Home Metal Detecting
Options

I can't wait anymore to post!!

Man I loaned my camera out at the wrong timeimageimage I was going to wait to post my find's but after
this morning I have to at least tell you what I have found lately.

In the last few weeks I have found a few piece's of gold a 14k ring,12k bracelett and a 14k charm.
Now these last 2 weekend's have been real good to me on oldie find's.
Last weekend I was driving around and didn't see much going on
so decided to drive by this one lot where they put dirt pile's every once in awhile
and when I come around the corner there was a few pile's to check out.
As I walk up to them I see old broken glass and pottery,this a very good signimage
As I start hunting I spot a bottle just layin there and it is a very old bottle,I think it's an old beer
its a really dark olive green.Then I get a odd sounding target and locate it
out of the dirt come's this old pocket knife w/shell inlay.Nothing much else show's up so I pull out my rake
and go at it.
As I'm raking I uncover another old bottle a little taller and skinnier then the other but the same color.
Start running my detector over the pile and get a real good hit
remove some dirt and out pops a dam clad pennyimage
I thought for sure I had a sweet olde till I saw that thing!!
So after that and getting no more target's I raked some more where
I spotted a Chinese clay marbleimage kept rakeing till I got where I wanted.
Started back with the detector and got a real good signal and started digging.
I was having a problem locating this target and started thinking it was probally
a old pipe or something??
Well my pinpointer finally locked on to the target and as I moved some more dirt
out of the way I saw the flash of a big silver coinimage
as I pulled the coin out I couldn't tell what it was,then I flipped it over and noticed part of the eagle on the coin.
I thought I may have my first barber half,but I was wrong
it was my 2nd seated half dollar I have ever found and it is a 1870s,boy was
I really excitedimage
After that I found another one of those same pocet knives next to where I found
the half at,but it is a little smaller then the first.
It started getting dark so I left and couldn't get back there till wednesday and when
I did the dirt was goneimage
Well I went there again this morning just to see if maybe there was new pile's
and when I pulled up there were a bunch more.
I started hunting and got a very good solid signal,I moved this clump of dirt out
of the way and rechecked it.
Nothing,so I ran my coil over the clump and bam there it was!!
Crushed the clump of dirt and then ran my pinpointer through it and
located my target.I could see the edge of a small coin,broke the dirt open some more
and out come's a 1853 seated half dimeimage
Man I was pumped to keep hunting then!!
I didn't find much else but did spot a insulator in the pile and brought it back as well.
So tommorrow morning I will ba back there with my rake and moving some more dirt
as it may be gone on monday.
As soon as I get my camera back I will taake some pic's and post them
HH,Tom

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and dynamite finds... I wonder where that dirt came from? Old houses torn down to build new? Sounds like it... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    image Outstanding finds. WTG Tom!! Can't wait to see the pictures.

I'm jealous of the dirt delivery. I have to go out and find my own, and it's usually full of trees and rocks.
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Get that camera back! We need pics
  • Options
    TO ME that deserves a

YOU SUCK!..

they just demolised a old farm house down the road from me..and now its a dirt lot, gonna hit it tomorrow, maybe give my brother a call ..

house is from the turn of the century..
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!
  • Options
    LOL...Tom, This reminds me of when you didn't have a camera. All the good finds you had and no one would believe ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    wow!...awesome finds...can't wait for the pics
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thank's all it has been a slow year for find's infact until this last 2 weekend's I hadn't found any barber's or seated this year.
    I still haven't found any barbers this yearimageimage

Ricko, I drove all over town and couldn't find anything and from the type of dirt
    and with the older find's I knew it had to come from the older part
    of town and the only demo they have going on down there has been going
    on for awhile,plus they have already dug to China on that one.

Phut,we don't alway's get that lucky with the dirt delivery just once in awhile.

Davbec and Dubba I will ASAP!

Littlebitoeverything go hit it and hit it hard there are bound to be some nice goodie's
    hiding there.

Jerry image

HH,Tom
  • Options
    Great finds! You should try to find out where all that dirt is coming from and then go to the source.

Bob
  • Options
    Awesome finds! Looking forward to some pics
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought an 1853 half dime. Does that count? image

Probably not. I've dug two 1854 half dimes, though. But both are holed, as are all my half dimes.

Congratulations! I would have gone crazy if I didn't have a camera or scanner handy when I made such a find.

Edit- I missed the part about your Seated half. You suck. I haven't dug any of those. (But I have gotten a Barber half, so nyah nyah). image

I hope you get your first Barber half and I get my first Seated half soon.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.