Home Metal Detecting
Options

what metal detector do you recommend for a person new to the hobby?

fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
what metal detector do you recommend for a person new to the hobby?

garret? whites?

what model? what price range should i be expecting to pay for
quality gear?

could you please give me some tips?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fc... you will get a lot of good, solid responses to your question... however, a lot depends on your intent - is this just a temporary interest? or do you intend to do a lot of it, as a hobby or avocation? That is where it begins... if you are intent on doing a lot, I would invest in the White's DFX... if you are just 'testing the water'... then a Garrett's will be recommended (lower cost, capability). Wait for the responses, and then weigh your decision... there is no 'slam-dunk' answer. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    this is theresa, matt's gf. we are both interested.

---theresa taking over now----

maybe it would be a longer hobby if i get interested! but i don't have any experienced yet to this field ..seems gonna be interesting?

do u know where to buy best? thanks for reply..

Theresa
  • Options
    we live in nashua, NH now and we were at this great hobby shop.
    hobbytown USA on amherst st.

well they had a pretty good selection and i have been pushing
    theresa to pick a hobby. she gravitated to metal detecting.

anyway i mentioned to her long ago my parents have an old metal
    detector. a whites. we have a wedding to goto and thought we could
    pick it up from my parents and play with it.

it is soooo old though. i remember using it with some success 14+
    years ago. so much has changed.

well we are in the research stage. budget range can be one half
    eagle ;-) 100-800.

thanks for any input. we are going through our docs from the store
    and searching online.

sound off on what you use and how much please ;-)

matt
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the White's DFX - good site to visit - www.dfxonly.com .... check out the people/posts there... most helpful, knowledgeable people I have ever found on a dedicated site. The price of the DFX runs about $950.. of course then there are the extras. Right now, there is a special deal on the DFX... you get a very special coil (in addition to the stock coil) for only $25, usually a $240 purchase. The DFX is the cadillac of the detectors. It can be used right out of the box, or, as you get more familiar with it, the programs can be modified. Lots of special programs available free on that website. Good luck, welcome to the addiction.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Theresa/Matt...Hello
    Find out more about the White's your folks have. I have two 1990 top of the line "White's Eagle 2 SL90". They can and do work side by side with a new White's DFX.

Look into White's Prizm line: http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/18-1-whitesprizm2.html

White's: http://www.whiteselectronics.com/prizm2w.php

I have the Prizm 2 for an easy turn on and go machine for the grand kids to use. I think I use it the most :-)

Your weather will turn cold SOON...so don't get in a hurry.
    Check E-Bay this time of year. Lots of people upgrade to new units and sell off the old machine. ;-)

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I use Garrett....I actually have two of them...But any of the top brands will do the job..

Good luck!
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    detectors on internet

No sales tax, quick shipping
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards