Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Marines Commem design award

Maybe this has already been posted here, but I thought it interesting and hadn't seen it on here. I'm curious if anyone has an opinion about how this might affect the collectability of the coin?

link
Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.

Comments

• Options
    being a military man - feel that this coin will grow in value as years go by - what marine, retired or active would not want to own one??? - know several soldiers who were given these coins as momentos for their service in Iraq - supply and demand will drive up the price of this beautiful commenmorative coinimage
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>being a military man - feel that this coin will grow in value as years go by - what marine, retired or active would not want to own one??? - know several soldiers who were given these coins as momentos for their service in Iraq - supply and demand will drive up the price of this beautiful commenmorative coinimage >>

I gave my father the proof when it came out. He was a Marine Sgt. in the late 50s. He really liked the coin.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a MS70.... and expect it to steadily increase in value. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is one of the few modern US commems that actually generated some interest outside the usual collector buyers. It should do well in the future.

The design was very predictable and lacked originality...a typical US Mint product.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Semper Fi

Happy 239th Birthday

Dig up the old, lest we forget.

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Devildogs! Oh and of coarse I have one.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe this has already been posted here, but I thought it interesting and hadn't seen it on here. I'm curious if anyone has an opinion about how this might affect the collectability of the coin?

link >>

Collectability?

It's highly collectible but then everybody who "wants" one either already has one or has their pick of which one they will purchase.

I'm afraid to say it but the actual award may have more collectible value than the coin.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Coin of the Year Awards were created by World Coin News to encourage creativity, artistry and innovation among the world's mints. >>

Congrats to the US Mint! It's nice to have the US on the board and winning some COTY awards image
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the prior COTY winners? Lots of bad, ultra-modern computer graphics designs. Not a crowd I'd associate with and I'm a darksider.

I do like this design more than every other US Mint product of the past five years, however. Way more than the US Marshall coins and the BBHOF issues.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file