Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amazing azure blue Georgia sky today produces unique effect

I had a lot of time on my hands today and it was such a beautiful, cloudless day down here, that I took my coin pics outside. Nice effect.

John

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blatantly AT image
  • Options
    PhotoShop?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    <<<PhotoShop? >>>

No, totally raw shot. it is just the reflection from the sky.
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Cool pics, A beautiful coin on a beautiful afternoon.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lighting does neat things to photo's.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for a bird or a plane to fly over... image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still waiting for a bird or a plane to fly over... image >>

I'm waiting for that plane, too
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice shots.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Nice pics, I wish I could capture some of the sunsets here in South Ga like you've done with the blue sky!

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is cool.....nice thinking!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Nice photos, but in all my years, I've never seen that shade of blue. Color is too intense and it doesn't
    meet and blend into the rims the way a natural color would. Looks choppy at the rims. Sorry.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Nice photos, but in all my years, I've never seen that shade of blue. Color is too intense and it doesn't
    meet and blend into the rims the way a natural color would. Looks choppy at the rims. Sorry. >>

You never looked up at the sky?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet look!!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    White light comes from our sun. So why does it appear yellow?

Turns out that you can't have a yellow sun without a blue sky. Also, you can't have a blue sky without the sun appearing yellow. The OP's pic is beautiful, with the blue sky reflecting off of the mirrored proof surfaces!

When I take a sheet of white paper out into the sunlight, why doen't it appear yellow? With a yellow sun reflecting off it, it should appear yellow.

I'll answer that question later on today.

Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I have a pic of a proof sac somewhere with a similar look, but my day was partly cloudy and you can see a couple small clouds in the fields.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Nice picture but I like my Azure Blue Mach 1 better.image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I take a sheet of white paper out into the sunlight, why doen't it appear yellow? With a yellow sun reflecting off it, it should appear yellow.
    >>

Not all white light is created equal, that's what white balance is for. Your eyes have an automatic white balance adjustment. The relative color balance of a "black body" radiation source (such as the sun or a halogen lamp) varies with the temperature that it's cooking at.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Red is grey and yellow, white
    But we decide which is right
    And which is an illusion

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice photos, but in all my years, I've never seen that shade of blue. Color is too intense and it doesn't
    meet and blend into the rims the way a natural color would. Looks choppy at the rims. Sorry. >>

You never looked up at the sky? >>

image...I'm sure you have seen that shade of blue...right
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our Georgia skies do take on some amazing colors 'round about fall. It makes up for the fact that we don't get as much color in the foliage (at least, not in my southeastern coastal corner of the state, practically on the Florida line).

I wish I could see your pics, but they're Photobucket, and the server gods here at work are now blocking Photobucket and all "online communities". Thank goodness CU is still flying below their radar! I would lose my mind if they blocked that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Gotta be photo shopped, there are no milk spots, lol image
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    <<<<Nice photos, but in all my years, I've never seen that shade of blue. Color is too intense and it doesn't
    meet and blend into the rims the way a natural color would. Looks choppy at the rims. Sorry. >>>>

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying but, if you think the coin itself is blue, it's not. It's silver and the color is the reflection of the sky.
    If you think I enhanced the color, why would I go to the trouble? The color speaks for itself, I didn't need to do anything to it.
  • Options

<< <i>White light comes from our sun. So why does it appear yellow?

Turns out that you can't have a yellow sun without a blue sky. Also, you can't have a blue sky without the sun appearing yellow. The OP's pic is beautiful, with the blue sky reflecting off of the mirrored proof surfaces!

When I take a sheet of white paper out into the sunlight, why doen't it appear yellow? With a yellow sun reflecting off it, it should appear yellow.

I'll answer that question later on today. >>

Our star is actually a WHITE star.

The Sun has a spectral class of G2V. G2 implies that it has a surface temperature of approximately 5,780 K, giving it a white color which, because of atmospheric scattering, appears yellow as seen from the surface of the Earth. This is a subtractive effect, as the preferential scattering of blue photons (causing the sky color) removes enough blue light to leave a residual reddishness that is perceived as yellow.

Also, objects appear a certain color because the object is absorbing all of the colors of the light specetrum except the color you're seeing.

Paper appears white because it's reflecting the blue from the sky, as well as the rest of the color spectrum from the sun, recombining and reflecting all of it to appear white.

"but, blue and yellow make green!"

Right. Except, our star is white. The only color it is loosing when it shines through our atmosphere is blue. Recombining that blue with the rest of the light that gets through our atmosphere will make white light.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Red is grey and yellow, white
    But we decide which is right
    And which is an illusion >>

Dave-I've got that album!
    Oh, the sky's AT. Mike
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty darned cool, if ya ask me!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have that album, too, Dave. I guess that "azure" color might be a moody blue?
  • Options
    Boggled mind, you are 100% correct! Congratulations. I always thought that if you illuminated a white sheet of paper through a long enough tube ( to minimize sky color) that the paper would appear yellow.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

• Options
    Gotta agree with boggledmind, and with that in mind; Why do stars twinkle while planets and moons do not? Hint: It can't be the light refraction or distortion due to the atmosphere since the light from both travel through the atmosphere.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I was taking pictures of this Franklin and didn't noticed that it picked up the sky from the window behind me.
    Cool pictures.

• Options

<< <i>Gotta agree with boggledmind, and with that in mind; Why do stars twinkle while planets and moons do not? Hint: It can't be the light refraction or distortion due to the atmosphere since the light from both travel through the atmosphere. >>

Because stars generate light whereas planets just reflect it.

• Options
    <<<
    Because stars generate light whereas planets just reflect it. >>>

Exactly, it has to do with the different properties of radiated light vs. reflected light.
  • Options
    Planets scintillate (twinkle) also. Planets are not a point source (stars are), so the twinkling of planets is muted by the area of the source. Even our sun twinkles, a phenomena that can only be seen during one of these:

When the sun is a sliver in the sky, twinkling becomes evident as shadow bands just before and just after totality. image

• Options

<< <i> Gotta agree with boggledmind, and with that in mind; Why do stars twinkle while planets and moons do not? Hint: It can't be the light refraction or distortion due to the atmosphere since the light from both travel through the atmosphere. >>

<< <i>Exactly, it has to do with the different properties of radiated light vs. reflected light. >>

Actually, according to NASA, stars twinkle because of temperature variations in the air. No astronaut has ever reported stars twinkling outside of our atmosphere, so twinkling must be an atmospheric phenomenon. With stars, only a single ray of light is hitting our planet, which lets the temperature differences in the air affect the refraction of the ray quite easily.

The moon and sun, however, are sending so many rays that it doesn't matter that some of them are scattered away, so as long as the remaining ones are scattered towards us. The image looks steady. For this same reason, because planets are MUCH closer to us than distant stars, they are not single points of light. The twinkling of planets is much more muted. They do, however, still twinkle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file