Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Cathedral Medal

I posted a thread earlier with a $7.50 Columbian Half as my consolation prize for not buying anything at Long Beach. In reality, when I left the show I knew I wanted to buy this Wiener Cathedral Medal. I had no idea what it is worth so I nuke sniped it. These are seller pics as the auction just closed a while ago.

imageimage
There is one I'd rather have. Here is an image of it I borrowed from a board member.

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    So you won that Wiener medal! image

It was on my watch list but was already too expensive for me this morning - great catch!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    That second medal is way cool ! I have to have one! Anyone know its attribution? Anybody selling one?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW, Looks like you are looking in a peep hole Nice. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So you won that Wiener medal! image It was on my watch list but was already too expensive for me this morning - great catch! >>

Probably means I overpaid. Like I said, I have no idea what it is worth. I paid less than a PCGS MS64 common date large cent. --jerry
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can never over pay, as long as you like it It's worth the $$$$. Just some collectors have a limit on what they will spend and that limit is not the same with all collectors. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Your "first" architectural medal, you say? I'm worried, as I think mine is also lonely by itself. And my guess is that doesn't sound like a bad price. I paid a good deal more for mine, though it is a different medal (and while I can find no archived auctions for it, I don't feel bad about the price I paid.) I suppose if an American auction company would sell a sizable consignment of them in the near future, we'd see just how much these could be worth. There certainly seem to be many people here who would buy one if the opportunity was presented to them.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    Ed,
    Which one do you have? Care to post a photo? --Jerry
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I've seen other Wiener medals go higher in auction. It all depends on the Cathedral represented. I have not seen this one before.

I have 1/2 dozen or more of the Cathedral medals. I know of 2 series, Belgian Cathedrals which are smaller at 50mm and European Cathedrals at 60mm.

As Type2 stated you did not necessarily overpay - I limit myself to no more than $100 for these which is why I am a underbidder more often than not and why I have more of the Belgian Cathedrals than the larger European ones (which also tend to be the more popular medals)
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Gotta love that! That one and the famous one you also posted form another board member. You see those and then look at the Florida state quarter and wonder why they make a really nicely designed coin here and now. Why? Freaking committees and their special interests strangling the selection processes.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Yes, things have to be very vanilla now. You have a good point. But remember, these medals are in a whole 'nother class: less than 1000 production, hundreds or thousands of hours of artistic labor, actual 3d--not suitable for circulation, and a weight in ounces,not grams. Size: Huge. --Jerry
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Perhaps the Mint might consider this for those low production platinum proofs? Too bad that bronze a lot more suitable tough.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, things have to be very vanilla now. You have a good point. But remember, these medals are in a whole 'nother class: less than 1000 production, hundreds or thousands of hours of artistic labor, actual 3d--not suitable for circulation, and a weight in ounces,not grams. Size: Huge. --Jerry >>

True, but this one is close to a full pound in hand.
    For size, I took a pic next to a Washie....a MS 32S may I addimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Linky

I want that set in the original box... [insert drool here].
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are awesome, I now have a reason to search for a new acquisition... time to go back to coin shows.. maybe even ebay. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are awesome, I now have a reason to for a new acquisition... time to go back to coin shows.. maybe even ebay. Cheers, RickO >>

Be careful buddy, these are really addictive.
    The talent of these metallurgists and artists is incredible.

This Pope Clement was made in 1730-talk about talent.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    If anyone sees one of these up for auction/sale, please PM me... thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ed,
    Which one do you have? Care to post a photo? --Jerry >>

I have the St. Paul's of Rome.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    I have one of St. Peter's Basilica, never made an obverse image. The obverse is of the exterior and this medal is quite convex obv/concave rev. A lot of metal was moved by the press.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the perspective on these medals. The hallway perspective gives the illusion of being much thicker/deeper than in actually is.
  • Options
    That thing is awesome!! As I have said before. It looks like you could walk right into that thing.
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Worth every penny!! Absolutely beautiful - thanks for sharing.
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    What are these things worth?
  • Options
    I don't know what they're "worth", but I paid $125 for the St. Peter's Basilica medal at Baltimore last year. Medals have often been shunned in favor of regular US series, but they have an awful lot to recommend them, fine art in numismatic form.
  • Options
    The $125 was well worth it... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my first Cathedral Medal. Found this one today at the Lansing show. Sorry for the mediocre pics, but does anyone have any info on this one? Obviously Hamburg Germany, but the only thing I have found so far is a record of another piece that sold in an auction. It is big and heavy - 1.75" in diameter and 1/4" thick. I liked it because it was a bit crusty and the price was good ($18).

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son was looking over my shoulder and said "Cool 3-D Medal". I must admit, those are very very visually appealing. Sort of like you're looking at an old sterograph card or view-master type of thing.

I remember in art class in High School, we had to try to draw a 3-d scene of a street, and well... there's a reason I'm not an artist today - but that is some spectacular work.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    At the risk of redundancy - I WANT ONE!!!!! imageimage Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Has anyone found out where I can get one of these. The 2nd. one if possible. They are all really excellent. I just can't find any. Help, I need it. image. Take Care, jws

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file