Home Sports Talk
Options

Breaking news - Marion Jones admits lying to federal investigators over steroid use

Breaking news on ESPN.

Comments

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    This is hardly surprising, though I do wonder what prompted her to admit it now.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how many gold medals does this invalidate? 5 or 6?
  • Options
    She was Balco client wasnt she?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    when will barry bonds step and be a man image
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Marion who?
  • Options

<< <i>Marion who? >>

Marion Jones (born October 12, 1975 in Los Angeles, California) is an American athlete of half Belizean and half African American descent. She is the winner of five medals at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia. She holds dual citizenship from the USA and Belize (her mother's home country).

Marion recently admitted to having taken steroids before the Sydney2000 Summer Olympics. This may result in the loss of her 3 gold and 2 bronze 2000 Olympic medals. It was announced that she intended to plead guilty to lying to federal investigators during the BALCO steroid investigation[1].

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Ah - okay, thanks. I think I remember her now.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Marion Jones admits lying to federal investigators over steroid use >>

....and then killed every one of them with her bare hands!
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    This is surprising. Why admit now??? Guilty conscience??? I guess some people can't deal with certain ethical dilemmas constantly haunting them.

Will she really lose the medals??? I have no problem with that, but do we only rely on her own admission? I am sure her coach knew about it too since he was the one to tell her about steroids in the first place.

I was under the impression that there must be objective evidence in order to disqualify someone. Her admission may come because she wants attention--I mean, what psychological state is she in right now?

One cannot jump to conclusions so quickly.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    She is under investigation I believe right now by the FBI so I think she is trying to clear the air before the feds do it for her. Dude are you serious about her admiting taking the roids isn't proof enough to take away her medals? Admiting you take steroids is the worst thing an athlete can do, they will never be thought of the same again.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>This is surprising. Why admit now??? Guilty conscience??? I guess some people can't deal with certain ethical dilemmas constantly haunting them.

Will she really lose the medals??? I have no problem with that, but do we only rely on her own admission? I am sure her coach knew about it too since he was the one to tell her about steroids in the first place.

I was under the impression that there must be objective evidence in order to disqualify someone. Her admission may come because she wants attention--I mean, what psychological state is she in right now?

One cannot jump to conclusions so quickly. >>

Her coach is also facing criminal charges.
  • Options
    Just another gutless cheater!!! When you're a loser and not good enough to win.....you cheat. Every single magazine, newspaper, tv show....anything that paid her money for a story, photo layout, interview.......whatever else, should sue her for the money she stole from them.
  • Options
    Morgoth,

I just thought that some lab test was needed as well as an admission in order to take the medals away. I know an athlete that admits steroid use will never be thought of the same way again, but this is mainly a legal question I had. I mean, I don't know what the Olympic committee rules are. A person can be depressed and disturbed and admit something just to get attention even though they might be innocent (this is a rare scenario I am just grasping on). The whole situation does not look good though.

If she is under FBI investigation, I can understand her clearing the air as it would be better she does that now than later. I believe she did not know the coach gave her steroids initially, but her problem was that after finding out, she covered herself and lied under oath. Would she have fared better using the Gary Sheffield plea of not knowingly using steroids? Many might think she was being insincere in that case too.

I wonder if she could have been some kind of matyr by going public the second she discovered that her coach was giving her steroids. I think the problem with that would be that people might not buy her story and assume she was only saying that to gain sympathy. I wonder who ultimately helped in her decision and what was going through her mind regarding all this.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    Take note that niether the Olympics, nor track-and-field could catch her drug use. When the only hope sports have of catching drug users is when law enforcement or the press step in, we can be sure it is extremely pervasive and has been for a long time
    Tom
  • Options
    I guess steroid technology is ahead of testing procedures. Many athletes testing negative might not really be clean. Jones was tested positive before, but her back up sample tested negative, so she was left off the hook.

Blood doping and steroid use must have been pervasive for a long time now since we see that testing alone does not catch many people. If the best we can do is wait for admissions, then all sports are tainted. I remember growing up in the Cold War and we were taught that steroids and blood doping is what the Soviets and East Germans did to dominate the Olympics, but the Americans were all clean--justifying a 3rd place finish in overall medal counts. Now, can anyone really say that the US athletes were all really that clean as once claimed? I think we had a level playing field all along.

They say that in the sport of cycling, you got to be really stupid and careless to get caught. Now we know why. Testing has not caught up with sports enhancement technology.

• Options

The Feds are beginning to come down hard. Guess their investigations are paying off.

She has one thing going for her.

She has bigger testicles than Bonds.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Marion!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Happy birthday Marion! >>

OK, the dragging up of old threads is getting tiresome now. Give it a rest.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    For a second there, I thought maybe she lied about lying about steroid use?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25