Home Metal Detecting
Options

Fresh from 100+ years in the dirt- crusty copper alert....Update-not my only large cent for the week

I noticed this evening that the local city crew had done some more digging near the site where I found the civil war token last month, had the detector with me so I had to stop. Looks like they replaced a sewer pipe. Probably only around 1 hr of daylight left when I started. Worked the perimeter a little and dug a few modern cents and then the first really strong signal - quater size accoding to my GTAX Garrett, dug down a couple of inches in the freshly turned soil and saw a quick flash of silver- or so I thought- turned out to be a 1981 quarter. Then a few feet away another quarter size target and strong signal- down about 5 inches and out popped this:

imageimage

By now the light was really fading and I couldn't make out the date unitl I got home- but I could see the One Cent clear enough to know it was a US large cent and not a Canadian or private token. Already dug my first US large cent this spring an 1851, so I had my hopes up for an older one....

imageimage

Oh well, 1852, close , guess I will have to see if I can find a date set now for the 1850's. Note: The lines on the obverse I thought were scratches or graffiti, but under a loupe they looked raised, I think some of the other older copper I found also looked like this when fresh out of the ground, but the lines came off after a soaking in a potatoe. Will see, now I have to go suffer through the Mets blowing the national league east...

Update-see post below

Cleaned up photos of coin: new cleaning method- hot olive oil followed by bath in ice water

Comments

• Options
    that is an awesome find. a couple streets and sidewalks dug up in my town but I have not had any luck yet
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You suck. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I have 1850, and I remember Steve digging an 1848. Maybe amongst all of us we can do a large cent date set. image

(The Mighty Phut probably is well on the way to one, all by himself.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>You suck. image >>

...i'll second that and congratulate you on a nice find!...wtg!....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i> BTW, I have 1850, and I remember Steve digging an 1848. Maybe amongst all of us we can do a large cent date set >>

Plus the 1838 that I found the last time we were out..we would be on the way..
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Sweet find, Kevin!!
  • Options
    You definitely suck. image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Had about the same time Sunday night to go back to the spot and once again with darkness all around pulled another large copper-

Not a US large cent, but a Canadian 1919 large cent, second Canadian large cent I have found (previous was a 1917). This one looks to have been nearly new when dropped. Picture was taken after two days in a potato, the obverse unfortunately is still much worse- heavily corroded around center, funny how one side can be so clean the other -ugh. Anyways will have to try and hit the site sooner in the day sometime so I can do some real hunting! (only ended up digging 5 coins that night- the other four where modern lincolns).
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an interesting site.. two large coppers... I would spend a day there. Cheers, RickO