Home Metal Detecting
Options

He's hooked now!

My son was disappointed last weekend after I found my coin purse silver cache and he found nothing. So I took him out today after the disappointing vikings game. We went to the same general area as last weekend. After about an hour of hunting I could see him digging up something, so I yelled over to him "is it a strong signal" he said "not really". Well just keep diggin'. Out popped his first coin. I'm yelling at him "don't rub the dirt off". I ran over to him and looked at the coin. By the size I knew it was a nickel. We brought it back home and I rinsed it and clean it off with the homemade electrolysis cleaner. It turns out to be a 1890 V nickel. So he has surpassed me with the oldest coin of the year. Little stinker. As you can see in the second pic you wont be able to wipe the smile off his face for a long time.
By the way does anyone know if there is any way to get the shine back on a nickel?

Comments

• Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    The smile is worth way more than the coin isn't it?
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    The Vikings game was awesome

Wisconsin Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. he is solidly hooked by the look of that smile. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    fun post
  • Options
    That's a nice find. Older than anything I've found.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    yep, the shine is on your boys face, you won't be able to improve on that one.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post.
    A
  • Options
    That's a nice find! Congratulations to your son. There is no way to put a shine back in coins, and any attempt to do so will most likely result in more damage than it already has. From the looks of it, that nickel lost it's shine long before it was lost.

Bob
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nickel is trickier to shine up. I would leave it be.

That was his first coin?!? Geez, I would be hooked, too.

You guys are doin' great.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Awesomeimage and congratulations image

~
  • Options
    wtg you guys....i can't wait till my boy is old enough to get out and dig up a smile like that...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage