Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So I don't have a camera. I can no longer sell pcgs coins on ebay?

They cancelled some (but not all?) of my listings, I guess because I didn't have photos of the pcgs slab.

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah...just another screwup in their shortsighted attempts to clean up the mess they let occur.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Law of Unintended Consequences.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised anybody would list coins without images.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    If you don't/can't take a picture of the front and back of the coin you are selling, you can't list any coins on eBay. Not just PCGS coins.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options

<< <i>I'm surprised anybody would list coins without images.

Russ, NCNE >>

I agree, it's not like you are going to get less money for taking a good pictiure of the coin you are selling. Unless there is something wrong with it.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you sell without photos?
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    crazy isnt it... but really leads the way for 1 of the 4 to photo each of there coins for their customers.... what we would call opportunity!!!!
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

I agree, it's not like you are going to get less money for taking a good pictiure of the coin you are selling. Unless there is something wrong with it. >>

What about unopened boxes of USMint coins????
    THere are times to list without pics image

Also, take super generic coins....like untoned SAEs in MS69....not a lot that the picture can show you that is different from the rest of the MS69s.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot imagine selling coins without photo's...unless there was a really excellent return policy.. (refund shipping both ways etc...) even then, I would not bid. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Why would you sell without photos? >>

See my post above...unopened boxes from the mint....do I need to get the box xrayed to get a pic of the coin in the box? image

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

I agree, it's not like you are going to get less money for taking a good pictiure of the coin you are selling. Unless there is something wrong with it. >>

THere are times to list without pics image >>

Granted there are exceptions but the OP is about PCGS slabs.

<< <i>Also, take super generic coins....like untoned SAEs in MS69....not a lot that the picture can show you that is different from the rest of the MS69s. >>

This has been brought up before. It's now a cost of doing business given the scammers.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I remember back in 1998 when I first started listing on ebay - images were rare in any category. I used to have to describe everything in detail as to the items condition.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

THere are times to list without pics image

Also, take super generic coins....like untoned SAEs in MS69....not a lot that the picture can show you that is different from the rest of the MS69s. >>

In the case of listing a sealed Mint box, that is what you are selling and what adds value to the item but I imagine you are still required to take a picture of the item you are selling. A photo of generic coins can disclose any problems it may have like those pesky milk spots. I for one, would never bid on a coin if I can't see what i am bidding on.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a cheap camers such as a rebuilt Fuji Fine Pix 2650 for about $50 and then post a front
    and back and you'll be much better off. The camera will pay for itself fairly quickly! Here's an example.
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I have always listed an honest detailed accurate description, and allowed a full return policy. All you can tell from most pictures of coins on ebay, is that it's a coin. The marks, problems often don't show up, and a detailed desciption is much more informative. I've had perfect feedback and have always gotten top dollar. (Occasionally on a high value coin I will borrow a friends camera). It seems to me to be a collossal waste of time to take a photo of every $10-$50 pcgs Lincoln Memorial cent I sell.
  • Options
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're selling a $10 PCGS cent, what was the point of spending more money to slab it?

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Here is a response from eBay on my picture concern.

In regards to the new coin listing policy. I have only a
    scanner to take images of coins and it doesn;t do a great job on slabs. I
    only sell PCGS and NGC coins and it will be difficult to take "clear"
    pictures. I hope this doesn't cause any problems. How clear must a
    picture be?

Thier response:

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to listing slabbed graded coins on
    eBay.

With our new policy being instituted on Oct 1, we will require seller to
    show a picture of their graded coins slabbed by approved graded
    companies. These images will have to be clear enough to tell what
    company has done the grading, and be able to read the writing on the
    slab.

Rookie Joe

• Options
    So why haven't you bothered to take images before? Don't know how to use a camera? Or how to download to a computer? Or how to upload to a web host? Or how to paste a url into a listing? eBay is a visual medium, used correctly. You're a little young to be resisting change or learning new things.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW, I thought it was you can not put a grad or the typ of holder with out a pic.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    I stand by that a detailed honest description is worth far more than most pictures. It seems like taking photos would take up a whole lot of time. Unfortunately my computer is from 1998 too (just the new ebay sell page takes a while to load). I have $10 pcgs Lincolns to sell because pcgs's standards changed (now I'll get to lose time and money).
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try selling them without pics on the pcgs BST board.....that's a no brainer and works well, especially for inexpensive
    coins. Just name a fair price and you'll get them all sold.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    "Try selling them without pics on the pcgs BST board.....that's a no brainer"

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actully you can still sell them. You just can not put PCGS or a numaric grade in the listing title or use reference to the PCGS price guide in the listing.
    With out pictures you are selling RAW coins as far as eBay is concerned. The same is true of those unopend boxes talked about above.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Russ, NCNE >>

Me too
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Since I had never seen them, I had to look up the e-bay policy. Here it is:

Certified Coins
    When listing a certified coin, the coin must be certified by one of the following authorized grading companies:

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)
    Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS)
    Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS)
    Independent Coin Grading (ICG)
    ANACS
    In addition, listings for certified coins:

Must be assigned the appropriate grading attributes in each listing. Sellers must select the appropriate grading attributes within the Sell Your Item form, including "Grading Company," "Grade" and "Serial Number" provided with that grading.
    The listing must include an image of the item, showing the coin in its graded holder, front and back.
    If the coin listed is not certified by one of the above authorized grading companies, the coin is considered raw/uncertified and is subject to additional requirements for their sale.

Raw and Uncertified Coins
    A raw or uncertified coin is defined as any coin not graded by one of the authorized grading companies. Sellers are permitted to list these items on eBay under the following conditions:

A numeric grade is not included in the title of the listing, such as MS-65, VF-25, etc. A numeric grade may only be included in the description of the listing.
    The grading company or price guide is not referenced in the title or description.
    A dollar value (even if personal opinion) is not included in the title or description.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scanners work quite well for images of coins in slabs.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many pictures on ebay are worth no more than a few words, never mind a 1,000 words. Reviewed one PCGS MS64 $20 Saint auction and it had no reverse photo and the typical out of focus obv photo that only proved the seller had a Saint.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file