICG become top tier and PCI did not? I have seen some great PCI coins and actually had some to upgrade when sent to PCGS. Of course I broke them out first.image
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was surprised when PCI was left out. I've had a few nice PCI coins in my day. SEGS, however, is terrible in my opinion.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I've seen here, the support for SEGS and PCI seems to be sporadic with as many people saying they shouldn't be listed as they should.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Same thoughts! How did ICG become top tier and PCI did not? I have seen some great PCI coins and actually had some to upgrade when sent to PCGS. Of course I broke them out first.image >>

This is because there are, in some sense, several PCIs. The first PCI had the old green labels with ten-digit serial numbers, and these are (or have been) seen as very conservative, just about on par with PCGS or NGC. PCI went through some changes after that and became far looser.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How did ICG become top tier and PCI did not? >>

Because ICG offers a guarantee, and PCI does not.

Russ, NCNE

• << <i>There are a few good ones that are recognized by the Numismatic world as being independent and then there are many that people start in their garage to grade their own coins with vastly inflated grades. eBay has banned the latter which is very good for the coin world.

Cheers, B >>

How did the other major companies start? Yes, there are scammers and some are just trying to start a grading company.
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    How did the other major companies start? Yes, there are scammers and some are just trying to start a grading company. >>

Indeed...

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I draw a distinction between "acceptable" and "top tier." I for one would think SEGS and perhaps PCI would be legitimate services that shouldn't be lumped in with the third-world crap slabbers even as I wouldn't consider them in the top tier. >>

SEGS and PCI consistently overgrade coins by at least 2 points for MS coins and one grade for circ coins. Hence they are NOT "acceptable", and it was appropriate for eBay to exclude them. PCI/SEGS also frequently holder problems coins as no problem coins.

The ebay sellers who whined are the ones who play the "white collar overgrading" games such as having an MS63 coin graded MS65 by PCI, and selling for MS64 money.

<< <i>

<< <i>
    How did the other major companies start? Yes, there are scammers and some are just trying to start a grading company. >>

Indeed...

image >>

Yeah, and the difference here is that David Hall graded coins properly. None of the current "start-ups" are even close to grading coins properly.
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    The sellers of the third tier slabs really did themselves in on ebay by quoting PCGS price-guide prices for non-PCGS certified coins. Yes, they are graded to a different standard and hence shouldn't have been quoting the PCGS price guide.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with the market place is always the same. Just because a crook opens a legitimate business doesn't legitimize the crook, it only ensures he pays his dues to the man. (in this case, it's to the woman) Hi Meg image
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Because ICG offers a guarantee, and PCI does not. >>

That's the reason plus the sellers that used the PCGS price guide on the junk slabbed coins. That price guide is based on PCGS standards and guarantee. If the other slabbers offered guarantees and made price guides based on their standards then they could be accepted for what they are.
    Ed

• << <i>

<< <i>

Indeed...

image >>

POOF!!!!

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Indeed...

image >>

POOF!!!! >>

Why? That coin is accurately graded, as were almost all coins "slabbed" by DH before PCGS started.
  • Oh my, someone's still bitter about eBay's policy change with him in mindimage
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to see an accurately graded: SGS, ANI, NTC, NNC coin..........have you? If so, I sure would like to see a scan for us to review....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    just because the big 4 guarantee their product

does NOT mean they have to admit they made a mistake and cough up on their error

I paid $40 to find out the 3rd or 4th's guarantee is somewhat meaningless

• " Is Ebay discriminating against other certification companies?"

No more than the KACKALATORS are!
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Oh my, someone's still bitter about eBay's policy change with him in mindimage >>

yup, his gravy train has left the station so we have to continue to hear him whine about it.
  • I have seen plenty of well graded NNC ( the common's mostly, they are more giving for the keys ). The problem with NNC is they don't penalize for "light cleaning" and many people cry when the coins they bought for low end money don't cross to high end slabs. One of my best looking coins came out of a NNC slab. it's a Frosty 1927-d peace with a slight cameo on the obverse and a monster strike that most people would not think twice if they saw it in a pcgs or ngc 64 holder. The catch; some one long ago used a cloth and left some light sweeping hairlines in front of her face. it takes a strong light and a 5x loop to really see them and it would never make it to a top slab but it looks stunning in a dansco. I paid ms 61 money for it ( it is that nice) and knew what I was getting, the problem is the people out there who know the pecking order and love the discount but get sullen when they can't "flip it" to pcgs and make a profit or the dealer who as it was said a post or two ago take a nice anacs MS60 Det. and go get a 62-5 grade and want pcgs money. My point is thats the people not the slab. NNC is about the same as segs in my book and is NO(!!!!!!) sgs or the homemade crap. plenty of cleaned segs coins out there and gasp there are some ?able coins in the top slabs as well. They will miss more as they don't have the resources that pcgs has. I think slabs like anacs, segs, icg, and NNC offer the collector not the investor the chance to get nice, real but not always perfect coins at a discount from the cream of the crop stuff. If you filled any 20th Cen series dansco with NNC coins you would have a nice collection you could be proud of at a good price. Isn't that the point? You get what you pay for and if every one drank 25 year old scotch, Jack Daniels would be out lawed on e-bay.
  • It is really unfortunate and truly tragic when people bring crap slabs to my table as they did in Atlanta recently.
    When I inform that my grade for their ms 65 coins are XF-AU and cleaned, they become either furious if I am the first one they ask or utterly crestfallen and dejected if I only confirm what other dealers have told them.
    Aside from PCI and SEGS who both maintain some semblance of respectability even if considered quite liberal in their grading, none of the others can be considered legitimate grading companies by accepted industry standards.
    They are, in my opinion fraudulent self slabbers who assign grades calculated to victimize the unknowledgable buyer.
    There is little chance that the victim can ever recover more than a fraction of the cost they pay for this starkly overgraded crap.
    Anyone buying this junk who supposedly knows better in hopes of hitting a home run in a crossover is hopelessy naive, greedy or both.
    It makes me laugh with glee every time I hear one complain that he got hosed.
    These are the people who hope to screw bidders with cleaned coins they hope to somehow slip into a legitimate holder but routinely get hoisted by their own petard.
    It is they and the hopelessly ignorant who keep these frauds in business. Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins website: www.djwcoin.com
    dalias13@hotmail.com
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageLOL@Frank and Pharmer's subsequent post.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my, someone's still bitter about eBay's policy change with him in mind

For a moment, I thought Pharmer said, "Oh my, someone's shill bidder about eBay's policy change with him in mind."image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have seen plenty of well graded NNC ( the common's mostly, they are more giving for the keys )[/]

Funniest post of the day! Kudos!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have seen plenty of well graded NNC ( the common's mostly, they are more giving for the keys )[/]

Funniest post of the day! Kudos! >>

I would like to see just one NNC slab, that will cross over to either PCGS or NGC in the same grade....( I would be willing to reimburse the owner for the grading fee)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>I have yet to see an accurately graded: SGS, ANI, NTC, NNC coin..........have you? If so, I sure would like to see a scan for us to review.... >>

The crap-slabbers "screw up" once in a Blue Moon and let an accurately graded coin slip into their holder. I once cracked an NNC MS-65 Walker that graded MS-65 at PCGS. It was toned, though, so I think the NNC graders thought the surfaces were worse than they really were, otherwise it would have graded NNC MS-67 or 68.

My best crap-slab "score" was a PCI gold Morgan with end-roll toning (again the toning probably threw off the PCI graders) which was graded MS-65 by PCI, but went MS-66 at PCGS.
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Ebay is working with the ANA which set min. standards. As far as I'm concerned if your a TPG and can't meet the grading standard or are holdering cleaned coins you shouldn't be allowed to claim they are X grade and problem free. JMO
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

NO kidding! I keep looking at the date stamp to see if it says "April 1st" where he is posting from image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think it's discrimination.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    A private business is free to create its own rules, as long as it doesn't discriminate against a protected class (such as the handicapped) or against a race, religion, etc.

Considering the rampant fraud on Ebay, it's a step in the right direction. Don't forget they are still not prohibiting sales of third-tier slabs - they're just not letting seller put numeric grades or values in the auction title.

• << <i>Yes, I think it's discrimination. >>

As are laws against fraud, misrepresentation, insider trading and a host of other transgressions, but they are also protective.

• crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would like to see just one NNC slab, that will cross over to either PCGS or NGC in the same grade....( I would be willing to reimburse the owner for the grading fee) >>

bought an NNC MS61 graded 1913-S Saint back when I was naive...end of 2006

I promised to take it like a man and see the error in my ways

Therefore, I cracked it out and sent it to PCGS to teach myself a lesson.

I contemplated what type of BB I would get.....counterfeit??? Altered Surface?? Gold Plated???

Here are the results.................

PCGS MS-62

-------------------------
    "Never tell people how to do things.
    Tell them what to do, and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

General George S. Patton, Jr.
  • Although some of the lesser "tpg" will sometimes get things right, they are, on the whole, less than accurate. eBay can't monitor every individual auction, so they go with predominating trends. If coins slabbed by certain companies have an overriding tendency to be over- or mis-graded, eBay has to act on that. The fact is that many sellers have used these companies to defraud people. Yes, buy the coin and not the holder, but misrepresenting the holder is misrepresenting the coin.
    I think that sellers should be allowed to sell coins graded by lesser-tier companies, but without advertising them as certified or quoting prices for coins graded by different companies. With any of those companies, I say treat them like they're raw. I do appreciate the information eBay has posted on grading guidelines. I hope it prevents novices from blowing their money and becoming disenchanted with the hobby.
    As for 'things' like SGS and the like, something needs to be done. Maybe a required disclaimer or something else. Couldn't you even say SGS 'slabs' should be illegal for defrauding? Any ideas?
    "Coins used by a nation are one of the most enduring records of the art and mechanical skill of its age"
    -Mint Director Frank Leach
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    yes,

eBay should allow misrepresentation and fraud to run ramport on their auction site

it will allow competitors to take away their market share
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Yes but with due cause. Everyone knows that some are totally bogus in their assesments. They allow these "Other" companies to sell their wares but have pulled the reins in on many.

PCGS, NGC, ANACS & ICG are "acceptable."
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    << I would like to see just one NNC slab, that will cross over to either PCGS or NGC in the same grade....( I would be willing to reimburse the owner for the grading fee) >>

Won't happen. A friend tried a few NNC and learned the hard way. All were altered or otherwise damaged/ improperly cleaned etc, etc.

Friend is new to the hobby and got taken by (whatever the world they're called) homemade PCGS look alikes sold by several designed to fool newbies that just see holders that resemble PCGS'.

Sad and dirty pool, man.
  • What would change if the TPG graders signed their name to an insert that is encapsulated with the coin? Would this be better or worse for Numismatics? Would this limit fraud, counterfeiting, etc.? Would the graders exercise a higher standard of caution? Would an increased level of pride and performance in the field of grading naturally result? Would this result in more uniform grading and weeding out the individuals that are less accurate or not within the norm of grading ability? Would there be an increased level of confidence in the coins' assigned grade? Respectfully, John Curlis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file