Home Metal Detecting

water hunt .......

i'm not much of a writer, but here it goes.....i was able to take advantage of the only 2 calm days last week and get in the water to give er a try....i spent 3 hours in the water on friday and another 3 on sat.... first stop was the spot i had some luck at last week, suited up and went in....no wetsuit yet, water temps still about 86 degrees .... i was not getting many targets for the longest time than i found a spot that started producing green encrusted quarters and dimes...time to slow down and grid....i must of pulled up about 4 bucks in change before i looked in my scoop to see some serious looking bling!...thoughts raced through my mind!... is it "white gold"..."platinum"....."2 karats" or "4 karats"...."whooooo hooo!" look at that rock! .... my heart was racing as i fumbled to read the markings....there, i see it! ... "oh boy!" CZ 925 CHINA what! CZ 925!....arrrrrrrgh! .... from whoo hoo to boo hoo.... man! give me a nitro please!....false alarm.... i had a great time and it was nice to get out and see such an abundance of fish on both days, and although i found no real treasure it was time well spent....the peace and quite you get when water hunting is awesome, when it's like that it's easy get some peace and quite ya know....here's the fish list in no particular order,

snook
barracuda
mangrove snapper
pilchards
mullet
grunt
lookdown
mackerel
rays
needlefish
searobin
croaker
bluefish

the variety of fish around here makes for a great day even if the finds are absent...the only problem is every now and then i start to feel a little like bait myself out there ....it's a dirty job...someones gotta do it .... happy hump day people....find yer share!.....hh
"see ya at the beach"
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a fun trip, even without treasure. Watch those schools of fish, sharks follow them.. image Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you say "water hunting", you mean UNDER the water! Cool!

<< <i>i'm not much of a writer >>

No problem- get yourself an underwater camera, and the pictures will more than make up for that!

Needlefish and mullet remind me of my own Florida childhood. I was born in West Palm Beach, y'know.

What are some of your best finds while diving? I have a friend at work who has a boat with sidescan sonar and all. He's a rescue and recovery diver, rather than a treasure hunter, but he has some interesting tales to tell. I was just talking to him about the wreck of the steamer "Magnolia", which had a boiler explosion and sank in one of the rivers here in 1852, with a number of folks losing their lives. It is right adjacent to one of my usual land hunting sites.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Great...now you've got me craving yellow-tailed snapper. I don't generally like fish, but I got me a plate of crusted yellow-tail when the wife and I were on our honeymoon in the keys and MAN! That was some good fish.

You did pretty good with your story image Tell us more next time.
  • lord m.....i live in palm beach county....i don't dive, i just walk around in the water with my mask and snorkel and try to find some goodies....i wear a weight belt with 41 lbs of lead to keep me steady in the water and slow me down if a shark attacks...lol....as for my best find?...i'm still waiting for it! a little piece of 1715 spanish silver or gold would be ok with me....maybe someday?....i do need an underwater camera, i kick myself everytime out for not having one....maybe for christmas

mr. pendragon....i agree!...snapper is the best...i'm not much for fish either but i'll eat a little snapper anytime....thanks guys for the comments and have a great weekend....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lived and worked in West Palm Beach for five years.... and did enjoy the Snapper. My favorite was Dolphin and Grouper. Miss those day boat excursions for bottom fishing. Cheers, RickO

• << <i>I lived and worked in West Palm Beach for five years.... and did enjoy the Snapper. My favorite was Dolphin and Grouper. Miss those day boat excursions for bottom fishing. Cheers, RickO >>

small world ricko...you also lived in maine too did'nt you?.....i was born and raised in maine and moved here in 99 after doing the snowbird thing for over a decade....i havent been on a drift boat since i discovered md'ing...i still fish but only for "gold" fish now....oh well, priorities change....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage