Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An interesting read on TCGS Coin Grading Co.

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    Well, that's pretty much the story of any grade-inflated, self-slabbed coin, isn't it?

Where's the posse now?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Interesting... Thanks for Sharring image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just heard of TCGS for the first time on another thread here recently. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of them... Facinating tho...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many sad stories of neophytes who do not do their homework before investing.... this is as odious as any other story I have heard... however, they have lost less than many similar cases. With so much information available, internet, library, bank consultants, etc, it is such a shame that people part with their money so easily. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another dead body lying along the road to riches, paved with the crushed dreams of instant wealth and instant gratification.

Really, no more than a few minutes of basic research is needed to avoid 90% of what the fast buck artists try to get away with. Where do all of these victims come from - who have money burning a hole through their pockets and act with such reckless abandon?

Caveat Emptor.
  • Options
    I was trying to dig up some info on this company when I saw this auction. Has anyone ever had a TCGS coin?
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Hmmm, sell for 4200 buy back at 1200. It seems that

the markup is just a teensy weense bit high.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I've seen them before. It's a PCGS copycat/look-alike attempt, similar acronym. More pretend TPG junk. Here's one of them.

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Thought that name rang a bell...

On June 15, 2007, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the sentence imposed on Armand DeAngelis of 97 months in prison and restitution of $1,296,701. According to the indictment, DeAngelis's fraud consisted of misrepresenting to investors the quality of the rare gold coins that he convinced them to purchase at inflated prices from him through three corporations which he and his wife controlled.

Full article here
  • Options
    OMG, he got sent up the river! wow...I am not surprised by the civil action but the hard time?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I'm impressed that he only over graded by 1 or 2 points. That is better than many self slabbers.

They only would have lost about $1500 on a 4K investment. It seems that I lose more than that when ever I try to sell. image

Oh well fraud is fraud.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file