Home Metal Detecting

Hit a old farmhouse lot..

Had about 45 minutes of daylight, since its right down the road me and the wife loaded up the detectors, kids, scooters,skateboard,bug spray..and forgot the batteries...

well the wife got my classic 2 out and went to work before I had mine out of the car..kids were already in dirt up to thier knees, 2yr old,9 yr old..playing on the bulldozer..

I no sooner get my prizm on and swing it about 5 ft..and a solid quarter signal...came up 4 inchs..dug and knew right away it was not silver..but really close...a 65....

Now I here the wife off in the corner yelling at me," the batteries are dead..." im like and ....and shes like oh wait...they are working a little bit...(just enough to keep her from nagging me about going back home..about a quarter mile and getting more!)...well I dug 2 modern pennies..then my wife gets a nice strong hit.."its one of them corn stalk pennies!"...and my 9 yr old goes.."no mom..its a wheat penny!"

so he runs it down to me and i take a look..its a 1944 wheatie...

well its getting dark fast..and im just hurrying digging solid targets, when i get a nice hit..usually on the prizm its a clad dime or modern penny..well im digging and finally after about 5 in. drop the pinpointer in ..and nothing...run it over the dirt and there it is...

a ring...hmm..odd, wife came over and said its a bubble gum ring..I said i dont think so, wasn't the cheap metal, but a brass maybe...was real dirty..and getting dark fast..so dropped it in the pocket..now the skeeters were getting bad...and there was a very old shed, guest house in the tree line..but decided to save that for another day..

well got home. cleaned the ring up, and on the top it said "first communion"..with some initials....looks like a J and a P

NOTHING fancy but i'll have to get my loupe out and look at it better....not sure how old it is..but it's definitlely not modern junk..

the ring is flat on the top, and the bars aren't closed around the finger...they pass each other at the 6 o clock position..and are real sturdy,

so not bad for about 40 minutes of hunting...65 quarter,44 wheatie,a ring, 4 pennies, 12 gauge shotgun shell,4 old winchester cartridges, and a old hinge..gonna hit it again..
putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're lucky to have a family who digs with you.

Or maybe not, if you like solitude. image

Wanna see pix of that communion ring- it sounds interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice family outing... and cool finds in a short time. Sounds like the area deserves a more intense scrutiny. Cheers, RickO
  • DARN!..I HAD cleaned the ring off, and set it on the kitchen counter with the change, and now can't seem to find any of it, asked the kids..they didn't take it. the wife..she didn't take it(although she did clean the counters1)..will continue to search. I really want to see the ring better with my loop.

putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!