Home Sports Talk

Who are the best (retired) players who are one tier below HOF caliber?

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
Thought it might be fun to list players you can think of who are not HOF caliber, but were very good players in their day. Guys that with just a little more talent - or a few more seasons - could've been HOF'ers but just weren't great enough. Very, very good, but not great.

Here's two to start off:

Vada Pinson

Harold Baines

Stay classy.

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Jeff Bagwell
  • we could probably come up with close to 1 000 names

A few of my favories:

Dom DiMaggio
    Curt Flood
    Dan Quisenberry
    Jose Canseco
    Tom
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Frank Howard
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Thurmon Munson and Dan Mattingly
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭
    Dale Murphy
    Roger Maris
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Bunch of Tigers:

Lolich 200+ wins, 25 win season, 300k season, 3 wins in a WS
    Freehan 8 time all star,5 gold glove
    Trammell 6 time all star, 4 gold gloves
    Whitaker ROY, All star,
    Cash .361, 377 HR, high HR%
    Staub Long career, 2700+ hits

All good - multiple all-stars, but just below HOF
    Wondo

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Dwight Evans
    Darrell Evans
    Bobby Grich
    Ted Simmons
    Jack Morris
    Jim Rice

The first four were tremendous ballplayers who never had much support. The bottom two, of course, might still get in.
    Bagwell will get in.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    goooen and strawberry possibly if they didnt screw thier lives up with coke
  • Fred McGriff, Ted Simmons, Dale Murphy, Rocky Covilato, Jim Bunning, Bert Byleven, Doc Gooden, Dave Kingman, Darrell Evans, Dwight Evans, Jim Rice, Dave Parker, Rubean Sierra, Bob Friend, Tommy Henrich, Tim Raines, Harold Baines, Andres Gallaraga, Jose Canseco, Ron Santo, Tony Oliva, Mark Grace, Dave Concepion, Louis Tiant, Keith Hernandez, Boog Powell, Frank Howard, Lou Whitaker, Alan Trammell, Fred Lynn...lots of 'em.

I still holdout hope for Roger Maris, Jack Morris, Don Mattingly, Andre Dawson, Thurmon Munson...we'll see.

<< <i>Fred McGriff, Ted Simmons, Dale Murphy, Rocky Covilato, Jim Bunning, Bert Byleven, Doc Gooden, Dave Kingman, Darrell Evans, Dwight Evans, Jim Rice, Dave Parker, Rubean Sierra, Bob Friend, Tommy Henrich, Tim Raines, Harold Baines, Andres Gallaraga, Jose Canseco, Ron Santo, Tony Oliva, Mark Grace, Dave Concepion, Louis Tiant, Keith Hernandez, Boog Powell, Frank Howard, Fed Lynn...lots of 'em.

I still holdout hope for Roger Maris, Jack Morris, Don Mattingly, Andre Dawson, Thurmon Munson...we'll see. >>

Raines and Blyleven are far more qualified than the five you have hope for; Bunning is already in. The Dutchman is apparently not going to make it, we shall see about the Rock. I am surprised to see Sierra's name on your list. I better go check out his stats.

Santo and both Evans are also more qualified than your five.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I think the correct term is "streak" of tigers. :-)Text
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    Gil Hodges, Paul O'Neill, Tino Martinez, Graig Nettles, and David Wells

Of course I think mostly of Yanks.
    Jim Bunning is a HOF'er. Gil Hodges should be in.

Ted Kluzewski.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    Possibly Tony Oliva
  • Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Orel Hershiser, Buddy Bell, Mel Harder
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Bert should already be enshrined.

some of my favorite guys from the 80's to mid 90's...classy guys, good team players, solid and consistent:

Dale Murphy: easily one of the players of the Decade

Joe Carter: an RBI machine on some bad Cleveland teams and ultimate W.S. hero.

Fred McGriff: consistent power and RBI's for a several teams.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great thread so far...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Andre Dawson ?
    Collector of anything to do with the Dallas Cowboys * PSA cards from 60-07 *
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I agree with PIMAN on Mel Harder....I commented on a previous thread that I thought he belonged in the Hall.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who do you think gets my vote ? image

Pitcher-------- Win Loss K--- ERA/LgERA
    Tiant----------- 229 172 2416 3.30/3.74
    Hunter- --------224 166 2012 3.26/3.39
    Bunning -------224 184 2855 3.27/3.74
    Drysdale-------209 166 2486 2.95/3.57
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Boog Powell

Norm Cash

• I agree with the Luis Tiant! And, I would agree with Tony Oliva as well. But, you could list hundreds if not thousands of guys.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blyleven and Ron Santo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Santo isnt one tier below. he SHOULD be in the HOF.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al Oliver and Steve Garvey

Oh, and Tommy John

Steve
  • Here's two nobody else would say:
    1) Bill Madlock
    2) Vada Pinson
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    I am biased for the Reds so here goes. 1. Joe Nuxhall- announcers wing and the youngest player ever. 2. Barry Larkin the prototype shortstop- between the no hit great field and the Jeter/Arod eras. 3 Davey Concepcion a great cog of THE BIG RED MACHINE second only to Ozzy. 4. Jim Maloney- one of the premier power pitchers of the 60's 5. Don Gullett outstanding and along with Jim Hunter one of the first top tier free agents. Honorable mentions Vida Blue- Louis Tiant- Vada Pinson- Dale Murphy -Don Mattingly-Curt Flood
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Damnit Mike! I just said nobody would say Vada Pinson, and you list him in the next post!image
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Andre Dawson, Albert Belle, Will Clark, Jeff Bagwell, Fred Mcgriff, Joe Carter, Keith Hernandez.

Jack Morris, Doc Gooden, Bret Saberhagen, Mark Langston, Orel Hershiser.
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Santo isnt one tier below. he SHOULD be in the HOF.

LOL, my bad, I thought we were listing guys who haven't gotten in but should. Blyleven SHOULD be in the HOF, as well.

One tier below?

I'd say Gossage and Dawson, then, maybe Rice.

And don't forget Dallas' guy, Gene Tenace. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i never realized roger maris wasnt in the hall-evertthing they did to him to screw him in 1961 should put him in there alonce between the ny press hating him and comish frisk
    Bill Buckner... I still think he was a terrific hitter

Did Dick Allen get in? I honestly don't remember but I don't think so.

Bobby Thomson.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Rocky Colavito. Did he sleep in that uniform ?

• colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Mattingly, Rice, McGriff, Hodges, Maris, and Dawson
  • clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    He doesn't qualify as below HOF caliber....

It is a crime that Blyleven is not in yet.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
    Al Rosen.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I would say Blyleven, Rice, and Gossage, but I think these guys will eventually get it in one way or another. That said, Dwight Evans immediately comes to mind. If he had only developed that swing 3-4 years earlier in this career, he would had the numbers that would have commanded attention with the sports writers. His stellar defense would have only been a plus.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Lets start a thread about the players that should be removed.....
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By position, the best player who is not in the HOF and does not belong in the HOF:

C: Ted Simmons
    1B: Norm Cash
    2B: Willie Randolph
    SS: Jim Fregosi
    3B: Sal Bando
    LF: Frank Howard
    CF: Vada Pinson
    RF: Bobby Murcer
    P: Carl Mays

If you think there is someone better at any position, then I either disagree or I think that player belongs in the HOF (you have to guess which is which). I also didn't even consider the players who retired so recently that they have not really had a chance to get voted in yet.

Special mention to Dick Allen who was WAY better than anyone listed above. As a player he was a HOFer, but that's not the reason he's not in; because he was not, in any sense of the word, a second-tier player, I didn't list him either.

One thing that always strikes me when I make lists like this - playing in the 60's or early 70's in a large park obscured many a tremendous career. Bobby Murcer, Ken Singleton, Bobby Bonds, Vada Pinson, Jimmy Wynn, Tony Oliva..... the list of outfielders whose jockstraps Jim Rice is not fit to carry is long indeed, but he's the one who might make the HOF.

{Gene Tenace, just to be clear, is not listed because Ted Simmons was better - not because I think he should be in the HOF.}
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
    some excellent players have been identified