Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who's on your 1980's All-Rookie team?

If you had to put together an all 80's rookie team in baseball, who would they be at each position?

Simple rule: Rookie from 1980 to 1989.
Also try to incorporate their dominance of the decade.
Outfield does not have to be specific by exact position
Heres mine.

1st Mattingly
2nd Sandberg
3rd Boggs
SS Ripken
OF Gwynn
OF Puckett
OF Griffey
C Biggio
D.H. Strawberry

Anybody else?
Man I miss the 80's!!!

Comments

• Options
    Rickey Henderson,Bonds, McGwire, Will Clark, Palmiero

• Options
    Who's catching ?? Biggio ??

• Options
    Oh Ya! Good call!
    And yes, Henderson was hard to leave out. I just had to put Griffey in there. 10 Gold Gloves are hard to pass up. Alomar on 2nd, Larkin at SS, Mcgwire at D.H. too.
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1B Mattingly
    2B Sandberg
    3B Boggs
    SS Ripken Jr.
    OF Bonds
    OF Griffey Jr
    OF Gwynn
    DH McGwire
    P Maddux
    P Clemens
    P R. Johnson
    P Gooden
    P Smoltz
    P Valenzuela
    C Santiago

B R. Alomar
    B Biggio
    B E. Davis
    B T Raines
    B H. Baines
    B K. Gibson
    B Henderson

Steve
  • Options
    Rickey Henderson over Griffey, who didnt dominate much of anything in the 80's lol since he only played one season image
  • Options
    I hear ya. Griffey is the only late 80's guy on my list. Im not much for saying "if only" or "what if". But even with injuries year after year in Cinci, his stats rock.
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • Options
    yes. his stats rock in the 90's not the 80's he didnt dominate anything in the 80's image
  • Options
    I still can't even figure out the question? Is it players who had the best rookie season during the 80s, the best players who started their career in the 80s or players who had the best decade 80 to 89 who also began their careers in those years?

Following the "Simple Rule" as exactly as possible, McGwire and Bonds would have to be on the team. Martinez was a much better DH than Strawberry
    Tom
  • Options
    Basically try to field a team with all 80's rookies.

I left out Mcgwire, Bonds, Palmiero, ect... because of the steriod nonsense. I know they havnt all tested negative. Just Palmiero. I was just trying to keep the team clean I guess. The idea of using guys who ruled the decade was just kind of a guideline. Strawberry averaged around 31 Homers a year throughout the decade. Stole bases, and was well on his way to the Hall until 1991 hit. I just put Griffey in there because I think hes a total bada**! Even though hes the class of 1989.

I guess a better title would be " The best of the 80's that started in the 80's"
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • Options
    So you agree Griffey was a silly and completely incorrect choice, yet you listed him anyway?

Infield is completely almost too easy to list. Obvious player not yet mentioned would be Tony Pena at catcher and Harold Baines at DH (though if Baines stayed in the outfield for another couple years the DH would be between Ken Phelps and Larry Sheets). Stawberry or Gwynn in rightfield is too close and I don't feel like having to dissect everything they did. Leftfield would be between Chili Davis and George Bell. Puckett in center
    Tom
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh Ya! Good call!
    And yes, Henderson was hard to leave out. I just had to put Griffey in there. 10 Gold Gloves are hard to pass up. Alomar on 2nd, Larkin at SS, Mcgwire at D.H. too. >>

Your initial post says to consider the player's dominance in that decade. That's going to mean most the picks have rookie cards early in the decade, as it's hard to "dominate the decade" if you came up in 1989. Just ask Griffey, who didn't dominate anything in the 1980s.

And Rickey must be on the list. He's one of the top five hitters of the last 30 years.
  • Options
    Henderson was awesome. No doubt. I was just looking for opinions for a little project.

Im going to put together an autographed ball collection of the 80's. I wanted it to be all rookies from the 80's. Basically a 80's rookie dream team. I was in Highschool in the 80's and got to see their first at bats and watch many go to the Hall.

Its kind of a sentimental thing I guess. Thanks for the input.

I did this thing a few years ago with an all 70's team too.

1st Murray
    2nd Molitor
    3rd Schmidt
    SS Smith
    C Fisk
    OF Murphy
    OF Dawson
    OF Winfield
    DH Brett

Molitor could play anywhere in the infield, so hes at 2nd.
    Brett was to good to be left out, because of Shmidt. So he would D.H. for me.
    Yount was tough to leave out, but Smiths glove was hard to pass up.
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • Options
    Henderson's first year was 1979. If we include him, why wouldn't it simply be a team of the best players during the 80s?

For personal reasons, of course you should choose which ever players you appreciate the most, not ones that fit rigid criteria

Like if you list Biggio at catcher, why not Murphy?

It is interesting to take the question and come up with a lineup

A more objective look at the 70s would have to use a different player at every position except thirdbase. Fisk played a few games in 69, Porter would be the authentic choice. Cecil Cooper had twice as many full seasons as Murray and Hernadez won an MVP, so either would be a better choice. Whitaker only played two seasons in the 70s, Grich is the easy choice, even Davey Lopes did much more. Concepcion played a full decade, Smith and Trammell only two seasons. In the oufield Rice in the easy choice in left, Lynn or Cedeno in center, most likely Parker in right, but Winfield or Evans are also reasonable choices. DH is barreb. Brett only played four games there in the 70s, Don Baylor would be a better choice. Might be some obscure player I'm forgetting about

Anyone want to try the 60s?
    Tom
  • Options
    Good input.
    I was pretty young for the 70's team, I have to go by their stats. Which really sucks.

The 60's would be tuff as well. Not being born yet does that.

I hate going by numbers and stats. Watching them play changes everything I think.

Thanks for the reply. I love these type of discussions.
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

player who played well in the 80's and rookies card is in the 80's

1st Mattingly/hrbek
    2nd Sandberg
    3rd Boggs
    SS Ripken
    OF Gwynn
    OF Puckett
    OF Henderson
    C Santiago

P Maddux
    P Clemens
    P D. Stieb
    P Valenzuela
    P D. Stewart

RP L. Smith
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1960s......

1B McCovey
    2B Morgan
    3B Rose
    SS Campaneris
    OF Yaz
    OF Jackson
    OF Brock
    P Marichal
    P Perry
    P Seaver
    P Ryan
    P Palmer
    P P. Niekro
    P Hunter
    P Fingers
    C Bench
    DH Stargell

B Carew
    B Perez
    B B. Williams
    B Torre
    B Nettles

Steve
  • Options
    Nice lineup!

Tough having Morgan and Carew to choose from on second.
    Man I miss the 80's!!!