Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ten times your money in ten years...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
Name a coin OVER $100 that you could see at ten times its current price in ten years.

Assume that gold will be worth $1000 an ounce in 2017.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    Being I feel the Mint will likely increase the the mintage for the remaining Liberty Gold Proofs, I feel the Thomas Jefferson Liberty in a PCGS PR70DCAM might be a good candidate in the Ultra Modern category.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    and you want this information for free?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>Thomas Jefferson Liberty in a PCGS PR70DCAM >>

i'd almost guess in 10 years there won't be much of any premium on a 70 over a 69

• Options
    and you want this information for free?

Of course. Why would I prefer to pay for "information" that I can get for free?
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>i'd almost guess in 10 years there won't be much of any premium on a 70 over a 69 >>

With the current PCGS 18% 70 ratio on the First Spouse Proofs, there will always be many more 69's available vs a 70's. If the Mint raises the Proof mintage for the remaining spouses and the Jefferson Liberty turns out to be the key of the Spouse series there will definetly be a difference. Being it will be sought after by those looking to complete a First Spouse series and the Liberty subset.

• Options

<< <i> and you want this information for free?

Of course. Why would I prefer to pay for "information" that I can get for free? >>

Pays to know your audience. Besides, it will be worth what you're offering. Look, this group gives you the goods like that, next thing you'll be in the coin biz.

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    I understand PCGS is somewhat stingy with the 70's. But can you guarantee they will always be?
    Can you guarantee they will even be in business in ten years. By placing bets on 70's, a person is
    entering into many more variables than just the merits of the coin..... and shaky variables imo.

early large cents in ms condition i could go along with though.
  • Options

<< <i>I understand PCGS is somewhat stingy with the 70's. But can you guarantee they will always be?
    Can you guarantee they will even be in business in ten years. By placing bets on 70's, a person is
    entering into many more variables than just the merits of the coin..... and shaky variables imo.

early large cents in ms condition i could go along with though. >>

That same logic would apply to all the coins PCGS grades. Do collectors pay more for better quality vs standard quality examples of large cents?

• Options
    Look, this group gives you the goods like that, next thing you'll be in the coin biz.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    In my opinion a nice 1827 Restrike quarter in proof 65 would be a good candidate. I saw that one did not sell at the recent HNAI sale and when I last looked was offered for around 90K on their web site. I believe this coin is very underpriced realtive to other coins that are condition only rarities.
  • Options
    The '06 reverse proof in 70 with no milk spots could reach that level. Depends on how many remain perfect over time.

• Options
    the silver RP?
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options

<< <i>The '06 reverse proof in 70 with no milk spots could reach that level. Depends on how many remain perfect over time. >>

I would say also a problem free 2006-W in PCGS MS70 would be a far greater conditional rarity given the current trend.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    High grade 1997 - P SMS Jefferson Nickel's Only 25,000 minted. Compared to other low mintage Modern Designs it is still a bargain.
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1921-S 50c walker Fine condition from $275 to $2750 per PCGS price sheets.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2006w plat MS-70 PCGS

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    US or World coin?image
  • Options
    I expect that there will be quite a few 900%+ gains in moderns, but I won't try to guess which ones. It's not my area of expertise.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Micro o undetermined origin Morgans attributed in PCGS holders, especially the 1902-O VAM-3. There are very few of them. There won't be any more. They continue to be exceedingly popular and should continue so into the future. I know where a large fraction of them are and they won't be made available in the owner's lifetime, presumably well over 10 years more there too.

edited to add: 1964 SMS coins, provided they are better known, added to the red book, and more avidly followed. I can see them going up my multiples in a decade, but not sure the multiplier will make it to 10.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Name a coin OVER $100 that you could see at ten times its current price in ten years.

Just a guess, all 4 1996-D uncirculated Olympic silver dollars.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    US Mint electrotypes, especially the proof-only half cents. The advance will come as more collectors realize that the coins are semi-legitimate.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>US Mint electrotypes, especially the proof-only half cents. The advance will come as more collectors realize that the coins are semi-legitimate. >>

How can you tell that the US Mint was the orgin of these electrotypes? Did the mint mark them in some fashion?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Just go to the airport and buy some Canadian currency. With the way the dollar is falling it will probably be worth 10x next month lol.
  • Options
    The 2007 W $50 Gold eagle. (Providing the mint stops producing this coin right now because of the gold market). With only 12,000 minted, it becomes the lowest minted
    one ounce type gold coin of the modern era including one ounce gold proofs. Excluding the 1933 St gaudens and the 1907 ultra high releif Saints, the only coin that comes close
    is the 1908S which has a mintage of 22,000 almost double! You have to go all the way to 1892 double eagle (mintage 4,400) to have a lower minted gold ounce type. image
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    4 years ago I bought my Icon (90 no s) for $3000 its almost 3 times what i paid for it now...(wheres that fingers crossed emoticon?)
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    hey saints let me be first...welcome to the zoo!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    1999 W unfinished proof dies for the AGE Gold maybe. I was considering buying one.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1999 W unfinished proof dies for the AGE Gold maybe. I was considering buying one. >>

I was thinking about these, too. Anyone have the POP reports? Just looking at the eBay sales, it looks like higher grades (69 & 70) might be pretty hard to find once word really gets out.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Saints... good information on the gold ... The '99 unfinished proof dies have been languishing for some time. I think the market for these is quite narrow. It would take an expanded collector base to drive these up. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The 2009 Lincoln SVDB matte proof. Odds are that in 2019- we won't have money to toss around it will all be done on a card

I take VISA Andy!
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome aboard Saints... good information on the gold ... The '99 unfinished proof dies have been languishing for some time. I think the market for these is quite narrow. It would take an expanded collector base to drive these up. Cheers, RickO >>

This is true, the collector base for fractional gold eagle saints needs to grow about 50-100 percent before the 1999-w unc gold will see any heat. The 2006-w $5 is a 20,000 semi key issue coin and its trading a fraction over melt. You have got to decide if you think the baby saints are going to be a major collectable series by date and mint mark like the old gold or not. If you think the answer is yes then you had better buy your 1999-w gold and to a lessor degree the 2006-w etc while the collector base is smaller than the 99-w population. If you don't think the future collectors will want the baby saints by date and mint mark in series stay away. Momentary softness in a immature series MEGA key is a good time to buy. Not when the market is mature and tight.

Ericj96
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    To me picking one that is currently over $100 as you ask in your OP is tough.....

Here's to hoping its an 1853 No Arrows Quarter in AU53 image

Hey.... a guy can always dream image
  • Options
    I only mentioned the 1999w because of the write up in PCGS's Rare Market Report. It states that the mint estimates 6,000 were made, but the pops only can substantiate 1700 I believe. Most are probably still in rolls or locked in IRA accoounts maybe. Some were sent to Japan for jewelry also.
  • Options
    I only mentioned the 1999w because of the write up in PCGS's Rare Market Report. It states that the mint estimates 6,000 were made, but the pops only can substantiate 1700 I believe. Most are probably still in rolls or locked in IRA accoounts maybe. Some were sent to Japan for jewelry also.

Where can I find this article. I would love to read it. Please let me know.

Ericj96
  • Options
    I checked with the outfits that place IRA gold and they told me that they don't mess with small denomination gold very much because of high unit cost per oz. From what I understand the coins as you say found their way to jewely in Asia and many were damaged in the process. I think there may be 6,000 or whatever around but most of them had a very hard life and will not be coming home in collectable MS-68+ modern set grades.
  • Options
    a sac. prez. MULE !!!!!!!!!! I picked one under 100.00
  • Options
    PF70 or Eric,

Could you share what the pops are on the 1999-ws in 65-70? I don't have access and would love to know...

Thanks,

Sneed
  • Options
    The article is in this month's PCGS Rare Coin Market Report. The magazine cover for this month is posted on the PCGS's home page. It is an interesting article.
  • Options
    99942 1999-W $10 Eagle Unfinished PR Dies MS
    1 1 3 25 104 68's:504 69'S:947 Total 1,585

99940 1999-W $5 Eagle Unfinished PR Dies MS
    3 8 44 68's: 372 69's:1,291 70's: 1 Total 1,719
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2007 W $50 Gold eagle. (Providing the mint stops producing this coin right now because of the gold market). With only 12,000 minted, it becomes the lowest minted

What about the 2006-W $50 Gold Eagle reverse proof?

Mintage 10,000, if I recall correctly, and a one-year type coin (so far).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is soley a money and appreciation issue, I think there are better opportunities with world coins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>99942 1999-W $10 Eagle Unfinished PR Dies MS
    1 1 3 25 104 68's:504 69'S:947 Total 1,585

99940 1999-W $5 Eagle Unfinished PR Dies MS
    3 8 44 68's: 372 69's:1,291 70's: 1 Total 1,719 >>

Thanks PF70! Interesting #s. More high-graded coins than I would have thought. Then again, the lower ones probably aren't getting sent in. Whoever has that MS-70, I'll buy it off you for 3--that's right--THREE TIMES face value!
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Andy actually has a good idea. I also think that "unofficial coinage" is an area where prices could really rise in some cases. Bolen struck copies in copper are still rather cheap, and I wouldn't be surprised to see "base" prices in the low four figures in the "future". The less expensive Wyatt copies would also need consideration.

Another area would be medals and tokens listed in the upcoming 100 greatest book in numbers two through ten. (I think #1 is the Libertas Americana, and that has already had it's price increase.) My opinion may also change after I find out what these are.

More generally, at least in the near future, I would ask "what can be potentially slabbed, but is not yet (either at all or just not very often)?" Since I am against slabbing in general, I don't want to give them any ideas in specific. Of course, really, you need dealers who can get a hoard of them to convince the slabbers they are worthwhile to slab. My opinion is you need something which exists in "sizable" numbers in what would be numerical grades in the 60s, to convince number-chasers that the higher grades ones are really more scarce than those of a imperceptibly slightly lesser quality item which has a lower number on its slabbed.

(Oh, remember of course that this is just complete speculation and you probably have a better chance of finding a gold mine in your back yard than making money from my ideas.)
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.... If the Mint raises the Proof mintage for the remaining spouses . >>

IMO, as most of the remaining FirstHags™ are a footnote in history, (with a few noteable exceptions of course) mintages will wane consdiderably over the next few years. If they raise mintages next year only but a few will be found at much of a premium to melt. There's just not enough demand from what I can see.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    The flippers are playing havoc with the collector base. You used to know generally the collecting base for a commem modern, not anymore it seems.
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    1899P Libertyheads. aka morgan Dollars.
    50 cent bust before 1850 in E.F. +
    Standing liberty halves ms-63 and better
    proof buffalo any
    California fractional
    10.00 gold before 1920
    old coin albums
    old records
    In that order..................
    And yes Vermont comm.
    10/02/07

Um..............this is a modern thread sorry.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    1871 CC Seated Dime VF or better
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    "Um..............this is a modern thread sorry."

Certainly turned out that way, didn't it?

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I see from your website you know David Cassel. Is he active on these boards?
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file