Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the thrill still there?

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is the thrill still there?
I remember when I was 10 years old, our family didn’t have much money. What extra money my dad did earn went to pay my sisters huge medical bills. I remember my mom buying me a 1963 Redbook, which was a lot of money for a “silly” book about coins. I read that book cover to cover several times. I reveled in the short notes about the origins of early coins.
I spent untold hours going through the few dollars worth of Lincolns that my dad would bring home every Friday night. Then carefully re-roll them so he could take them back to work on Monday morning. Those few that I did pull out I would show with great glee to my mom feigning interest with a big smile.
My allowance was 25 cents a week, of course it was a silver quarter that I received every Friday night. We would load into the car and drive to Thrifty’s Drug Store where the reward for a week completed was a single scoop ice cream cone for 5 cents. About twice a year, dad would throw caution to the wind and we would get TWO scoops for 10 cents.
Saturday I would take the vegetables from my garden and walk through the neighborhood selling squash and corn to the neighbors. I would also mow a couple of lawns for $1 each. About every two weeks I would plead with my mom or dad to take me to the local coin shop on Figueroa St in Santa Barbara. There, clutching the $3-$4 in one hand and my Red Book in the other, I would carefully pick out some “pennies” for my old Whitman folder. On one trip my grandfather tagged along and saw me spend 50 cents on an AU 1917-S Lincoln. He was quite upset and I got quite the lecture on the value of money.
By the time I was 12, I had a paper route and delivered 188 papers every day. For this I earned about $30 a month. I remember the day I proudly came home from the coin shop with the crowning piece of my collection. A slightly bent 1877 Indian Cent for $35. I was proud that by the time I was 15, I had a complete set of Indian Head Cents. About that time, girls, high school and jobs took up more and more time and collecting went lower on the list.
I’ve noticed in me that the passion for coins is not what it once was. When I see a coin now, I see it as something to buy and then to sell at a profit. I’ve tried different series, different grade sets, but the thrill just seemed to disappear a few years ago.
Enter my son. My oldest boy is 13 and has a form of Autism. Most pursuits don’t interest him. Last year I was going through a 5000 coin bag of Wheats because they were older dates and apparently had never been searched. My son sat down beside me and indicated he wanted to help. I said OK, and went and pulled out a couple of old Whitman folders and we started to fill holes. A strange feeling started to come over me. Something I had not felt in decades. A sense of accomplishment as we slowly started filling hole after hole. I noticed an intensity in my son that reminded me of myself so many years ago.
My son did finish his Lincoln set by going through several bags of Wheats, and yes, I did salt the dozen or so key and semi-key dates. But he doesn’t know and it doesn’t really matter. He then did a set of Jefferson Nickels the same way. His latest accomplishment , that he just finished, is a set of Indian Cents. And yes, I again supplied the keys, but he had to go through thousands of coins to find them. I watch my son now studying his coins and reading about coins in the coin magazines and I see myself 40 years ago. But the most important thing I’ve found is the fulfillment of sitting by my son and pressing coins into that old coin folder. I can honestly say that finding a Good-4, 1912-S with my son is more rewarding than buying a $10,000 coin.
If the magic has left you, try what I did and sit next to a child and fill the holes, and maybe, just maybe the magic will return.
I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Great post!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Your post brought back memories. Thanks. jws
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super post.... thanks for sharing. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Great post indeed. I don't have such a great story, but it's one I like to remember none-the-less. I'm lucky, I was pretty much born into numismatics. My grandfather owned a coin store where I worked - hung out may be a better term - starting at about age 12. I helped sort thousands and thousands of coins as a young teenager...found an 08-S Indian once, but Mercs were my passion when I was young. None of my friends could understand why I bought a 1916-D Dime...a pleasing good as I recall...for $260. I mean, it was a dime!!! Well, time has marched on, the coin store has been closed and my grandfather, God Bless him, is still around, but age is taking its toll. He does like hearing about my new purchases though and can never, EVER believe the prices nowdays. I know what you mean about not "feeling it" anymore. I still buy coins I like, but I always think to myself, "I wonder if I can turn a profit on this someday...what are the auction records like, etc..." I haven't done a set in forever. It seems that doing sets is truly "collecting." Maybe I should go back to that. Thanks for the post, Utah.

Cheers, B
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    AMEN TO THAT...We all need to appreciate the time we are given more
    with FAMILY and doing SMALL THINGS that make a LIFETIME of MEMEORIES!!!
    God Bless!
    We make a living by what we get, WE MAKE A LIFE BY WHAT WE GIVE!
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding an interest that your son and you can share in is wonderful.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    What a WONDERFUL post !!!!

Utah, this should be published in Coin World to remind everyone of the simple pleasures we once experienced...
  • Options

<< <i>What a WONDERFUL post !!!!

Utah, this should be published in Coin World to remind everyone of the simple pleasures we once experienced... >>

If NN or CW wants it, they can PM me.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for taking the time to write a great post.

That was a very good read. image

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best post I've read in some time. Quite a few people here can identify with this. image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Good for you!! I loved it.

I wish my sons (now 25 & 21) showed any interest. Of course, they both want to know who gets the collection when I die. Ugh!

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you story sounds very much like mine, my dad would bring home coins for me to look at and he would take them back later and we use to sell vegetables also.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Really great post. Although I'm not a father yet, I can't wait until my future child and I sit down and hammer coins into them old Whitman folders........can't wait. The time is the most important, that's something you'll never get back, but always have.

wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I'm replying to this thread to put it back on top where others can read it. It sounds that you have found a way to communicate with your son through coin collecting. There are lessons to be learned through tenacity of collecting. Thanks for sharing some of your life.
    Paul
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful story, thanks for taking the time to write it. (literally brought tears to my eyes)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super post. I agree that this belongs in CW.
  • Options
    In life timing is everything.......

I just today decided to take 1 table at the local show next month....I could care less if I sell anything.

My 7 year old son loves to play store and I ask if he would help me with my little store at the show......the light in his eyes was worth the table fee.....

Salting......lol.... I've already set up 3 buyers that are not coin collectors, but they will be that day.....its gonna be fun....

Great story Utah and perfect timing...

Al
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good post, stirs memories for me and my buddies of being the first one at the door of the coin shop EVERY SAT morning, like we were gonna score big ....!!!!!, always grabbed some NY pizza on the walk home too image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Great Post!

I wouldn't be going to shows and on these boards if the thrill wasn't still here.

I will admit it the fire was out for a number of years but it is now burning bright once again!
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    thank you very, very much for sharing that image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Great read, thanks for sharing.image
    Becky
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of us started by plugging holes in an album. There are many
    ways to keep the passion but just keeping an eye on the goal is a
    big help. When you can share it with somebody you care about it is
    much more special. Even sharing it with those we don't know as well
    is fun too.

The only "boring" times in the hobby for me is when I'm not filling
    enough of those holes. It doesn't matter how much the coins are
    worth only how much pleasure you can derive from it. Obviously
    there are other ways to have fun in the hobby but mine would seem
    to be pretty similar to yours.

ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the read Utah, for most of us true collectors, this story is familiar...it reminds us of our own experiences....

Trips to the local brick and mortar coin shop are good memories, of a time gone by, sharing the experience with family members that may or may not be with us any longer. Filling the holes in Whitman Folders, buying Proof and Mint Sets from the US Mint by mail only, and waiting 3-6 months to receive them.

Raw coins was the only way to buy, as certification was for many years in the future. You learned how to grade the series you collected, how to look for originality, how to spot altered or cleaned coins, etc.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks UtahCoin. image

Here's to The Thrill.....

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Great Post.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Utah - That was one of the best posts I've ever read on these boards.

P.S. My allowance was $0.50 per week. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing.image

~
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what being a parent is supposed to be about IMO.I'm happy for you,that you can regain your excitement for collecting just for the enjoyment of it through your child.Great post Utah!
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    At the urging of several members, I emailed this to CW as a Letter to the Editor. Thank you fr all the PM's!
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At the urging of several members, I emailed this to CW as a Letter to the Editor. Thank you fr all the PM's! >>

I hope it gets printed. There's something that happens to some people, as they get older, that they find their happiness in the joy of another person. I guess that's what being human is really all about. Thanks for sharing this with us...

John
  • Options
    Utah,

this is a WONDERFUL post! Very heart warming and well, just plain nice. image

To The Powers That Be
    Those of you fine people that manage and maintain this forum should consider making this a permanent sticky post. Or do something that will keep it visible for all the future members to read. Not to mention the current members that will find themselves wanting to read this again someday (myself included). How is it said? this post is one for the ages. It should remain for all to see for many years to come.
    I have all kinds of coins, tokens and a few medals. I'm not a big time Stack's Auction collector. I don't collect for investment or value. When I see a coin I think is neat, I grab it. I collect a few coins by year and mint, like Lincoln and Canadian Cents, Westward Journey Nickels, State Quarters, Presidential Dollars and 2 or 3 others. I have some Proof Sets and Uncirculated Sets. I've been collecting for 34 years, so I have a little bit of everything.

PS.
    I LIKE IKEs!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice post. Don't let money get in the way of your collecting.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I can honestly say that finding a Good-4, 1912-S with my son is more rewarding than buying a $10,000 coin.

NICE! That's Life in a nutshell!

Anyone watch "49up" lastnight on PBS?

'How do people change over the years? Explored with the seventh in a series of films that has profiled a group of English children every seven years, beginning in 1964 to today.'

It was the Family of each kid (now an adult) that brought each, individual happiness.

• Options
    Fantastic post......I really enjoyed reading it. My nephew has a severe form of autism, and I can't wait to show my brother your post. Thanks again for sharing your experiences and bringing back many of my happy childhood memories!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome post! Thanks for the memories...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Awesome post! That brought back great memories from my childhood in the late 60's and early 70's.

A retired former co-worker of mine is an avid scuba diver, and has discovered many lost ships here in the Great Lakes. He did a short stint working at a company that makes much of the equipment divers use. His advice - "Never make your hobby your business, or you'll lose your hobby". Many of us, myself included, have ignored that advice.

It's nice to sell a coin at a profit, but it's a greater joy to experience coin collecting as it once was. I've tried unsuccessfully to interest my 3 kids in the hobby. I'm glad you were able to share it with your son. Thanks!

Dave

• Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    What a truely awesome post. Might I suggest you email it to the powers that be at NN and CW?
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Wow. Speaking of magic, that post had it. Thanks.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    This truly is an awesome post and as I read I see many responders reminiscing fondly of their experiences during their formative collecting years. But it begs the question why must we only remember? Why not experience that feeling by plugging those holes in the albums and folders? I bought some coins from a retired teacher awhile back and there were several Whitman folders that were partially finished. Mostly cent folders. Ever since I've been searching through change and filling the empty slots. That's how I started collecting and it has been a joy ever since. I've even got my wife participating. So yes this is a truly great post. If you do try this it will bring back that old feeling you had when you first started and it's even better to share the hobby with people you love.image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

you did well, utahcoin.............image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Utahcoin :

I am thrilled for you!!

I also have an autistic daughter now 22 years old and she loves to take my rolls of lincoln sets and take them apart so she can hear the sound of them jingle. This goes on for hours on end until I get crazed and stop her.

I will attempt to see if my daughter would take to reassembling the coins into a blue Whitman folder. I cannot believe I never thought of that!!

I always tried to get my other and younger daughter interested in coin collecting but when I became a "dork" in her eyes as a teenager, that ended that effort.

But now I will report back to you on my efforts to get my older daughter involved in coin collecting in its purest form.

Thanks for giving me the idea of trying.

<< <i> Wow. Speaking of magic, that (your) post had it. Thanks. >>

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    As a few people suggested, I submitted this to Coin World as a letter to the editor a couple of months ago. I guess they didn't deem it worthy. Oh well, it still touches my heart to read it again.
  • Options
    It really deserves to be read by all here. Puts it back into perspective for some, I hope.

Great story, I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is worth another go-around.

I wish my childhood searches were salted!

Now, is the thrill gone in auctions? Much less real "no reserve" auctions these days. Mostly storefronts shill bidding or starting bids a full retail. sigh.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story! It's nice when you are collecting for the pure fun of it and sharing is even better!
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still valid today! Thanks!! 👍🏻 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic post! It's the research that pulls me in :smile:.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file